Draped Bust, neck stock buckle pieces, and buttons...

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I did about 45 minutes in an iron patch/trash pit in an area of a site I'd dismissed. Lots of iron was dug but a few squeaks popped through resulting in the following items. Last target was a Largie...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489021183.109816.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489021196.406589.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489021210.151832.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489021220.900109.jpg

I believe this is neck stock buckle tongue and frame piece, but can't find a close enough example to confirm. Input??
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489021231.755878.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489021250.235663.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489021259.236539.jpg

Enjoy and good digs

Steve

Upvote 27
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice hunt man :icon_thumleft: You're killing it lately. I really like the stock buckle piece and the DB is awesome too. I hope to get out some next week, weather permitting.

Thanks buddy! A Draped is always a good day for me, and the neck stock buckle (pieces) was my first. I hope you get out next week buddy. We're supposed to get 8"+ last I heard

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Not bad for a spot you'd given up on steve. It's amazing how many times that happens. I'm sure there's more ....

If I had a nice find for every time I said that...lol.

Truth is I probably say it too often. But as I put in more and more years detecting and pit digging, I'm seeing that often enough a site's potential is seldom realized at first. Or even after 10 visits. I'm must admit that seeing a pictures of you 4 feet down in a pit, and in various other pictures of your adventures, is inspirational. Cheers buddy

Last edited:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Chris. We're very lucky all over the NorthEast as you also demonstrated on your last post. Thanks for looking and I'm glad you found some time to get out (with OD)

Thanks buddy, I'm just trying to get out as much as I can and make some killer finds

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only motivation for finding things is to send Abe into a fury. You should see the guy go when he's amped up. He'll destroy a whole hillside in minutes.

Besides, I'll slow down this summer when everything is completely overgrown.

Then you can get in that sludgy New Jersey water and find relics...

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WAIT A MINUTE GOT SEE THIS PART , THE WAY SHE FLIPS HER HAIR , RITA HEYWORTH IN SHAWSHANK DANG SCRAP NICE FINDS . BUCKLE LOOKS FAMILIAR .

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice draped bust Steve. Can't help you with the buckle tongue but hopefully it is from a neck stock. Keep doing those short hunts-they really work well for you.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice short hunt

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Stuff Scrappy. That buckle piece is nice and a draped bust LC certainly never hurt anyone. :headbang:

Rob

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt!! Draped bust has some great detail, Congrats!! Creature from the black lagoon.... man we're dating ourselves now.......

Bitdrop

Nov 23, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is that button the square hole in it if it is that at all?? I found one that is EXACTLY the same at a revolutionary war encampment/1790s home site recently.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice draped bust Steve. Can't help you with the buckle tongue but hopefully it is from a neck stock. Keep doing those short hunts-they really work well for you.

You have a good point Glenn. I'm not sure why I even try long hunts on the weekends. As for the buckle, I couldn't find an exact example, but the other two similar options were a garter and knee buckle. Both of those didn't match up with sizing with the buckle being well over two inches wide.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice hunt!! Draped bust has some great detail, Congrats!! Creature from the black lagoon.... man we're dating ourselves now.......

Great flick! That's what happens when you swim in Northern NJ inland waterways. Lol

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What is that button the square hole in it if it is that at all?? I found one that is EXACTLY the same at a revolutionary war encampment/1790s home site recently.

It's an escutcheon plate for furniture hardware. Most likely a drawer pull. I enjoy finding them, but dagonnit they sound so nice that you think they're a coin.

Here's my favourite example of one I've found.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489241764.328332.jpg

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds like usual for you. I wish I could say for sure stock buckle piece, but not sure if it is or not, above my pay grade for that type of buckle! :) Here is a photo from a book I have showing three examples of similar type and one that I have that is possibly a three prong stock buckle or knee, since mine is small like a breach buckle size. Also included a stock clasp I found years ago.

Don

Attachments

• Stock Buckle sample.JPG
    Stock Buckle sample.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 65
  • StockBuckl2Studs.jpg
    StockBuckl2Studs.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 44
  • StockClasp.jpg
    StockClasp.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds like usual for you. I wish I could say for sure stock buckle piece, but not sure if it is or not, above my pay grade for that type of buckle! :) Here is a photo from a book I have showing three examples of similar type and one that I have that is possibly a three prong stock buckle or knee, since mine is small like a breach buckle size. Also included a stock clasp I found years ago.

Don

Thanks for those resources Don. I too can't say for sure and my guess is instead based on size and the closest example. I'm positive it's old, however;)

Thanks for checking in bud

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread