Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Silvers, relics, and my first time in the 1600s!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2014
    Toano, Virginia
    Whites Coinmaster, Tesoro Tejon, White's VX3, White's TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP Deus,
    315 times
    Relic Hunting

Silvers, relics, and my first time in the 1600's!!

So I've had a pre-civil war permission near my home for a long time and have hit it here and there over the years with limited success. All that changed this week! There is an old home site (which is on a few CW maps that I have found) on the property that dates back, from what I've been told, to the 1700's. Unfortunately, the home site was taken over in the past 50 years by a large patch of bamboo.. I've attempted to traverse it several times, but swinging a detector in there is dang near impossible. The rest of the property is mostly crop fields and a little bit of woods. I have always tried to get into the fields, but the farmer that leases the land, keeps it growing almost year round. This last week, he said he was going to let it rest for a few weeks after he plows, so that was my chance. I went into the fields twice this week with my favorite digging partner, my son, and boy am I glad I did!

Saturday, I started out by noticing that there is unbelievably little to no modern trash in the field, so if you hear something, it's probably good. My first couple good finds were the usual CW area relics, a round ball, mini-ball, and a few other personal relics (lead soldier, heart pendant, etc). Then it happens, out pops the most beautiful 1700's Asian "Tiger Bell".(At that point I thought it was a crotal bell.) I cleaned it up and it even rings! I am in love! At that point I am over the moon and didn't care if I found another thing that day, but I did! Not 15 minutes later, six inches down, I see the gleam of silver and out pops a 1799 half Reale! My first 1700's coin, and first Spanish Reale!!

Flash forward to yesterday, I went to a new part of the field. This section was closer to the home site, and a lot trashier. I found lots of the usual homesite junk (wire, tin, etc.) but mixed in with that was treasure! I found one flat button, and a small decorative broach. Then I get a quiet squeak with a VDI of 79-80. I dig about 6 inches down and recheck the hole. Much louder tone now, an VDI showing high 80s. 6 inches more and now into a sandy layer, and out comes a gorgeous 1925 peace dollar! Amazing!

It was getting late, and my son was getting tired so we decided to head back to the truck. On the way out I get a mid 70's signal, and find my first peice of the 1600's, an awesome trapezoidal buckle! After a small amount of research I discovered that an example of the same buckle was found at Jamestown settlement, in Williamsburg, Va. which I live about 20 minuets from!

Overall an absolutely Amazing week!! Thanks for reading!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170604_071909_555.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	1462896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-05 08.20.38.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	298.5 KB 
ID:	1462897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19225191_10155405401791779_6232449406966467016_n.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	1462899
    Last edited by RebelYeller; Jun 17, 2017 at 08:11 PM. Reason: correction

us
    Oct 2009
    Jersey Cape
    Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
    838 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (3)
    Smokin' hunt and finds esp. that Tiger bell and the buckles , ahhh may I ... all of them !

CMDdawg
    RebelYeller likes this.

us
    Jun 2015
    ES of Maryland
    XP Deus
    4568 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Very nice hunting. Never Heard of or seen a tiger bell but it looks old. Your buckle is actually referred to as a trapezoidal but most definately 1600s
    Last edited by toasted; Jun 17, 2017 at 11:37 AM.
    RebelYeller likes this.
    Favorite finds
    Colonial silver pomander-1600s trefoil spectacle buckle-Late 1600s two piece assymetrical buckle(avatar)-Charles II half real cob-Philip V 1 real cob-Philip V cut Pistareen-colonial silver cufflink-1781 half real-Seated Half Dollar-2 Seated Quarters-21 Seated Dimes-6 Seated Half Dimes-3 Trimes-1865 love token-10k class ring

us
    Dec 2006
    Colonial Virginia
    XP Deus Teknetics T2
    1277 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Beautiful bell and trapezoidal buckle. Have I run into you and your son in a field in K&Q county a couple of years ago?
    RebelYeller likes this.

us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    7133 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Really amazing stuff! That tiger bell is something I've never seen or heard of. And a trapezoidal spectacle buckle is a 17th century relic I'm yet to find. I've found a few single chape 17th century shoe buckles but never that type
    RebelYeller likes this.
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2017 BEST FINDS
    -1723 KG1
    -Colonial Cufflinks
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

us
    Bob

Jun 2014
    Granite, Maryland
    Teknetics Omega 8000 Teknetics Delta 4000, Deteknix XPointer, Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
    2263 times
    Metal Detecting
    Definitely a fantastic week. Beautiful finds...
    RebelYeller likes this.
    "'It Don't Mean a THING if You Ain't Got That Swing......"

amazing finds, love that bell, very unique and simple in design. congrats on the such wonderful finds
    RebelYeller likes this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

Congrats on your great hunt! I have no clue what a tiger bell is but it looks pretty cool as do the other finds!
    RebelYeller likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Kevin

Feb 2017
    FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
    Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
    5478 times
    Wowser! That's a very fine bunch of bucket list finds you got there mate. I imagine your adrenal glands are shot after this amazing haul of goodies. Well done and please do get back in there for more.
    RebelYeller likes this.

us
    VERDE

Jun 2013
    Louisiana
    AT Pro
    674 times
    Hey RebelYeller!! Really Neat Finds and Congrats!! My son is an Oral and Cosmetic Surgeon in Williamsburg!! Neat Place. Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!
    RebelYeller likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC
    XP Deus Sovereign GT
    3818 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Awesome finds! Quite a few bucket listers in that field. Congratulations!
    RebelYeller likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Detect smarter, not harder.

Mar 2014
    The NorthEast
    Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
    11280 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (5)
    Very nice trapezoidal, and a whole one is always a nice thing. Congrats!
    RebelYeller likes this.

"Take the detecta-drama elsewhere - I'm just here to dig!"

Running totals:

Hammered Silvers - 2
    Hammered Coppers - 1
    Milled Spanish Silver - 13
    Colonial State Coppers - 7
    United States Cent/Half cent Coppers - 122
    British & Other colonial Coppers - 102
    Slick coppers - too painful to talk about
    Silver Coins - 900-1000

Favourite Finds:
    1665 1-reale Spanish Cob
    Revolutionary War stirrup
    1812 2nd Regiment Artillarists pewter button
    1695 Willam 3rd Halfpenny in excellent condition
    G.W. Inagural Buttons - 6 Point Estoile cuff variety
    Love token etched on 1859 seated Dime
    1852 Trimmy trimmy trime
    1831 Louis Phillippe 1st - 5 Franc
    1783 Nova Constelatio, Crosby-3C &. Crosby-1B
    1749 King George II Farthing (mint fresh)

If it ain't at least seated, it aint Sh*t

us
    May 2014
    Toano, Virginia
    Whites Coinmaster, Tesoro Tejon, White's VX3, White's TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP Deus,
    315 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by toasted View Post
    Very nice hunting. Never Heard of or seen a tiger bell but it looks old. Your buckle is actually referred to as a trapezoidal but most definately 1600s
    Apparently tiger bells were used in Asia to ward off evil spirits and bad karma, or so i read
    Westfront likes this.

us
    May 2014
    Toano, Virginia
    315 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyfresh View Post
    Beautiful bell and trapezoidal buckle. Have I run into you and your son in a field in K&Q county a couple of years ago?
    Not that I know of Joey

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYeller View Post
    Apparently tiger bells were used in Asia to ward off evil spirits and bad karma, or so i read
    It's onto you to check it out!
    RebelYeller likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links