Went Looking For $100 Bills - Found Diamond Ring Instead!!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I got off work early today becasue of Memorial Day and so decided to go back to the place where I found that $100 bill a few days ago ( http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/542309-100-bill-washed-ashore.html ) to see if I could find more. Well I found alot of clad coins and then I spotted a shiny thing in the water among the pebbles - turned out to be a 2 gram 9K Gold ring with two Diamonds and a Peridot stone!! At first I thought the ring was fake becasue it was encrusted in black concretion, but I was able to chip off the concretion and reveal the gold underneath and the karat stamp inside that reads "K9", I also tested the three stones, the outer ones are diamonds and the center stone is a Peridot. I wasn't even thinking about finding a ring today, I was looking for more $100 bills... but I'll take a diamond ring any day!

In Situ:
In Situ.jpg

All of today's finds from my 2-hour after-work hunt:
Finds of May 28th 2017.jpg Ring Pile.jpg

Fresh from the mud and pebbles:
Dirty Ring.jpg Ring Dirty 2.jpg

Freshly Cleaned:
Ring Water.jpg Ring Pebbles.jpg

Scale weight of 2 grams and the "K9" purity stamp:
on scale.jpg Ring K9 stamp.jpg

Video of the find as it unfolded:

Upvote 15

MackinawGirl

Jun 10, 2011
Northern Michigan/Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace400, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger, Garrett Waist treasure bag
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found the 100.00 bill yesterday so that you would go back and find that ring today =) Everything for a reason....congrats on the find. I love the sound of the waves in the background

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your gold ring find. It sure cleaned up nice. At 9K I would assume it to be old.

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I have said,you always find the coolest things in mud! Enjoyed the video

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good eye! Well done on getting the ring.

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your gold ring find. It sure cleaned up nice. At 9K I would assume it to be old.

Yea 9K gold was commonly used in the beginning of the 20th century, I'm thinking 1920's-40's. My grandma says it is called a 'Cocktail ring' and they were very popular during prohibition era. This is what I've got from online research:
'During the Prohibition in the US women often wore these rings at illegal cocktail parties, where they flaunted the fact that the wearer was drinking illegally, and was doing it with style. Nowadays cocktail rings can be worn to many different types of occasions or even as part of a casual outfit. There's no one set style for a cocktail ring, but many have a large, centered jewel. Though cocktail rings first came into fashion in the 1930s, they grew in popularity throughout the 1940s and 1950s, as cocktail parties continued to be popular events. Although cocktail parties are less common now, many people still wear a cocktail ring with diamonds or other precious or semi-precious gems.'

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Gold score.
I was under the impression that "9K" was a European standard for gold.
A U.S. made gold ring would have to contain at least 10k of gold to be considered Pure Gold.
Can't remember where I read that but,,, that's what happens when you get into your 60's. lol

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet $ 100 and Gold ring find! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread