WOW just dug my first plate! Looking like Pre-CW Militia Eagle!

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to post this before grad school again! I should be reading about government budgeting but I'm too excited (Sorry to those of you who love government budgeting haha) I'll post my finds this morning first then post my finds from the last time out.

We got a ton of rain yesterday down here in Charleston and the colonial site that VMI and I are always digging loves the cold. Every time it's cold and wet it seems like we find something good. Today I decided to start where we park and hit an area where there is a lot of aluminum trash so its hard digging. I got a really high tone and it was loud so immediately I think its a can. But i dug my Slave tag about 10 yards away so i knew to dig it anyway. The second I saw it I threw my gloves off and texted VMI a series of expletives...he replied "dude, what did you dig!" I sent him a pic of the plate and he replied with worse expletives than I had originally sent him. He needs to find Jesus clearly. With Steve's plate so fresh in my memory I knew what I had was special. I don't think it is as old as his but we are thinking 1840's 1850's. I have been trying to find another example of it and found one dug down in SC as well which leads me to believe it was a South Carolina Militia plate, but I do have feelers out trying to narrow it down further. Its bent but its a beauty. Im guessing I could send it to someone to fix? not sure. But my FIRST plate!

IMG_4341.jpg IMG_4346.jpg IMG_4347.jpg

Here is the rest of what I found today. I found a coin/token that came in low but looks like an old copper that has been worn pretty bad. There is writing around the edge the letters i can make out thus far are "OLUSE" can also almost make out some kind of design at the bottom of the coin. I keep seeing two busts like a William and Mary but its probably just my eyes playing tricks.

IMG_4352.jpg IMG_4353.jpg

I also pulled a little underwear button. Not sure how old these are. A tiny piece of porcelain but luckily it had the crest on the back which I think is the British motto and crest not sure what that tells us other than its british. Found a big ole turn of the century spoon. And a broken piece of a buckle and a brass whatzit.

IMG_4348.jpg IMG_4349.jpg IMG_4350.jpg IMG_4354.jpg IMG_4351.jpg

Here are the finds from last weekend. First good signal was surrounded by poison oak/summac/ivy of course but it was a screamer. This is the biggest dandy and nicest dandy I've ever dug. Pretty happy with how it cleaned up with some alum.jelly as well. The gold gilt is more of a rose gold which is unusual from what I usually see. Dug some other buttons with flower designs and a tombac. The oval brass is a turn of the century brooch and I found the 1918 wheatie in the same hole. Cool piece of porcelain with what looks like "MARYLAND" on it. And the typical shell/feather edge.

IMG_4320.jpg IMG_4321.jpg IMG_4323.jpg IMG_4334.jpg IMG_4335.jpg IMG_4336.jpg IMG_4337.jpg

As always thanks for looking and good luck out there! Also for all my fellow Irish, have a great St. Paddy's, Sláinte!

UPDATE: After reaching out to some other detectorist they pointed me in the right direction and gave me a website that had the same design as my plate. Looking like 1832-1836 with the arrows pointing down. Seems like this plate would have belonged to a local militia and not state or fed. http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/05_finds_beltplate.shtml

Last edited:
Upvote 52

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! What a great haul! That plate is just beautiful! If you decide to do any cleaning, I'd love to see some more pics. Also, the big dandy is phenomenal... best I've seen.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me be the first to say... Wow! Incredible pile of relics and the militia plate clearly the centerpiece. Get that beauty cleaned up and across the top. Congrats bud

Thanks bud! Im gonna take my sweet time cleaning it...don't want to make any mistakes. I'm pretty pumped. Hope we can find more info about it and hopefully you will dig its friend next time youre out there.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! What a great haul! That plate is just beautiful! If you decide to do any cleaning, I'd love to see some more pics. Also, the big dandy is phenomenal... best I've seen.

Yessir the plan is to take it slow with some light tooth picking and brushing..no water. The dirt was pretty damp on it when i dug it so I'm letting it dry up a little bit. Thank you!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy cow that's an awesome hunt.
Congrats

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That militia plate is awesome, but I think I like that dandy button just as much. That's a gorgeous one for sure. Great hunt!

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. Awesome display piece. Eagle plates are usually automatic banners. I have no idea what variety you have or how rare they are. I have never dug one:(. I wonder if these are dug more over say a complete spectacle buckle

Last edited:

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't help with the plate but look forward to seeing the final consensus. In the meantime, that dandy is in the top 5 I've ever seen, possibly the finest ever. Well played, sir. :icon_thumright:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow-what a KILLER plate-I'm jelly! But a big congratulations to you. The dandy really is a dandy; regarding the coin you should try the cold peroxide soak. I looks like there are enough letters there to eventually (after the soak) id it.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this will help. It could say "Carolus ___" which would make it a Spanish coin but it's hard to tell.

IMG_4352.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That militia plate is awesome, but I think I like that dandy button just as much. That's a gorgeous one for sure. Great hunt!

Thanks Bill. Since its my first plate i'm pretty stoked but when i dug that Dandy I was pretty shocked...never seen a button that big or that nice. You can see how sandy the soil was. Must have helped it somehow. Went really light on the aluminum jelly and it popped!

Oldhand

Feb 8, 2017
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow!! what fantastic finds! Congrats! Here in Virginia its cold and windy and it rained all night. I hope to get out tomorrow if that pesky 4 letter word "work" doesn't get in the way. One of our fields loves the rain also!

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some real nice finds bud. That Plate is killer. Had to look in my Sydney Kerksis book to see if i could find it. Looks like this one per page 175 might be it. How does US Militia,1812 sound. Congrats. Super Jealous, and banner worthy.

Attachments

• P3140001.JPG
    P3140001.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 111
  • P3140002.JPG
    P3140002.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 96

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread