Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was trying out a new spot after a group dig yesterday afternoon. It had started to rain, so I decided to try this new spot. I had received some new information on the aftermath of the Battle of the Monocacy in 1864, and went on a wild goose chase, so to speak. Now Maryland saw a lot of activity in the Civil War and had the notorious Point Lookout Prison Camp (Union) in Southern Maryland. There were even riots in Baltimore by Southern sympathizers during the war. A lot of Marylanders sided with the South.

Anyway, I had found the two St. Timothy's Hall buttons not far away. Please see the prior thread. But properties have property lines so, with permission, I went to a new spot, not far at all from where the two Confederate used buttons were found. The owner had a small woodlot. I skipped the grass so started into the woods. Didn't find much, an old nail, Civil War Period horse shoe and two modern coins. Big whoop.

Went to a flat spot and found what looks like the innards of a shoe buckle, but I think early 19th century due to the good manufacturing. Now I have to figure out where I put it. So I walked down one little stretch of nothing growing yet and got a HUGE kind of aluminum can signal....and ignored it. Went about another hour and passed by again. I was a few feet away this time and dug a solid quarter type of signal. Out pops a block "I" Confederate button! This is my fourth Confederate button in the last 6 weeks. I am in a state of shock! Until this last month or so it's been over 20 years since I found a Confederate button, near Saylor's Creek in Virginia. Those buttons were also found in a relic "patch", surrounded by nothing else. Now, the place I was researching was supposed to have been visited (briefly) by Confederate Cavairy, but I guess I'm not going to complain. After that shock (guys this is MARYLAND!), I found a 1958 Roosevelt dime and a toasty Lincoln. It started drizzling again so I started back to the car.

Then I got another great aluminum can signal....this time I dug it. It was an adjuster buckle in brass to a horse harness. Was found about 10' (or less, excitement will do that to you) from the "I" button. I don't move too fast. It still has a lot of leather on it. Leather is just about dust, so right now it just got a soaking in 50% white glue and water, so tomorrow, when it dries, it will still be there. Methinks! Cool! So I fill the plug and move one more swing and BAM, another similar signal. By the time I was done this little piece of woods, not more than 5' square produced what you see. All buckles are intact. Now the old house that was there persisted into the 20th century, so it's possible the horsie items are later than the Civil War, but I suppose there is no way to tell, and with THREE Confederate buttons found within 100 yards (in the case of the St. Timothy's Hall buttons) and 10 FEET, if that, with the Block "I". I think they are all related. Also found a CW carbine bullet not far away.

I can't get a close pic of the adjuster buckles due to the deteriorating leather, but will check them tomorrow. The buckles are cast brass. The tongues are brass, not iron. The center posts of the buckles that the tongue attaches to have a small raised area on each side of where the tongue attaches to they will not slide off.

This has been one heck of a year! I have no idea how it could get better! Still haven't dug a US gold coin though. View attachment IMG_0214.jpg View attachment IMG_0215.jpg View attachment IMG_0216.jpg

Upvote 17

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread