Take Me To the River.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. Went out for some much needed therapy this evening along the scenic Rock River outside of Dixon, Illinois. Probably one of my favorite places to hunt. Darn nice views. I worked the river bank break and did pretty well for me. I had to wade through many pull tabs and lead sinkers but managed a nice old 1911 Philadelphia mint Barber dime. Been a coons age since I dug a Barber. Not sure how old coons get so maybe not a good reference. I got my third 1929 Philly minted Wheat penny this year. A good year for 1929's from Philly. As the sun was setting I dug what I was almost beginning to hope was a trime out of the sand along the shore. I couldn't make it out until I got home and used my 10X cheater loops. It's a tiny brass thingy with the word "World" on it and an image of a gentleman riding an old time bicycle. Anyone have a clue as to what it is please chime in. I dug probably my oldest Jefferson Nickel and it was a good 8 or 9 inches deep. I thought for certain it was a V when I first saw it. I hunted until after sundown and managed to get locked into the park. It has automatic gates that close at 9:00 o'clock. I had to drive around through some pine trees to get out. :hello: The Park District lets folks stay in this park until 11:00 p.m. I stayed until 10:30 and called it a wonderful cool evening. I did run into the Park Ranger again and confessed my getting locked in and driving through the pine trees to get out. He showed me the little switchboard thingy where you can call the sheriffs department and they will remotely open the gate to let you out. He also said please do not drive through the pine trees anymore.:laughing7: He's a great guy and I am glad I am creating a relationship of sorts with him. He trusts me and even gave me his business card and said if I spot any "suspicious" characters to call him. I mentioned me being out in the park alone with my green LED headlamp swinging a shafted thing and digging holes at night seems kinda' suspicious to me.:tongue3: Anyhow had a great night and got a few cool older items. Thanks for stopping by. Kurios1

006.JPG 005.JPG 007.JPG 009.JPG olympus 005.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 13

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:hello: I had forgotten about making chains out of pull tabs. That makes me smile.

Oh, yeah, nice silver.

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin.... Being a life long competitive cyclist I'd love to do some research on your brass cycling token!
I can't make out any details from your pics. They are a little blurry. Great story, nice finds...maybe you could post up a couple of better pics on the token?

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: I had forgotten about making chains out of pull tabs. That makes me smile.

Oh, yeah, nice silver.

Ah yes, the classic pull tab "necklace". I had to throw that pair in there to prompt a few memories of days gone by.

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin.... Being a life long competitive cyclist I'd love to do some research on your brass cycling token!
I can't make out any details from your pics. They are a little blurry. Great story, nice finds...maybe you could post up a couple of better pics on the token?

Thanks for your reply. I tried several times to get a better picture with the old Olympus camera and I couldn't get a good picture. If I find my old Pentax I will put it up in the What Is It section. It's not a token coin but, a very thin and fragile piece of brass. It has to be old. I have no idea what it may have been used for.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sweet barber, I am hoping to find one soon in my site that I am hunting. it is nice to meet people who are nice and not jerks, sometimes all you got to do is to talk with them a little bit

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds, nice job on the Barber!

Top Member Reactions