Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was the last time I found a two cent piece.. I was 16 year's old and swinging a Garrett Ground Hog. Found one yesterday, along with a three coin silver spill, a couple of ox shoes, and $1.61 in clad.
The two cent piece ( 1864) is in really great condition and has a lovely patina. Thank goodness all of the snow is finally gone...for now. Thanks for taking a look.
1864 2 cent piece 001.JPG 1864 2 cent piece 002.JPG 1864 2 cent piece 003.JPG 1864 2 cent piece 005.JPG 1864 2 cent piece 006.JPG

Upvote 21

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha, nice! And to think that coin was sitting right where you found it today, back in 1978. Nice shape to boot!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was the last time I found a two cent piece.. I was 16 year's old and swinging a Garrett Ground Hog. Found one yesterday, along with a three coin silver spill, a couple of ox shoes, and $1.61 in clad.
The two cent piece ( 1864) is in really great condition and has a lovely patina. Thank goodness all of the snow is finally gone...for now. Thanks for taking a look.

I've said before, but that coin is one of my favorite to find.

You have a VERY nice example of one!
Congrats!

And.....for nostalgic sake, here's something for you:

GROUNDHOG.jpg

Last edited:

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two center is in awesome condition. Congrats on he all the finds

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the beautiful 2-cent piece! :occasion14:

achetadomestica

Feb 5, 2017
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So does that mean the next one you find will be 2056? One every 39 years.
What a nice coin!
I found something weird last night. A 25c King George V silver coin.
I didn't have my glasses so I wasn't sure, my kid figured it out when I came home. The date is
completely washed out which added to the fun. A Canadian silver quarter in Florida, I'll take it
Mike

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, Talk about a workout. Swinging a groundhog. I still have one I don't use. It was my grandfathers. Found my first silver and Gold with it back in the 80's.

OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all your comments. I especially appreciated the pic from WHADIFIND of the old Groundhog...brought a tear to my eye.You never forget your first detector!

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Silvermonkey. I love the 2 cent coin....first US coin with the motto 'In Got We Trust'. I've been lucky enough to find two...both 1964. I'm in MA and have been out hunting as well. This weather is awesome! Time to re-stock on the bug spray though....the ticks were out in force yesterday.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find. I like finding 2 cent pieces, especially when they come up in good shape like yours. Your story reminds me of my own. Found my first 2 cent piece in 1981. Found my second in 2013. Ended up finding two that year, 4 in 2014, 7 in 2015 and 4 in 2016. Just found another on Friday. It seems once I found my second one they just started popping out of the ground. I hope you have the same luck.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tis the 2 cent season, sorry it took so long for you to score your second one. I have seen many posted recently here and other sites. They are great looking coins, normally come out clean with a great green patina.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread