Cattaraugus 225Q WWII Special Forces Knife Find!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And I didn't even need a metal detector for this one! A while back, I bought a 1966 F100 and am currently in the midst of an off-frame restoration for that old classic. When I picked it up, I asked the previous owner if he wanted anything still in the cab of truck, i.e., some jumper cables, an old socket set, etc. He said, "No, you are welcome to anything I left in it." When I got it home, I found what appeared to be just an old rusted hunting knife under the seat. I almost threw it away, but decided to toss it up on my workbench so I could use it for a digging tool or something. I picked it up for the first time since that yesterday and began using a wire brush to clean it up. It was then I noticed the maker's mark: "Cattaraugus 225Q."

The Cattaraugus 225Q was a commando utility knife designed for U.S. Special Forces during WWII. It is also often referred to as the "Quartermaster knife." It has a 6" blade and is a full 3/16" thick. The handle is made of stacked leather rings. It sports a steel butt cap that's almost a full 1/2" thick. Besides a fighting weapon, the knife was often used to pry open crates, as well as a makeshift hammer. It has that quality "heft" feel to it. I got all the rust off, put a quick edge on it, cleaned and put a conditioner on the leather and oiled the steel. It is one tough tool and I'm so pleased to have been able to save this piece of American military history.

The 1st pic is of the handle before cleaning and conditioned, the 2nd one, after.

cattaraugus handle before.jpg cattaraugus handle after.jpg cattaraugus mark.jpg cattaraugus knife.jpg cattaraugus butt.jpg cattaraugus ad.jpg

Upvote 14

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was NOT designed or made for commandos or US Special Forces, it was designed and made for general troops, quartermasters specifically, but some were issued to infantry combat troops. They are one of the most common WW2 knives and as you say very strong and well built and yours is a good user but not really in collector quality due to it's rough condition. Go to Frank Trzaska's military knife site for more info. Only one knife was designed and specifically made for the FSSF or First Special Service Force, an American and Canadian venture with servicemen from both countries, and it was a dagger style knife called the V-42 and only made by Case. There were no Green Berets or Seals in WW2, only the FSSF, Marine Raiders, and US Rangers. Rangers were not issued 225Qs either, they were issued M3 fighting knives. Marine Raiders were issued another dagger made only by Camillus but some units ordered V44 large bowie style knives made by Collins. The Marine Raider knife by Camillus was a little fragile and most marines preferred the MK2 KA-BAR USMC knives which were made by several companies. Enjoy your find, but it is not a Special Forces knife. By the way, come on over to the Shenandoah Valley Knife show March 31-April 2nd at the Rockingham County fairgrounds on rte 11 in Harrisonburg. I will have many original WW2 knives for display and sale and there will be many other vendors with WW2 knives there as well as custom knives and many antique and collectible pocket and hunting knives. Come on over and see some fine cutlery!!

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was NOT designed or made for commandos or US Special Forces, it was designed and made for general troops, quartermasters specifically, but some were issued to infantry combat troops. They are one of the most common WW2 knives and as you say very strong and well built and yours is a good user but not really in collector quality due to it's rough condition. Go to Frank Trzaska's military knife site for more info. Only one knife was designed and specifically made for the FSSF or First Special Service Force, an American and Canadian venture with servicemen from both countries, and it was a dagger style knife called the V-42 and only made by Case. There were no Green Berets or Seals in WW2, only the FSSF, Marine Raiders, and US Rangers. Rangers were not issued 225Qs either, they were issued M3 fighting knives. Marine Raiders were issued another dagger made only by Camillus but some units ordered V44 large bowie style knives made by Collins. The Marine Raider knife by Camillus was a little fragile and most marines preferred the MK2 KA-BAR USMC knives which were made by several companies. Enjoy your find, but it is not a Special Forces knife. By the way, come on over to the Shenandoah Valley Knife show March 31-April 2nd at the Rockingham County fairgrounds on rte 11 in Harrisonburg. I will have many original WW2 knives for display and sale and there will be many other vendors with WW2 knives there as well as custom knives and many antique and collectible pocket and hunting knives. Come on over and see some fine cutlery!!

Hello Gunsil - thanks for the correction. I'll try to make the knife show. I also own a KA-BAR USMC (USA Made), but like this one better.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have my dad's old M3 trench knife in the sheath from WWII, but i'll be damned if i can find it...took it and hid it from one of my boys years ago to keep him from playing with it...you think i would remember but for the life of me I can't.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Gunsil - thanks for the correction. I'll try to make the knife show. I also own a KA-BAR USMC (USA Made), but like this one better.

I hope you do come to the show, I'd like to discuss some of your detectors besides knives. If I get my same space I'll be in the first room against the wall leading to the second room. Skinny guy approaching seventy, wearing a tan ball cap. I would like to hear about your Deus and Nokta, especially the Deus. I have collected knives for many years, been detecting almost as long, always like meeting others with similar likes or hobbies or passions.
Regards, Gene

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my dad's old M3 trench knife in the sheath from WWII, but i'll be damned if i can find it...took it and hid it from one of my boys years ago to keep him from playing with it...you think i would remember but for the life of me I can't.

I hope you find it! Did it have an M6 leather sheath? If so one of those sheaths are worth over 300 bucks in good shape. Blades with maker and 1943 on the blade are also very collectible and pricey in good shape. What unit did your dad serve in? Sadly, my father was captured at the Bulge and barely survived the Nazi Stalag 9B, one of the worst camps during the war. Needless to say he did not bring back anything but his life and horrible memories of POW atrocities by Nazis home from the war.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it was in one of those hard green cases, they fit in tight almost with a snap. Every now and then I go "aha!" "did I look there?"...nothing.... Dad served in the 41st and was part of the first division deployed during the war. He spent most his time in New Guinea. He never watched a war movie in his life...told me for him, war wasn't entertainment.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

It'll turn up eventually.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i got one from my great great uncle lt. mustermann he was a medic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread