diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such a busy weekend, the tourists are back and the antique store was booming this weekend. The boys ran the garage sale. I've been hunting this construction site. They keep moving the dirt around, and spreading it out for me. I keep giving my wife the excuse " they are about to pave it over" I made it out for an hour. I think the big mines had their local hangouts. Victor Colorado was huge at one time 12000 people, now about 400. The Portland was owned by Winfield Stratton. It employed 700 miners. Ill be exited to find out where the bar was. It says 10 cents on the back! Looks like it is unlisted, but I don't have the books. Ill put it on token catalog when I have a chance! Happy Hunting. 0528171853_HDR.jpg
0529170310_HDR-1.jpg

Upvote 18

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a nice token. My friend was a miner in Nederland for about 20 years.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on another unlisted token !!!! What ? You trying to break my record 8-) The Portland mine was staked in 1892 ,by Jimmy Burns & Jimmy Doyle. They searched through claim maps and discovered 1/10 of an acre that was overlooked in the maze of overlapping claims on Battle mountain, quickly they hit ore and stockpiled it and snuck it down the mountain at night. They were worried about the mining laws concerning the apex of a vein, they offered Winfield Scott Stratton ( owner of the famous Independence mine and others )1/3 interest in the Portland for help with the lawsuits that were sure to happen over the apex rights, he accepted . The rest is a long history ,if memory serves me right she was in operation for 85 to 90 years , produced 3 million oz's of gold worth appx $60,000,000.00 . If/when you find a address or owners name Please let me know .congrats again :headbang:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a way cool token. Careful with your cleaning it. She's a beauty. Will look great on Token Catalog. The history around that area sounds fascinating as well.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer Colorado Token!
The next time you need to ask the wife, tell her you need to visit a sick friend.
I can, "cough, cough" be down in a couple hours.
Kudos!
Carl

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the posts, I love that story of how they manipulated the system and turned into millionaires. They probably had a drink at the bar. Thanks for the information Charlie, Its a thrill to dig up some unknown little timepiece of history. Hers a few pictures of the mine. Ill find out when the Library opens where the bar was. Drop in any time Carl!
A view of the Portland above town.
0529171833_HDR.jpg
4 headframes above town the Portland is in the middle.
0529171238_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Know that alley myself , made a couple of finds there in 1990 . Looks like they've done quite a bit of filling on the east side

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out the Portland Bar was in Cripple Creek. Owned by Peter Bannick. Started in 1900 and was only there a year or 2. It was located at 2nd and Warren. I love the alleys!

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really recommend you get the token book , this one is not listed. You should keep a record of all your unlisted tokens .Congrats again ! Can't wait to see the next one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread