Civil war grave marker, barber+merc dime. IHP

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back to the 1905 church I hunted a week ago or so and found a railroad token, and merc dime, plus a v nickel on that hunt.

This time around things started off with the usual wheats. After working around the church to the back that I really never hit yet, and working up the side I got a typical f75 dime reading. Bouncing back and forth from 78-80, maybe 82 on the readout. Dug a deep plug and out pops a 1900 Barber dime! Sweet! Dug a half dozen clad quarters, and some modern dimes, and a few more wheats. Last target before lunch was a cheap copper/brass looking ring with fake stones.

I went home and took a couple hour break, then got back out. Dug more clad, and a bunch of wheaties. Then another silver dime signal, and bam, a merc. A couple signals after out popped a silver sterling ring! The wife says it looks like an older class ring. The top is missing.

The last target I dug before it got completely dark was a 91 on the readout and an overload siren when I pinpointed it. I figured it was big iron junk and I pulled this star from under the sod with 1800's writing. After some research it belongs to one of the Graves next door in the grave yard. These were given to some civil war soldiers by the county commissioners! Last Saturday there were woman cleaning the church getting it ready for Sunday services. I am going over there tomorrow to see how to get this back on the correct grave that some A hole messed with.

Actually pretty neat to find it and get it back where it belongs! Would have just sat there forever I'll bet had it not been detected. All in all a fun day. 11 wheaties, a barber dime, merc dime, buffalo nickel, silver ring, and an 1889 ihp. Don't know when I dug this since they look like wheats when dug and I was trying to hustle. I do remember a DEEP one though. Probably it...

Good luck to everyone on their weekend hunts 20170324_213022.jpg 20170324_213032.jpg 20170324_213013.jpg 20170324_213039.jpg !

Upvote 13

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! multiple silvers, wheats, Indians...but the star of the show is...well, the star! Excellent save, and I'm sure the church elders and/or caretaker will be more than happy to get that back and get it where it belongs..I expect a pic with it back in its rightful place!..congrats...Ddf

TheButtonKing

Jun 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Nice finds man. I really like that grave marker. FYI: in case u didn't know, that grave marker is civil war but the GAR stands for grand army of the republic. I've found a button from the grand army of the republic and that was cool just like this

Last edited:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice array of finds.
Keep em coming

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats a nice pile and good job on the return of the marker. I hope they can figure out where it belongs.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great hunt and nice job!

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a nice pile and good job on the return of the marker. I hope they can figure out where it belongs.

Me too. That is one thing that irritates me is when people mess with someones grave. How low can one go?

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you found the buffet of finds. I hope you can find the right grave for the grave marker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread