First Civil War Button!…Sort of

SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
My daughter wanted to go metal detecting for her 14th birthday, so we headed out to one of our favorite spots. It is an 1880's farmstead, out on the edge of a field. There is nothing left of this place except the metal in the ground. The only reason we know it is there is from the accounts of the old timers. We've been over it so many times now, that it's getting hard to come up with anything noteworthy, but we always seem to manage one good pull so we continue to hunt it. Eventually I swept over this and my daughter dug it up and pin pointed it. I'd never heard of or seen one before. She looked it up, and it turned out to be a button from The Grand Army of the Republic.

According to Wikipedia "The "Grand Army of the Republic" (GAR) was a fraternal organization composed of veterans of the Union Army (United States Army), Union Navy (U.S. Navy), Marines and the U.S. Revenue Cutter Service who served in the American Civil War for the Northern/Federal forces. Founded in 1866 in Decatur, Illinois, and growing to include hundreds of posts (local community units) across the nation, (predominately in the North, but also a few in the South and West), it was dissolved in 1956 when its last member, Albert Woolson (1850—1956) of Duluth, Minnesota, died."

Anyway, we were pretty happy with it, and it turned into a nice little history lesson, as detecting often does. Thanks for looking.

IMG_2628_zps7gajnqno.jpg

IMG_2629_zpshrzdyjqv.jpg

Upvote 27

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice button rescue. We had a GAR Memorial Hall building here in my town across from the courthouse. I believe it's a lawyers office now, imagine that. Happy late B-Day to your daughter and cherish the time together.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find! That would look great in any CW collection. Nice follow up on research. 🍻

HH, RN

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a Sweet button!! I found a GAR badge earlier in the year.
Unbelievable the history lessons dirtdiggers get.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a nice find. The grave marker I recently dug had the GAR on it.

OP
OP
SweepNbeep

SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everybody. It's nice to be among others who appreciate such things. To be honest, I don't think most the people I know would find it all that interesting. We were in Mississippi earlier this year, and we were really hoping to find a civil war relic, but we never did. We came away with some really cool stuff, but nothing one could definitively say was from the war. Civil War finds are pretty hard to come by in MN, and this might be as close as we'll ever get around here. About all a guy can hope for is to find something a veteran brought back up North, and that's gotta be rare. But, this'll tide us over until we can get back down south.

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to you and your daughter!! :occasion14:
It is cool that she wanted to go out MDing for her birthday! I hunt with my son and we have a blast together.
Hope she enjoyed her day and keeps going out with you. These are awesome times... I cherish my memories.

OP
OP
SweepNbeep

SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
She loves it as much as I do, and I do love the time together. My other kids enjoy it too, but she was the only one who wanted to hunt with me in the rain on Super Bowl Sunday, soaked to the core, and we found dozens of arrowheads. She's a little die hard.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She loves it as much as I do, and I do love the time together. My other kids enjoy it too, but she was the only one who wanted to hunt with me in the rain on Super Bowl Sunday, soaked to the core, and we found dozens of arrowheads. She's a little die hard.

Thats awesome!!! Sounds like you can get out and have fun with the whole family. Nothing better than that. Enjoy while you can, they grow so fast!!
How do the arrow heads look? Any good ones?

OP
OP
SweepNbeep

SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, some real dandys. It was a day we'll never forget. I don't know if it was the rain or what? We were just on the spot that day. I hope to get back in that field again sometime, after a good plowing and some more rain.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the G.A.R. Button and the arrow heads.
Spending time with your daughter is the icing on the cake.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find! Congrats! :icon_thumleft: This hobby does get you into exploring the history around the areas you hunt. I talk to a man weekly who has extensive historical knowledge of our town. I tried to find where a park was, its name was in a lot of articles in old newspapers. Came up empty. Asked him one day and he said "Oh yeah that's where the VFW post is now. Everyone used to picnic there." He then gave me the lowdown on a few places to hunt. 8-)

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and welcome to the new treasure hunter!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread