Charles II 1660's silver button. Few more relics. Great hunt in a great company.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to show the best finds from this week ends hunt. Had a nice visit from Ken Z.K. from Vermont. We managed to hit a few sites near Montreal with very good results.

Firstly, my favorite and the most unusual find. By far the oldest button or cuff link find since I started detecting and the very first silver one. When I found it on the hunt with Ken I was 100% sure it was a pretty beat and unusual pewter button. Only after getting home and getting it out of the box noticed that the crust dried and flaked away revealing a beautiful silver button with crown and two hurts. With the help from some friends on Treasurenet managed to ID it to the wedding of Charles II of England to Catherine of Braganza in 1662 An awesome and unexpected find! Really excited about it.

Here are some links to the British archaeological records site.
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/715312

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/616228

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/530118

Note: Although multiple British archaeological records mention the possible association to the Charles II wedding there's some debate over the this connection.

Button or cuff link as found and after a light cleaning. Didn't clean the back part of it.

20170520_105501 (1).jpg 20170520_105511.jpg
Charles II.JPG 2.JPG

An other button found a day before on an other permission was a beautiful Victorian (I would guess late 1830's) 65th Regiment of foot. Still has it's gold gilding. Stunning design that I haven't seen before.

65th.JPG

Than a very nice Royal Sappers and miners 1812 button. Great condition.

Sappers2.JPG

And a large artillery button I guess from 1830's

DSC_1347.JPG

Than an other find on the hunt with Ken. What looks to be a shoe buckle. Never found one of that design and shape.

Buckle.JPG DSC_1358.JPG

DSC_1368.JPG DSC_1363.JPG

Lots of more finds that I don't have the time to post at this moment (really tired after 24 hours of hunts in 2 days)

Thanks for the comments.

Reference : Darch, E (2015) "NMS-79E4FB: A POST MEDIEVAL CUFF LINK" Web page available at: https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/715312 [Accessed: May 22, 2017 04:57:27 AM]

Last edited:
Upvote 31

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Colchester Site has a massive health warning, many errors, so not the perfect place to take an ID.

One thing to consider that I didn't mention because I thought it obvious, but why use at least 10 different style of Crown's if your pinning it to 1 King & 1 event? None of which look anything like Charles II Crown.

Hi Cru , Considering King Charles 2 was triple dealing in both politics and religion how can there be any correct opinion? The silver button in question may not be English . Again considering that of catholic english history theres little to go on. TP

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
17th century silver of any kind is an incredible find on our side of the pond, but the history behind your cuff makes it more remarkable. Outstanding recoveries

Thank you!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds!! Congrats and HH

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent button. I've been quietly watching to see where the debate went but I like your conclusion that it was used to celebrate marital unions (perhaps party favors?). Perhaps another indicator of it not being a CII wedding button is the price realized online. Maybe there was just enough of a shadow of doubt...

But the button itself is cooler than pretty much any button I have found. Beautiful!! Great 65th as well

Yes, a great colonial silver button whatever the history behind it. Thank you.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Colchester Site has a massive health warning, many errors, so not the perfect place to take an ID.

Never to be corrected it seems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread