Surface find! 2001 Nissan Frontier 17" aluminum wheel. Scrap or treasure?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone must have lost this puppy out the back of their truck bed! Found a 17" Nissan wheel in the woods today! Had to roll it about 500 feet back to my car, since it weighs 57 pounds!

Based on my research, it fits the 2001 to 2004 Frontier. The face of the rim is in nice shape, but the back has a lot of scoring. Not sure what did that damage to the rim.

The big question is a simple one. Is this rim any good or just 22 pounds of scrap aluminum? Give me your thoughts on it. These rims sell for around $100 to $150 used on eBay (with shipping), so I can make more money by selling it online than scrapping it.

Here's some pics:

DSC07057.JPG DSC07058.JPG DSC07055.JPG DSC07056.JPG

Upvote 2

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tim, I've seen that before, appears the rear leaf spring broke a leaf or two and shifted over to the point that it scraped the wheel...I could be wrong but hey...just sayin lol...I say cut that tire off and scrap that unit! Ddf

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have the tire removed, auction and sell it on that auction site. I have sold some wheels before.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I'll break out the Sawzall tomorrow and scrap the rim! I think I should get at least $11.00 for it. Not a bad surface find!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have the tire removed, auction and sell it on that auction site. I have sold some wheels before

I was all ready to scrap it! Now you've got me thinking it's a bad idea. I think I'll add some air to the tire and see if the rim is okay. The scored area won't show, but I don't know if anyone would want it in that condition.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craigslist, with tire.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craigslist, with tire.

Yep. I wouldn't care to invest too much time or effort into selling this thing. Craigslist it with the tire and see if ya' can get a bite. I've lost a tire out of my truck before. Gotta' stay out of the ditch.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you sell it on ebay or anywhere online, your shipping costs will take up most of your profit. I'd just scrap it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread