All that glitters is not gold....

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
My goal today was to get out to my site and test my new Gorilla Glue modified $2.97 Wal-Mart trowel. You may have read the lengthy thread on it the other day over on the 'General Discussion' forum. If not, suffice it to say that it created quite a bit of discussion & derision.... People (except me) were convinced that it would crash and burn with only a few digs. So this morning I put it to the test by digging EVERY signal even if I knew it was junk. I twisted & torqued it and really put the thing through its paces --- it held up like a champ!
As you can see from the photo it didn't snap or bend as so many predicted and it is battle ready for my next outing....
That said, you can also see just how much junk I dug --- some of it very DEEPLY~! My hunt was only 2 hours long and late in it I got that repeating LOW TONE we all know so well. At less than 2 inches down out popped the ring shown. To give some perspective I put it on my only other "keeper" today which was a 1994 quarter and also put it on my thumb where there was still room to spare. I really thought I had gold, but I couldn't see any karat markings so I took it to the mall for testing. They scratched it on a whet stone looking thing applied a chemical and it made a white mark instead of yellow one --- PLATED gold....
Before I found this out I got home cleaned up and had to swap out my boxer shorts! Not "golden", but I'll still take it since rings for me have been few and far between. It was a great day today!
HH
-spyguy

Attachments

• GetFileAttachment_002.jpe
    GetFileAttachment_002.jpe
    1.5 MB · Views: 130
  • GetFileAttachment_003.jpe
    GetFileAttachment_003.jpe
    601.2 KB · Views: 94
  • GetFileAttachment.jpe
    GetFileAttachment.jpe
    539.7 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 16

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done!!!! Silence all the non-believers in your gorilla glue madness!!!! :laughing7:

disclaimer - I have not read the controversial thread mentioned - just stirring the pot ;)

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I never said it would break on its maiden voyage, but it sure as hell won't last thru the summer if you do any sort of regular metal detecting.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes, hard used tools tend to break anyways whether glued or not. I have used a modified samson shovel with a piece of aluminum plate JB Welded to the upper blade for me to use my hand palm to push down on. Epoxied it on there last year, came off two days ago. probably do it again. oh yeah, congrats on the ring, still great find

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your find. That Gorilla Glue is some tough stuff. I've used it before.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do quite a bit of hunting. During those hunts, deep targets, at 8 inches are common. I won't risk a ruined hunt due to defective or substandard equipment. That includes digging tools. My Leche is the only tool I'll use.
Congrats on your ring recovery.

Last edited:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding a ring with your repaired digger.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do quite a bit of hunting. During those hunts, deep targets, at 8 inches are common. I won't risk a ruined hunt due to defective or substandard equipment. That includes digging tools. My Leche is the only tool I'll use.
Congrats on your ring recovery.

I agree. There are two things I just couldn't do without--a pinpointer, and a Lesche.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
The stongest part of the trowel is the gorilla glue... just sayin'.

I like you scored a ring though. Good hunt.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your unique tool will only end a good hunt early. I don't known why you're stubborn!!

Nice ring- wish it was gold for yah

OP
OP
S

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
Your unique tool will only end a good hunt early. I don't known why you're stubborn!!

Nice ring- wish it was gold for yah

Sometimes to get results others don't you have to be willing to do things others won't.... I really wanted to practice a little handyman's alchemy by using Gorilla Glue and Gorilla Tape to transform a $2.97 Wal-Mart trowel into a viable digging alternative to much more expensive diggers like the Lesche. Since I always keep the glue and tape around for other repairs they weren't an extra expense for me. Results don't lie as I explained above. There are always people who are doubters, naysayers, trolls etc., but I tune them out. These types will want you to prove that with a truck load of flour you could make at least one biscuit. In other words, it's a waste of time --- I'd rather spend time detecting etc. etc. What worked for me in the above case could work for others....
HH
-spyguy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread