INSANE LATE 1960's POCKET SPILL! 1963 CENT 1965 QUARTER AND MORE!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Last month I made a list of all 1700's through mid 1800's homestead sites in my town (the magic of Google Earth overlays). Today I went to one of them with my old man. I quickly realized that we were not the first ones to detect there. I found a few holes and mason jar lid on the side of one of the holes. We decided to go down a steep hill, behind the cellar hole, after I found a Victorian blue enameled iron backed button. We noticed a narrow trail, leading to a lake. I also noticed a small filled in cellar hole, or stone foundation (for a barn or shed maybe) on the side of the trail. I decided to detect the woods on the side of the trail. My father starts screaming, "Oh my god!!!! I just found a silver!!!!! A Mercury Dime!!!" I couldn't believe it, I almost never see silver dug when I am out though I see a lot of it posted. I was very happy for him finally finding his first! I have only found 3 silvers (including a war nickel) so the experience was very exciting. Not bad for the first coin that has been dug on a hunt I was on this year. I also got a signal at the same time he got his dime signal. A nice quarter signal. I was hoping it would be a large cent, and disappointed when I saw a clad quarter on the side of the hole. I decided to check the hole again and got a 62 signal, I was very confused because nickels are a 58 on my metal detector (I assumed it would be a nickel due to the clad quarter before hand). I grabbed a clump of dirt from the hole and saw a beautiful gold edge. In the clump was a beautiful 10k gold ring. I check the hole again and got another signal which I assumed had to be another coin. Sure enough it was a 1963d Lincoln cent. I tried again and got a weird 60s signal, the signal ended up disappearing and turning into iron (typical of a nail or something else small made of iron). I also noticed that the ring had small amount of iron staining on the surface (which I rubbed off easily with one swipe of a finger). My father ended up finding the handle off of a possibly colonial pewter spoon. We both also found tons of shotgun shells, 1960's cans/pulltabs. Not a bad day!

DSC_0590.JPG DSC_0593.JPG DSC_0586.JPG DSC_0589.JPG

Upvote 16

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great hunt gold, silver and family to share it with..

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you had a great day with Dad! Nice finds too!

Thanks! It was a lot of fun! First time we both ended up finding something cool in one hunt!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats to you both...though that spoon handle may be the oldest item there.

Cheers

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post, great hunt! Great day when you find Silver and gold! Congrats and HH

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm going to try and bring him out again today for easter. Time to research a new place!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's what it all about-
Congrats

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome day with your Dad...priceless! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions