First 1800's home site dig....oldest coin thus far...

deedoubleyou

Feb 26, 2017
Northern WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, . Simplex, White's 6000 di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've been doing some research and have narrowed down a list of potential old home sites and old roads that are not used anymore. I'm pretty new to all of this, so this was my first morning gong out to a spot that I had a good feeling had some old home sites based on maps and my memory from fishing the streams in the area over the years. Sure enough, I walked about 1/4 mile and found and old foundation. Scanning around there was definitely a lot of iron, but in the short time I could detect before a downpour hit, I found my oldest coin and my first pre 1900's. Super pumped! I cant wait to make it back there Wed morning to look for more without heavy rain and storms.

20170227_151258.jpg

20170227_151314.jpg

I cleaned it up with water and rubbed it a little with my thumb, but didn't try to get everything off. Looks to be in great shape. Should I clean it further than this or let it go?

Upvote 14

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An IH is a good sign

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice looking IHC. Congrats. Don't clean it any further, looks awesomely jade green.

Best of luck to you sir!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the beautiful IH! :occasion14:

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome! It looks to be in really good condition... to clean it further might drown out a lot of the details, but to toothpick it up a bit might not hurt much. I look forward to see what else comes out of there! Make sure to pick out all of the bigger iron and you'll likely find other targets close by. Good luck!!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats DDU...that is a STUNNER Indian Head penny!! And just like Tom and Driftwood say...it's plenty clean! Any further poking around WILL detract from it's great patina. Also, kudos on your research, most (myself included) run rampant in parks and schools before learning to research, though it did hone my skills and teach me about my machine. I'm sure we'll see great things from you! Ddf

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice green patina gives it character :occasion14:

OP
OP
deedoubleyou

deedoubleyou

Feb 26, 2017
Northern WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, . Simplex, White's 6000 di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I definitely like the patina look. I may see if a toothpick will get a little more dirt off, but might not even go that far with it. I've been playing with the Ace 250 since last summer but started out mostly finding trash. My house was built in 1920 and has had a couple additions and remodels, so there is a plethora of nails and junk in the yard, but after I put the small coil on, and turned the setting to coin or relic only I started finding a good bit of mostly modern coins, with a few wheat pennies and a buffalo nickel the other day. Honestly, I pretty much learned from reading this forum over the last year or so that if I want to find the good stuff, I have to put the research and time into finding good spots. I know of a few places that have activity as early as the 1780's and my dad told me about a potential confederate camp on some land I have permission to hunt on. Looking forward to a lot of metal detecting this summer. This is absolutely, totally, 100% addicting...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread