Found My Second GWI Button - Needed a Makeover

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found this GWI button during a brief 10 minute search of a cellar hole with my son. We had to unexpectedly cut short our very first visit to the site. Close by the stone foundation in quick order I recovered a small button, a rough piece of pewter, and a large flat button before we had to leave. I thought the large button might have a design, but identification would need to wait until later. When I got home, I was glad to see the faint outline of the initials — GW; it was a George Washington Inaugural button! :hello2: I had recovered the same GWI button variety back in 2014. In comparison to my first GWI, this latest button was in very poor condition. :sad7: I was amazed with such a recovery after such a short search, but the button’s condition was thoroughly awful. As you can see in the provided photo, the button’s detail and overall appearance was dreadful owing to a thick layer of bonded dirt and oxidation.

TER.jpg

I soaked the button in mineral oil for several days and was able to remove the bonded dirt with a tooth pick and magnify glasses with relative ease. Removed dirt and oxidation in the mineral oil solution can be seen in the next provided photo.

pics downloaded 4-30-17 007.JPG

After an overall cleaning with the toothpicks, I gave it a light buffing with some fine steel wool to give it a bit more eye appeal by brightening up some of the highpoints. Here’s the end result:

pics downloaded 4-30-17 036.JPG

Overall, I’m satisfied with the end result as the button's motto and initials are certainly more legible. While the button has clearly lost some detail, I believe this damage was done a long time ago as the button slowly oxidized. I haven’t posted much on TNet in a while — I’ve been working for 6+ months on an article to be published in a research journal on a past metal detecting find. I’m now finished with the article, and was happy to recover a second GWI button so soon after getting back to detecting more often. Yes — I returned to the cellar hole that offered up the GWI button to see what else could be found after such a promising start. I found one button after a two hour search, and no, it wasn’t another GWI. The site offered up little else — no coins, buckles, or musket balls. The recovery of just three buttons, one of which being a GWI, was amazing to me. In detecting, you never know what you might find might (or not find). I was reminded of this fact soon after on another hunt. More to follow!

Upvote 22

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like your informative post and nice find!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome find, lot of history there

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and thanks for the write up. Helps us relatively new guys learn some techniques. What all is in your mineral oil solution?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get away with that as the detail is recessed into the button. Had it been raised probably not a good result. I did that many years ago with a Rev War officer button. Looked like it had been in a fire as the surface was hard and black and my usual methods like lemon juice wouldn't do a thing. So I started buffing off the black and eventually got it all off. Wasn't the best looking button, but all the detail was visible, and was a good improvement.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and thanks for the write up. Helps us relatively new guys learn some techniques. What all is in your mineral oil solution?

I use simple baby oil, which is just scented mineral oil. I believe mineral oil works best for loosening up bonded dirt and oxidation from copper coins, brass shoe and knee buckles, etc. Just let a coin soak in mineral oil for several days (or several weeks if you're patient enough) and use a tooth pick to carefully swipe away the dirt.

Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard of the mineral oil soak but has anyone had success with hydrogen peroxide to remove caked on dirt from copper? Other metals? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice to hear you got out. That's a killer GW you found and it cleaned up well considering the condition when you found it. Congrats!

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard of the mineral oil soak but has anyone had success with hydrogen peroxide to remove caked on dirt from copper? Other metals? Thanks in advance for any insight.

I've heard of using hydrogen peroxide, but I have not tried it myself. I've always found the mineral oil is the safest way to go, but everyone has their preferences for cleaning coins and other finds. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get away with that as the detail is recessed into the button. Had it been raised probably not a good result. I did that many years ago with a Rev War officer button. Looked like it had been in a fire as the surface was hard and black and my usual methods like lemon juice wouldn't do a thing. So I started buffing off the black and eventually got it all off. Wasn't the best looking button, but all the detail was visible, and was a good improvement.

IP - I believe that the oval shape for GW and the banner for the motto is actually recessed, so the details are actually the highpoints. I do get your valid point. I believe an engraved eagle and star button would not hold up as well to such a rigorous treatment. I do wonder if I should buff it some more with fine steel wool to highlight the initials and motto. Perhaps I should leave well enough alone?

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice button!! Fantastic bucket list find!! WTG Congrats and HH

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the GWI button Jim and nice job on cleaning it. Sounds like you've been working hard on your article, when is it supposed to be published and how can I get a hold of a copy? I'm looking forward to reading it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your button Jim. And you were able to bring it back to life with an excellent cleaning and preservation effort. Love to read your article when it comes out. HH.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the GWI button Jim and nice job on cleaning it. Sounds like you've been working hard on your article, when is it supposed to be published and how can I get a hold of a copy? I'm looking forward to reading it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. The article will be out in August. I will send you a copy for certain. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your button Jim. And you were able to bring it back to life with an excellent cleaning and preservation effort. Love to read your article when it comes out. HH.

Good to hear from you Bill. I'll get a copy of the article to you when it's published. I think you'll enjoy all the details resulting from extensive research; likewise, I look forward to buying a copy of your book. I have another find recovered only a few days after the GWI button. I'm hoping to post it up late this evening. Stay tuned. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread