Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still in shock. Never would I believe something like this would happen to me. Did a late evening hunt with a friend from Tnet which only lasted about 45 min. As you can see I only found a mini ball and flat button until I came upon this cache. We both were speechless, good thing she decided to video tonights dig. This is the second cache of coins found on this property mixed in with all the civil war relics. First spill was nothing like this, maybe 10 coins. So walking along the woods edge of a corn field I got this ear blowing signal, pinpointed about 3 ft long but narrow I almost skipped it. At a park with the signal that large I surely would have ignored it. Ended up with a cut finger and 64 silver coins. 1 Morgan dollar, 8 Reale, 12 Halfs, 11 Quarters and 39 dimes. I havnt checked for any key dates and most look to be in good shape. I'm amazed over this 8 Reale, looks to be 1830 Zs. Checked off the bucket list:headbang: Like I said Ive heard stories of people finding caches but never dreamed my coil would get over one. Thanks for looking GL&HH

WP_20170428_20_56_55_Pro.jpg WP_20170428_21_55_37_Pro.jpg WP_20170428_21_56_23_Pro.jpg WP_20170428_21_56_49_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 147

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

US Samuel Higley 3 Pence Token 'Value Me As You Please' (Fakes are possible) 1737 to 1739

The PCGS Coin Guide has a blurb on these tokens, describing them as 'among the most interesting of all early American issues'.

They were struck in copper by Dr. Samuel Higley of Granby, Connecticut. Higley had a medical degree from Yale College, but also 'practiced blacksmithing and made many experiments in metallurgy. In 1727 he devised a practical method of producing steel.'

He produced these tokens to accommodate a local lack of small change denominations, but oddly enough, in addition to the denomination of 'III' meaning three pence, it bears the whimsical inscription of 'value me as you please'. What a great idea!

There is an interesting thread (click here) containing a ton of pictures and information on these tokens over on the Collector's Universe. We definitely suggest checking it out! An excerpt from the thread: 'Legend tells us that drinks in the local tavern sold at the time for three pence each, and Higley was in the habit of paying his bar bill with his own coinage. '

These tokens are very rare today, and counterfeits exist as well as modern replicas. The latter will look like it was made yesterday with shiny surfaces and no wear, while a counterfeit will be made to look as though it is old, with artificial wear and toning added to the surfaces. Our secondary picture to the right shows a typical modern replica.

The fact that Olen's token is corroded, mutilated, repulsive looking, yet in a plastic holder is actually good news. Counterfeiters will often make their coins look *worn but attractive*. Genuine tokens will often have been through a lot, and suffered some damage. With most coins, this renders them noncollectable, but these tokens are so rare that they retain value even with serious issues.

Depending on the condition, these can be worth quite a bit, as outlined in the approximate catalog values given below:

worn: $10,000 US dollars
average circulated: $80,000
well preserved: $200,000

If you believe that you have a genuine specimen of these tokens, we highly recommend that you take all steps necessary to protect the coin from further wear, and let a professional at a coin shop look at the coin! Consider having it authenticated, graded, and encapsulated by PCGS, NGC, ICG, or ANACS

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone. The fields are still planted BUT the permission is a "go" for this year. Best overall individual find on the place was a US Cartridge box plate. I'm betting there is more stuff on the site. This farmer plants and harvests late. He didn't dis until (If I remember right) Christmas week last year. It's coming.....we'll find out soon what's still out there. Woods won't be available until January. Lots of snakes. And other monsters.

OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone. The fields are still planted BUT the permission is a "go" for this year. Best overall individual find on the place was a US Cartridge box plate. I'm betting there is more stuff on the site. This farmer plants and harvests late. He didn't dis until (If I remember right) Christmas week last year. It's coming.....we'll find out soon what's still out there. Woods won't be available until January. Lots of snakes. And other monsters.

IM READY !! I'm soo glad were about to be in season. Meanwhile the colonial site is just about ready. Farmer is busy clearing the fields.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I wanna go!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread