Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those of you that know me know about my find of a lifetime that I made in 2015 when in January I found the wreath half of a CW tongue and wreath buckle. Two months later after many sleepless nights at the same site I found the other half.
Well, yesterday I couldn't go and today we had a family get together so I only had a little time this morning. I decided to put the small coil on the CTX and do some experimenting in my yard. There was an old house here before mine and I have found several coins, relics, and flat buttons in my yard to date in the 1800s. The yard is loaded with iron and square nails, and there is always more than one target in a plug. I have never found anything CW or military here before. Today I was trying different settings and techniques and was digging lots of mixed signals when I got a decent signal that I knew was mixed with iron. There was a huge rock that the signal was against and I darn near died when I seen the wreath from another CW buckle!!

View attachment 1437233 View attachment 1437234 View attachment 1437235

Well, needless to say the rock had to go, but I did not find the tounge. I didn't have time to hunt much longer but I suspect my yard will be a mine field before long. I will definitely be building a sifter soon.
I can't believe that I found this, and I'm stoked!!!
Here comes the sleepless nights! Just goes to show that you never know what you'll find. Wish me luck.

1cca21c571ed6f33039d57b30af8d48b.jpg
19e1b64c40fe0f1b4ba22ae8da5e20bd.jpg
c85e7286bfea5843c6a4144cad95248c.jpg

View attachment 1437236

HH, RN

Upvote 27
OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont know why the other pics didnt load. Here is the rock and all my finds
td1.jpg td2.jpg td3.jpg td4.jpg

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you weren't kidding about the rock. Nice finds!

Jacobsdt

Jan 9, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75 ltd, Garrett Pro Pointer and a little luck
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that is awesome. I need to go over my yard again. All I have found are some fired 3 ringers and a lot of beer cans from the 70's when my house was built. Congrats.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. That rock looks hand hewed.

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is awesome. I need to go over my yard again. All I have found are some fired 3 ringers and a lot of beer cans from the 70's when my house was built. Congrats.
Yes you should. I have been over this yard and that spot many times in the last three and a half years.

HH, RN

K. FLEMING

Feb 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you can bet one corner of the house was sitting on that rock. Awesome finds.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! Wouldn't it be spectacular if you can find the other half of yet another wreath? Haha good luck man!

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! Wouldn't it be spectacular if you can find the other half of yet another wreath? Haha good luck man!
Don't know if I could handle it! But I'm dang sure gonna try!

HH, RN

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome score RN especially it being on your property. I suspect that stone is one of many that supported a structure. There are probably more of them in that area.

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Backyard Minefield Club! Looking forward to see what else you find. ; )

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I'm sure that was one of the building stones. These stones and debris are buried and scattered through the yard so I suspect what was left of the old house was pushed in and buried. I've been cherry picking here for a few years but I guess know I'm going to have to get serious, grid it and sweep it clean. I'll use the small coil and dig everything until it starts to quiet down, then I will switch to the big coil.
I'm glad this is my yard.
Better get some grass seed.

HH, RN

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I can feel your excitement!

Congrats on the score, and I wish you the very best in recovering the other half.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find! I've found two tongues and no wreaths so I have the opposite problem. I hear that's the case with many lost buckle halves of this type. Keep looking and I hope you find it. Good luck!!!

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! I've found two tongues and no wreaths so I have the opposite problem. I hear that's the case with many lost buckle halves of this type. Keep looking and I hope you find it. Good luck!!!
The other one was at a CW site and I never thought I'd find both half's. This one was most likely in the house when it was torn down so I'm telling myself that the chances are good if it's not too deep. But then again, the odds are against me to do this twice. Time will tell.

HH, RN

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread