🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out a few days after work last week for a total of about 10 hours of hunting at a few different spots. I scored a well worn, but still ID-able King George I half penny. I also got a beautiful hand wrought complete hoe blade from a colonial site. I dug a second one at the same site, however it was broken in half. The worlds tiniest thimble also made an appearance and the hand made bricks I brought home to use in my displays. I also cleaned up a tin cup that wasnt far from the KG copper... its crushed, but old and cool looking.

IMG_20170409_154223.jpg

This is my first colonial copper of the year and its an early one. A small right facing bust with "IVS" still visible above King George. I may be able to clean the reverse some more and possibly get a date, but there's such a small date range these were made.

IMG_20170407_235710~2.jpg

I was very happy to pull this from an elbow deep hole. I put it through electrolysis this weekend and it just came out of the hot wax. There were two hand wrought nails through the neck when I dug it. I suppose they used them as the wedge in the handle. They're pretty far gone, but I have them in the garage and I might try and tumble them later on.

IMG_20170408_084220.jpg

This ax turned up at a different spot where the IHPs came from. I believe its from the second half of the 19th century and they used two bolts through the eye as a wedge in its wooden handle. The bolts are still jammed in there.

IMG_20170408_084253.jpg

This tin cup isn't the type of thing I typically keep, however I noticed it still had its handle so I decided to try and do something with it. This was close to the KG and hoe blade and I believe its also colonial and similar to the picture from "Collectors Illustrated Encyclopedia of The American Revolution". The handle is bent on the edges in the same way and its soldered in a similar fashion. I stuck it in oxalic acid for about 24 hours and it cleaned up nicely.

IMG_20170408_085136.jpg

This pocket knife was a HUGE surprise. I was looking through my iron pile yesterday and pulled out this concretion that I assumed was just a hunk of iron from something... then I noticed wood grain on it. I grabbed my tack hammer and lightly tapped it and the concretion broke off reveling a very well preserved wood handle pocket knife :headbang: I don't even remember which spot this one came from, but if I had to guess, I'd say its 1850's or so. This is the second time I've found a concretion that was protecting preserved wood. I think it might have something to do with the interaction of wood and iron in wet soil.. you can see rocks embedded like concrete in the concretion. After chipping it out and using a dental pick to clean it up, I gave it two coats of Tung Oil to solidify it.

IMG_20170408_154515.jpg

The was the best signal I heard in a while and when I saw a round thing I was thinking it was a BIG copper. I knew it wasnt another watch, but thought either a compact, however with the loop on it I was HOPEFUL it was a compass. I was able to pry it open and... compass it was! It's the most modern find of the bunch, but I was still happy to dig something so unique. It says "West Germany" on it, which helped me narrow the date range and after googling some it appears to be 1950's or so.

IMG_20170403_171542.jpg

This long skinny brass piece also came from the KG site. Its hammered on one end with a crude hole. On the other end it was cut down the middle of the square rod and split to form a Y with a small iron pin at the end of the Y. (obviously half of the Y is missing) I'm calling it a handle to a candle snuffer with a bell on it, where the bell would have pivoted between the Y split.

IMG_20170408_142050.jpg

Similar to this one, however what I found is much more basic and I cant find a less fancy one to compare it to. I'm open to any other suggestions on what it might be though.

il_340x270.1072644692_4lmf.jpg

This is the smallest thimble I've ever seen! The buttons are for size comparison. I am guessing either a child's toy, or a thimble for a 5 year old (or so) to learn sewing.

IMG_20170403_213038~2.jpg

A couple nice rose heads from the KG site that I tumbled.

IMG_20170409_112537.jpg

Better pictures of the group

IMG_20170409_154251.jpg IMG_20170409_154306.jpg
IMG_20170409_154239.jpg IMG_20170409_154244.jpg

This scythe handle with the brass ferrule attached was a cool thing to dig. I've found the pieces separate, but never still together.

IMG_20170409_154258.jpg IMG_20170409_154320.jpg

The oil lamp still has its wick in it.

IMG_20170409_154327.jpg

Its incredible to see the wood grain in this preserved pocket knife.

IMG_20170409_154331.jpg

A few pewter buttons turned up and one has a nice design on it (left of KG). Also a cool cuff sized domed tombac.

IMG_20170409_154335.jpg IMG_20170409_154346.jpg

... and the iron and trash (some is still in electrolysis and not in this post)

IMG_20170408_083441.jpg

This was a hunt from Sat April 1st using only my GPX. It wasnt enough for me to post it then, so I'm tacking it on this post. After the DIV hunt, I felt like I knew the GPX so much better and gave it another spin at a hard hit site of mine. I didn't do too bad, however I didn't take a picture of the iron and this small handful represented 4 hours of hunting. The reality is that a deep nail or a bent nail sounds just like a good target. I can tell most iron and some nails, but to hunt around a house with a GPX is a lot of digging. It shines relic hunting at DIV hunts where occupancy was limited to a brief time and not spanning 100's of years like around a house. However, I still feel like I know the machine much better now and it is awesome to have in my arsenal.

IMG_20170401_154414.jpg

One of the etched tombacs was a close match to two others I dug there in the past. They're all the same pattern, but just slightly different in their etching.

IMG_20170401_210234~2.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting everyone :occasion14:

Last edited:
Upvote 37
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent finds and post.
Congrats

Thank you Relicific!

Great assortment of finds, you really did a nice job on the restoration of the iron also. The long brass rod reminded me of a rod that would hold the pendulum in a big clock. The round brass thingy reminds me of one I dug up today, not exact though. Would they be off a salt shaker?
View attachment 1437575

Thanks a ton pepperj! I'll google around and see if it could perhaps be a clock pendulum rod. I didn't even think of that. Your piece also looks like it has a tab on one side too... and you're right, the design on yours does remind me of a salt shaker top. Mines tiny though, cuff button sized... so I don't think mine would be big enough for a salt shaker. Thanks a ton for the ideas and feedback man.

A quality post Brad with a nice range of finds. You did some good preservation work as usual. I really like the tombacs with designs. Great hunts all around.

Thanks a ton man :occasion14: The cup didn't turn out so bad. haha I also have what I believe is the bottom of a percussion cap tin that came from the same area as the musket balls. It's still in the oxalic acid, but I'll send you a picture of it later. I'd be interested in hearing if you think it is a cap tin.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Brad. Good to see you getting out and doing well my friend!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the awesome post and pics Brad.

Congrats on all of the goodies!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs Brad. Good to see you getting out and doing well my friend!

Thanks a ton Steve! I haven't been able to get out as much as I'd like to this year, but hopefully this summer I'll have some more free time. Looks like you've had some great hunts recently... that weight is really awesome.

Thanks for the awesome post and pics Brad.

Congrats on all of the goodies!

Thanks a ton Tom :occasion14: I really appreciate it man.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Totally awesome Brad. You're a role model to the future generations of detectorists

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds! You do a really nice job on the electrolysis those iron items look great!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some serious relics, congrats on those great finds! Like the pictures very much, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the finds! You do a really nice job on the electrolysis those iron items look great!

Thanks man... I'm still processing more iron from this hunt, but nothing as nice. Just ox shoes and broken hoe blades.

That's some serious relics, congrats on those great finds! Like the pictures very much, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Thank you Bill. Always great to hear when people enjoy a post. I enjoy putting a post together, although it does take a bit of time to do. :occasion14:

Thank you CASPER-2!

Thank you vpnavy!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding play by play, narrative, and pictures Brad. Looks like you've been busy saving some serious history. Favorites for me have to be the tin cup and etched tombacs, can't wait to see what you turn up next.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding play by play, narrative, and pictures Brad. Looks like you've been busy saving some serious history. Favorites for me have to be the tin cup and etched tombacs, can't wait to see what you turn up next.

Thanks a ton man. I'm really glad people like that tin cup! I tossed it with the 25lbs of iron in my pack and figured if it made it home in one piece, then I'd mess with it. It turned out nice and is sitting on a strap hinge in a display. The handle and solder seams look nearly the same as the book picture I posted with it.

Thanks again Jon. Best of luck to you tomorrow man.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great finds there. The KGIs usually hold together pretty well. That one looks a little beat but glad you were able to ID it. Some old ground you're on. Keep at it. :thumbsup:

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Outdoor! The ground is finally thawing here in Northern Mass, so naturally we've got the MD Bug. Drooling over your finds--wow! Congrats, and hope you had a cozy winter. -Lisa & John

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some great finds there. The KGIs usually hold together pretty well. That one looks a little beat but glad you were able to ID it. Some old ground you're on. Keep at it. :thumbsup:

Thank you Evolution! That's my 3rd KGI and its the most worn of the 3. When I dug it, I thought it was going to be in good shape, but after cleaning I saw it was very worn before it went into the ground. You're right... being able to ID a copper is a success!

Hi Outdoor! The ground is finally thawing here in Northern Mass, so naturally we've got the MD Bug. Drooling over your finds--wow! Congrats, and hope you had a cozy winter. -Lisa & John

Thank you Lisa! I'm glad you guys are thawing out and I look forward to seeing what else you guys turn up at that amazing property of yours :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread