FIRST GOLD $10

jss1216

Apr 17, 2014
Shelton,Ct
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
First gold coin - I did not comprehend i found- it was like my heart stopped.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494770956.853688.jpg

Break in the rain so i decided it was time to do some detecting. I knew i discovered old farm land from 1700's and really wanted to see what i could find.

So i found 4 horseshoes

and 6 oxen shoes

and a large assortment of stuff including a 1882 Gold $10 coin

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494770910.635242.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494770910.635242.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
Upvote 60

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any Gold Coin recovered by a coin hunter is the Ultimate Accomplishment. It is often equated to finding the "Holy Grail"
Congratulations on an incredible find.

OP
OP
J

jss1216

Apr 17, 2014
Shelton,Ct
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Not new at all--- just more of an amateur and starting to take the hobby more serious
Actually i started detecting in 2014. In mid 2015 i put the detector away and went to work on my Masters which i completed in Dec 2016.
Now i am back.
I searched a few schools and ballpark in 2014 and early 2015 with great success.
I consider finding lots of clad success
to date i have found 680 quarters, 721 dimes, 469 nickels, 1391 pennies- of which 854 are zinc and most corroded and 537 are copper -- not including wheats- i have found 85 wheats
2 SAC dollars, 1 clad Kennedy and 1 40% , 8 Merc dimes , 5 90% Rose dimes, 2 90% wash quarters, 7 40% silver nickels, 6 buffaloe nickels, 1 IH penny, and 1 silver canadian dime...

jewelry is a different story-- i found a few gold rings and i believe 2 plat rings--

This year i started to go back and noticed the city put up a new chain link around the area and laid new sod--- seems they are restricting access---

I went back to a local park and found almost nothing except a lot of junk.
i started searching the local area and low and behold i discovered something--- i passed a land mark in my area that i passes a hundred times and never took notice until i stopped for a school bus.... i noticed a grouping of rocks and wondered so i looked up the property and made some calls --- grabbed my AT Pro and now I have a new area to detect.
In two to three weeks i have found an un searched area...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... i have found 85 wheats ....1 IH penny, and ...

Looking at your tallies for life, we're seeing things like "85 wheaties", a single IH, 8 merc. dimes, etc..... You DO realize that you have NOT 'paid your dues'. Most md'rs will find 10k wheaties, and thousands of IH's and mercs, before EVER finding a hallowed gold coin. Thus, you ought to be ashamed of yourself. It's simply not fair. I know you are grief-stricken. So send it to me. I will absolve your conscience of all guilt (since I'm way over-due for a gold coin).

.... i noticed a grouping of rocks ..

Egads ! what was this "grouping of rocks" for ? What was there before ? Stage stop ? old homestead ? camp spot ? Coin store ? etc....

OP
OP
J

jss1216

Apr 17, 2014
Shelton,Ct
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
I believe the rocks are just a pile... as in a farmer needed a place to put them... some locals believe that they are ancient indian grounds...
I believe i am right by the amount and placement of the rocks ... no matter i have access and having a great time .. as for paying dues--- well i am disappointed that i have not found more IH Pennies-- but a gold piece almost makes up for it- I am going to frame it with the Buffalo nickel and 1500 year old arrow head i found

Last edited:

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great find.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you take a picture of the other side of the coin? I always dream of finding a Tarryall dollar here in Colorado. A nice one would be worth more than a $100K!

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda buried the lede there in the other thread. Could we see the reverse?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanna hear something crazy? I have found way more colonial and pre 1855 coppers than Indian Head Cents. It's due to the type of places I detect. Never even got many clad coins till last summer when I started going to the beaches in the summer.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been going to the really way out places and have been striking out. I have been finding relics, but no coins. I am really hoping to find a nice mining sample. But so far nothing. That's why I haven't posted any finds lately. Nice going on the gold coin. Thanks for letting us see the other side.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi jss; First, Greetiings from Boston. Welcome to TNet. NOW: You have just become a Member of the Gold Coin Club. It is an Elite Group for sure. CONGRATS.!!! Thing is now that you have attained that coveted Title you will be expected to do a bit more work in the way you present your finds ok. I know you are new so I'll be gentle here ok.
Here it comes: When Posting a Find you must give a DETAILED account of how you found it, where it was found, any and ALL before hand Activities that took place BEFORE you went digging there, what time was it ??, what was the weather??, Anyone with you ??, What was the Signal like ?? Loud, Soft, Scratchy etc., What Detector was it ??
THEN AFTER ALL THAT: You must describe the targets removal scene. Did you do it fast, slow, regular ??, What happened when you first saw the glint of Gold ?? Yell, Scream, Freeze, Pass Out, etc. ??, What was the soil like ?? Hard, Soft, Sandy, Moist etc.,
What are you going to do with it ?? Clean it Professionally ?? Frame it ?? I would.!!! Have it Appraised ok. NOW: You can tell Us about the coins Condition Grade etc..,PLUS it's possible Valiue. PLEASE be accurate as possible on this one ok. Thanks.
NOW ABOUT PICTURES: Take as many as you can from every angle possible then Post them "ALL" That is one of my pet peeves. Billy hits a good find and takes one crappy picture. THAT really bugs Us here ok.
So there you have it. You have now been indoctrinated in how to tell a Story about ALL of your finds ok. CONGRATULATONS. Welcome to the Club. Now when you do what I said above for EVERY find you will be well loved and respected here even by the hardest of Pro's here, myself included ok. Fame has it's Price.!!!
Good Luck and Good Hunting. Your on a Roll.!!! Keep it up.!!! Best Wishes. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat::leprechaun-hat::leprechaun-hat:

The story of the Hat; One Hat means Welcome, Two Hats means Salute. Three Hats means Deepest Respect ok. It's an Irish thing. Yup, I was born there ok. PEACE:RONB

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$100 cash, how bout dah?

Peyton Manning