Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Farthings, Farthings...Everywhere! ;-). 1683 Property, Mass

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Aug 2016
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
    1,348
    1154 times
    Metal Detecting

    Farthings, Farthings...Everywhere! ;-). 1683 Property, Mass

    Good morning, friends.

    Yesterday afternoon, John dug up this beauty. Our coppers are usually quite toasty, as many of you know, but this one has pretty nice detail. 1749. Hope you will enjoy. Happy hunting! -Lisa & John

    PS-- we don't think this one is counterfeit?!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3392.PNG 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	1441905   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3393.PNG 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	1441906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3394.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	1441907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3395.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	1441908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3396.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	1441909  


  2. #2
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    western MA
    XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
    336
    533 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Beautiful coin, great detail! I bet your heart skipped a beat when you dug that beauty.
    btjbtj likes this.

  3. #3
    us
    Apr 2015
    West Orange, NJ
    XP Deus and AT Pro
    401
    405 times
    Metal Detecting
    That's a beauty! Congratulations!
    btjbtj likes this.
    JerseyDigger19 - West Orange, NJ
    2017 Totals: 82 1/8 silver coins
    Best 2017 Finds: 1890 SEATED DIME! 6 Barbers, 16 Indian heads, 14k gold cross, 10k and 18k gold rings
    Finally got a Seated.
    Always looking for people to dig with!

  4. #4
    us
    Apr 2017
    Denver, CO
    Garrett AT Pro
    125
    123 times
    Metal Detecting
    I wish my area here had that kind of history. Colorado was pretty late in the game in history years. The east coast sure is lucky.
    btjbtj likes this.

  5. #5
    us
    Aug 2016
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
    1,348
    1154 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustic View Post
    Beautiful coin, great detail! I bet your heart skipped a beat when you dug that beauty.
    Oh yeah, Rustic--John was quite excited! And so was I -- looking at his texted photos (we live about an hour apart). Thanks for looking. ~Lisa

  6. #6
    us
    Aug 2016
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
    1,348
    1154 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDigger19 View Post
    That's a beauty! Congratulations!
    Thanks, Jersey! Finally one that isn't completely toasted! ~L&J

  7. #7
    us
    Aug 2016
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
    1,348
    1154 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus Palus View Post
    I wish my area here had that kind of history. Colorado was pretty late in the game in history years. The east coast sure is lucky.
    Right, Primus...but I bet you find more gold! ;-) ~L&J

  8. #8
    Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II, Quattro & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    9,055
    5496 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Congratualtions on the beautiful old copper recovery!
    btjbtj likes this.

  9. #9
    Nice Farthing, yes Regal, in fact the majority of KGII coppers are Regal, the ones that are counterfeit are almost always cast counterfeits, not struck, it is the KGIII coppers that are by far struck counterfeits.
    btjbtj likes this.
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

  10. #10
    us
    Apr 2017
    Denver, CO
    Garrett AT Pro
    125
    123 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by btjbtj View Post
    Right, Primus...but I bet you find more gold! ;-) ~L&J
    Maybe a little here and there. But with the amount of development, everything here is plowed over now aside from the forests and creeks. I've been having a hell of a time finding suitable areas with old history that isn't either a protected landmark, or demolished 15x over and repaved.
    btjbtj and diggingthe1 like this.

  11. #11
    us
    Aug 2016
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
    1,348
    1154 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in SJ View Post
    Nice Farthing, yes Regal, in fact the majority of KGII coppers are Regal, the ones that are counterfeit are almost always cast counterfeits, not struck, it is the KGIII coppers that are by far struck counterfeits.
    Good to hear, Don. Thanks! ~L&J

  12. #12
    us
    Aug 2016
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
    1,348
    1154 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus Palus View Post
    Maybe a little here and there. But with the amount of development, everything here is plowed over now aside from the forests and creeks. I've been having a hell of a time finding suitable areas with old history that isn't either a protected landmark, or demolished 15x over and repaved.
    That blows, Primus. Although I suppose there's a bit of that problem everywhere. John just lucked out finding an old property that hadn't been dug up! Until now... haa! ~L&J

  13. #13
    us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, Garrett AT Gold, XP Deus, Fisher 1270
    5,422
    3184 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Lisa, That is a nice one! All of my KG II Britannia Farthings are 1749s. And there is a good reason why.... But yours is much nicer than any I have found.

    Here is an excerpt from Coin World:
    In 1750, the ship Mermaid delivered hundreds of thousands of farthings (and even more half*pence) dated 1749 to Boston for circulation in America. While high grade pieces are elusive, circulated 1749 farthings are easy to find, making them an ideal type coin to showcase the farthing denomination in an American collection.

    And here is the link to the story:
    The coin that inspired Jefferson's half cent | Coin World
    Last edited by Steve in PA; Apr 20, 2017 at 11:44 AM.
    btjbtj and Z.K. like this.
    Spanish Silver Totals
    Cut Pieces = 18
    Half Reals = 27
    1 Reals = 11
    2 Reales = 6
    8 Reales = 1
    2 Reale Cobs = 2
    Other Early Silver Coins
    1797 & 1803 Draped Bust Dimes
    1830 Capped Bust 5 cents
    1827 Capped Bust dime
    1661 Hammered silver King Leopold
    1697 William III 6-pence

    Space prevents me from adding other buttons, coins, and relics

  14. #14
    us
    Aug 2016
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
    1,348
    1154 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Lisa, That is a nice one! All of my KG II Britannia Farthings are 1749s. And there is a good reason why.... But yours is much nicer than any I have found.

    Here is an excerpt from Coin World:
    In 1750, the ship Mermaid delivered hundreds of thousands of farthings (and even more half*pence) dated 1749 to Boston for circulation in America. While high grade pieces are elusive, circulated 1749 farthings are easy to find, making them an ideal type coin to showcase the farthing denomination in an American collection.

    And here is the link to the story:
    The coin that inspired Jefferson's half cent | Coin World
    Steve, what a fascinating article. Thanks so much for sharing. I'll have John read it later. Good to know, too, because that kind of makes farthings with a different year even better. -L
    Steve in PA likes this.

  15. #15

    Jun 2013
    63
    67 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That is a beauty! Wow.
    btjbtj likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Ring? A New First For Us--Coin! 1683 Mass Property
    By btjbtj in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: Oct 12, 2016, 04:09 PM
  2. We're seeing double...again!! 1683 Mass Property
    By btjbtj in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: Oct 07, 2016, 07:18 PM
  3. BUCKLE BEAUTY...1683 Mass Property
    By btjbtj in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: Oct 05, 2016, 02:25 PM
  4. Another KG2! 1683 Mass Property
    By btjbtj in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Sep 29, 2016, 09:33 PM
  5. [SOLVED] 2 George I Farthings Beaten Together Anyone Seen This?
    By Dakota Sioux in forum What Is It?
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Dec 18, 2015, 11:11 AM

Tags for this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0