I found my very first silver ring in the scoop.

wygold

May 21, 2016
Chula Vista, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Dual Pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought my first metal detector, a Minelab X-Terra 705(Dec.2016). When I bought my detector, it was to help me get out of the house to be more active than sitting on my rear end stuffing my face with junk food, smoking cigarettes, playing Fallout 4, and watching too much tv. I first started out in my back yard then ended up at a couple of city parks in my neighborhood. I found a few coins mostly modern coins nothing to special and then I came across a small lapel pin from a local sports club. The pin is pretty messed up probably from a lawnmower but I thought it was an awesome find.

I had kept my eye on the weather and with this years winter dumping so much rain, I really didn't feel like going out in the rain, plus the city shut down all city parks due to safety concerns with several storms rolling into the area. I thought well maybe I could try the beach. I have problems getting to the beach as I don't drive nor do I own a vehicle. I have to rely on public transportation to get around. So I can't get out as often as I would like to.

I also felt that if I do go out to the beach, what kind of reactions would I get when swinging my MD, who would try to bother me or harass me. After reading a post from another member about a individual trying to chase off a MDist on the beach so that they could have it all to themselves. So I got the courage to get out and try the beach. Although there's miles along miles of coast I still feel that I would be harassed or that the area would be overworked with others doing the same and would end up walking away with nothing. I'm trying not to step on other people's feet while trying to enjoy this new hobby, but you never know with today's society.

The first day at the beach, I didn't get harassed nor did anyone come up to me to find out what I have found. I didn't have much luck as I kept finding junk and a few modern coins. More junk than anything else, but I said to myself "at least I'm helping out the environment in removing the junk from the beach/parks" with the amount of junk that I found I wouldn't want my kids(if I had any) go and play in the sand. It was on the fifth trip to the beach and I was about to wrap up the day when I got another hit. I was thinking it was probably another piece of melted aluminum pieces due to the fire pits near were I got the target and when I looked in my scoop I couldn't believe my eyes. I found my very first silver ring! I had to keep myself from exploding into joy and alerting others to what I had just found. So I took a quick break and examined the ring, small and very light and the design I thought was very interesting. The ring is shaped like a belt with the markings on the inside of the ring reading .925 Mexico.

After that day I try to get out more often and I also managed to give up my cigarette habit. So the past couple of trips I haven't found anything else with the exception of the junk and coins. I did find a couple more rings, one being a "below the belt ring" and another not turning out to be a ring at all.

Anyways I'm having fun and I wish everyone good luck and happy hunting.
IMG_1227.JPG IMG_1228.JPG

Upvote 20

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Thanks for sharing the story. Grats to ya on the silver find. Keep it up and you'll be amazed at the keepers you'll accumulate.
And super grats to ya on kicking the habit! Those damn things are still my worst crutch.

HH and good luck all!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing the story! Congratulations on the nice silver ring.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the TN Site .
Thanks For cleaning up all that trash & congratz on a Ring you will always remember.
P.S. Parks & the Beach are YOUR Hunting Grounds.

Here's to your future Finds.:occasion14:

Last edited:

JamesR1964

Jul 11, 2015
Eastern Long Island NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Radio shack special, Bounty Hunter 505, Whites Treasure Master, Garret Carrot pro pointer. Whites V3i added 11/3/15Whites Surf Dual Field PI added 5/5/16 - 2/17 Etrac added 11/16 Whites Beach Hunter 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job! You're hooked now! Congratulations on the smoking! Keep hitting the beach. That's were a lot of jewelry is lost. Look up on line and utube beach hunting to help you out with your settings and were to look. When some one asks what you found. Tell them pull tabs,penny's and junk. You will be rewarded for taking the garbage that you pick up and throw out! May God bless you brother! Life will get better when you continue to do the next right thing! Don't let anyone tell you were you can hunt! Of course except for the police! I'm not sure in your state. But in NY the hide tide mark is open to anyone! If you need any help just ask here! Happy hunting!

TLK55

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2017
Central NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm like you / detecting gets me out of the house & keeps me active / and when I have interacted with people it has been positive so far , just remember to be respectful of others and always fill in your holes on the beach / and repair your grass plugs at the parks so that no one has a reason to complain. Nice ring

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sound like you are at a critical juncture in the path here. I suspect you have the makings of the "obsessed metal detector guy" who shows up with killer finds at the club meetings and a terribly sunburned face and pale white ears. This is a bittersweet path to follow, my friend. Consider every single step wisely.

Nice find!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver ring - some of the best silver jewelry comes from Mexico. And you are going to love your Xterra.

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to Go. When I started detecting I used public transportation as well.
The more you detect the more you will find. :thumbsup:

Engineer in MD

Jan 6, 2011
Berlin/Ocean City, MD
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites Eagle II SL, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver ring, nice find!
Extra congrats on giving up the cigs. You will be so much better off for doing so. Very happy for you. Keep digging.

Sent from my phone via Tapatalk

nor kal kid

Feb 19, 2014
northern kalifornia, Bay area
Detector(s) used
XLT, Mxt all pro, garrett pp.coils 10"DD, 950, 12"spyder.for mxt all pro. Coils for xlt 950 and 15" magnum force field "depth plus"mxt max coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the ring,also for quitting the cigs.if you want to get the gold u gotta dig everything.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
W

wygold

May 21, 2016
Chula Vista, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Dual Pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to thank everyone who commented on my post. You guys give me the encouragement to continue on my new found hobby. Yes I can see myself as one of those guys at a local club meeting burnt from head to toe showing off my cool finds. I spent the day at the beach yesterday and I didn't find hardly anything with the exception of a saint John pendant that appears to be silver but I don't think it is. I didn't even find any trash yesterday but I can barely move today because I'm so red. I guess next time I will use suntan lotion. Happy hunting to everyone and good luck to all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread