Searched an old baseball field this morning.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather is FINALLY warm enough and the snow is finally melted enough that I ran out this morning with the new ACE250 for an hour and 1/2. I hit an old baseball field a few miles from my house, concentrating on the kiddie playground and the area right around it. All clad, but it felt great to get out again!!! This is a fairly large field, with 3 separate baseball diamonds, tennis and basketball court, and the kiddie playground. I did a slow search around the playground, finding only 3 or 4 pennies, then fanned out to the grass immedialty around the playground sand and found many more coins. This field goes back to the 20's, and I know there are tons of coins in there. I bet the playground has been hit alot, but not the baseball grass, because thats where I found most of these. I plan on spending alot more time there this summer. Also, the ACE250 did a GREAT job of filtering out junk in coin mode. It gave me nice clear belltones on coins, and flukey, inconsistant tones on a few pulltabs. The target ID and pinpoint make it sooooo easy to decide if I want to dig or not. On coins, the target ID and depth indicator were right on. On junk, the target ID would jump around, telling me the target was iron, gold, penny and dime. I quickly learned not to dig those, of course I may have missed a big gold ring. But, all in all, I'm very happy with the ACE250!! Pic of my clad coins below! Good luck, HH!

Attachments

• NCCcoins3-19-05.JPG
    NCCcoins3-19-05.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 413
Upvote 0

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
That's a good day! Congrats on the finds.

BTW... I noticed with the Ace250 that if you go s-l-o-w-l-y over a ring that is parallel to the coil, you will certainly get a double beep, as the coil passes over each edge of the ring. I ddi this in my air tests and it did it every time. My only suggestion would be that if you get a hit that "could" be a gold ring, pass the coil over the area s-l-o-w-l-y and listen for the double beep. Best way to learn this sound and see what I am talking about would be just to put the Ace250 in all-metal mode and put a gold ring on the ground, wave the coil slowly over it, and you'll hear what I'm talking about. Very nice!!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't beat the 250 for the price, and or quality! To me, they seem like to old GTA 1000s (early 1990s machines from Garrett which became GTAx 1000's and which are now no longer made) with just a few features less (but) the chip in the newer Garrett's is better which makes it as accurate as it is in ID'ing its target/s and in pinpointing/depth!

I found tons of coins/etc. with my old GTA 1000, and it was extremely light, easy to use & accurate (just like the 250s are)!

For a starter machine, it's hard to beat for the price because, most other makers don't offer entry level machines with features like that, and or that can go as deep (not to mention the quality of construction)!

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
Glad tou got out and good finds too! We have done well in the outfield sections of ballfields also so give it a shot.

bigrig

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! Beetle, I know what you mean about the double beep. Thats what I call the "bell tone". I have found that as I swing the coil, a target will generally give a single beep. I will then slow down and pass over the target area again, and on slower sweeps, coins will give you that beep-beep double belltone. Such a sweet sound!! The two nickels I found gave off single, solid low tones though, and again, with the nickels, the target ID was right on. I am starting to like this machine!!! It is very lightweight, easy to swing, and VERY sensitive, I keep the sensitivity at about 4 bars and do just fine! Hopefully, I'll be out again early tommorow morning! Good luck all!

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back and hit the same park again this morning for an hour and searched on the grass between the kiddie playground and the tennis court. Not as many coins today, but I had less time, and I got a 1941 wheatie! It's the first penny on the bottom left in the pic, and it's in better shape than the picture shows. If there are 1941 wheaties in there, theres got to be silver!! I'll be posting more this week, as I plan to hit it a couple times this week after work for an hour a day, unless it snows again!

Attachments

• NCCcoins3-20-05.JPG
    NCCcoins3-20-05.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 308
R

rvbvetter

Wheats are nice. I can here that bell tone now, over a walk. liberty half dollar! WTG! HH

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I leive near a fairly large sports complex with several baseball and softball fields. The area behind the backstop if it is grass will hold more quarters and nickels for some reason. I have one field where I find at least two quarters every time.

rasrandy

Mar 3, 2005
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I would check the grassy ball field first.I have a post from the other day on my ball field finds. RE:First time out this year. ? ? ? ? - ?A park from the 20s should produce something for ya. Good luck to ya.

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
:) Glad the weather is working for you ,Now that your warmed up look forward to your post of 05.HH

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Please remember if you are hunting Little League fields to fill in your holes!! I am the President of a little league and occasionally see someone digging on the diamonds, unfortunatly they did not fill in their holes very well and we had to do repair in the outfield---nothing worse than a 10 year old getting hurt because he or she stepped in a hold that should not have been there.

Dave

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where there are wheaties there is usually silver, keep searching!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions