A 35 Merc, 3 Wheatie's and Johnny Law!!!

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So my son decides he wants to go out swinging today so I am all excited and we round up all the goodies, load up the car and head out.
We go down to the field I have been swinging at and gear up. It looked like there was gonna be a ball game a lil later in the day at the ball field (not the field we were swinging at, right next to it) and I was pondering leaving and coming back later to avoid all the people but we decided to go out swinging.

My son grabs the White's and I get him all setup. I grab my Deus and we get out on the field. I went over some settings with my son and off he went swinging. I started a few paces off to the left as that way we could help each other out. Got a few targets here and there and started with a few regular pennies and dimes and then we started hitting the goodies!

5-20.JPG

Had 3 regular pennies and 3 Wheatie's... A 34,39 & 45!

5-20 wheat.JPG

We scored a couple of dimes as well. 2 were clad but the last hole I dug was hiding a 35 Merc! Pretty good shape!

5-20 merc.JPG

I get up from filling in the hole and see a Police man walking over to us. I wave Hi and he waves me over.
He was a pretty cool guy. Asked if we found anything and I said a couple of pennies and dimes... haven't found the Arc yet! He laughed and said the Holy Grail would be the killer find! He then mentioned he received a call about people digging so he had to respond. He said he was watching us and we looked like we knew what we were doing and were filling the holes real good. He said he didn't have a problem with what we were doing but has to respond to calls... I said A Looksie Lou called to complain cause she had nothing better to do? He nodded. I said ok, we can pack it up. Guess it would be better to come at a later time? Less busy time? He nodded, smiled and said thank you.

My son was a lil bummed and I explained the situation. We don't have any bylaws saying you can't detect and the Police were cool about it so better to leave and come back at a less busy time. He wanted to find out who called to complain and I told him we would never get that info. Some miserable person who wants to stop people who are having fun probably. So we came home to clean up the finds, post up this post, eat some dinner and head back out at 7.

Having read enough threads on here about issues like these, I figured it would be best to make Johnny Law happy, keep him on our side and hope the Looksie Lou's find other people to bother.

Will wait to see if Tom responds... hope I did good?

Last edited:
Upvote 18

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some great finds! :thumbsup: The silver and wheaties are cool! Congrats!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Have you read about me? LOL, you did what you felt was right and that is the important thing Nice saves. Hope you can get back there and find some more silver.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds! :occasion14:

Time out with your son...priceless! :icon_thumright:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Super hearing about you MD'ng with your son. It is a shame that a few have to ruin it for all - impressed with the way you handled it - well done.

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Pro Pointer II and I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Handled like a pro. And a nice guy. Nice dimes!

OP
OP
Stretch Da Truth

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet hunt,,
Congratulations to you and your son.

Thanks! We had some fun and found some cool coins. That's a cool day out.

Those are some great finds! :thumbsup: The silver and wheaties are cool! Congrats!

Thanks! This field has given us some nice Silver and the trip Wheaties was a nice extra today.

Have you read about me? LOL, you did what you felt was right and that is the important thing Nice saves. Hope you can get back there and find some more silver.

I have read some of your post Scuba and a ton of others on similar situations. Most are slightly different and we all will handle them according to the situation and what we feel is best for the situation. We all represent Metal Detecting and should try our best to not tarnish it's rep. I'll come back after the games are gone and swing when nobody is around... I have been there many nights and will keep going back till I have done the whole place!

Congratualtions on the nice finds! :occasion14:

Time out with your son...priceless! :icon_thumright:

Thanks Doc! We have some cool finds from there. Another Merc is always cool and then add in multiple Wheaties! Now that fun. My son liked the goodies when we cleaned them up. Another great day with my son!

metal_detector.gif
Super hearing about you MD'ng with your son. It is a shame that a few have to ruin it for all - impressed with the way you handled it - well done.

Thanks VP! Love MD'ing with him! We have a blast! It stinks when Looksies try to ruin it for us having some fun... but they will try & try!
I thought it worked out pretty good, he was cool with us and what we were doing so if I can help to make the whinny people happy... I'll try.

Handled like a pro. And a nice guy. Nice dimes!

Thanks! Keeping the peace and keeping MD'ing alive!
I love finding dimes! We have pulled Merc's and Silver Rosies from there... will keep going back for sure! :occasion14:

Last edited:

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to you both on your finds and thanks for being good representatives of the hobby

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bonding time with the son, and proper representation of the sport before the public and authorities. Well done. Yes, some folks are miserable and wish to cause grief upon others just to bring folks down into the pit with themselves. It's a shame but, reality.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt, and congrats on setting a good example for the rest of us! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Stretch Da Truth

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to you both on your finds and thanks for being good representatives of the hobby

Thanks Art! We will always welcome another Merc to the collection. Wheaties are welcome too.
I have learned a LOT on this site from proper plugs to keeping the peace... doing our part to keep MD'ing alive!

Bonding time with the son, and proper representation of the sport before the public and authorities. Well done. Yes, some folks are miserable and wish to cause grief upon others just to bring folks down into the pit with themselves. It's a shame but, reality.

Thank you! Love time with my boy and swinging together is a ton of fun. I try to be a good example for the rest of us. Explained the situation and possible outcomes via different routes and my son was happy and proud of what we did in the situation. Good life lesson for him at an early age.
Sad but their will always be miserable people that try to bring the rest of us down.. I am a fighter and it will take a lot to get me there!

Great hunt, and congrats on setting a good example for the rest of us! :occasion14:

Thanks! The hunt was a bit short but the good side was of the 10 targets we dug, 9 were keepers! I try to represent in a good way and wanted to share and hope it might help someone else out if they are in a similar situation.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post sorry you were the victom of someone who feels they should dictate what should or should not be allowed in places all of our tax dollars pay for. My kids are to busy on thier phones to detect I guess times are changing My kids always say. when I was their age there were no cell phones I reply thank god cause we were outside having fun lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

OP
OP
Stretch Da Truth

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post sorry you were the victom of someone who feels they should dictate what should or should not be allowed in places all of our tax dollars pay for. My kids are to busy on thier phones to detect I guess times are changing My kids always say. when I was their age there were no cell phones I reply thank god cause we were outside having fun lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

No worries. We will be back again and again. It's MY park too! No looksie Lou is gonna bring me down.
Sad about the new generation... my kid likes his phone and tablet but I do make sure he gets outside for activities. Can't be sitting around all day!
Glad he does come detecting. We actually do a ton of stuff together. His friends all like to come over as I am a Fun Dad I have heard. :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread