It was a double chocolate frosty day! Silver, wheaties, a token and a buff!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We were back at our new permission and my wife found the first good find, her second toasted pocket knife. A little bit later, I found a 1911 wheatie among overall buckle parts. I found a spill of 30-06 brass that kept me busy for a little bit with another wheatie or two thrown in. my wife was trying hard to avoid the poison oak so I went in where she was avoiding and began digging pull rings and tabs here and there. I had just dug a tab and moved about a foot when I dug what I though was going to be another tab when I realized that it was a nickle. As I lightly wiped it, I realized that my Buff drought was over as I looked at the buffalo. The back was toasted and no date was there but it is still a buff! About a foot from the buff, I hit another target that I thought might be a penny. 1916 merc! second merc on the property! My wife got really excited now and decided to help me in my spot. She got her third wheatie, 1943 and I got another one, 1942. I got a no date toasted wheatie and she got what I think is a lipstick tube. I had dug five or six shotgun brass headstamps and though that I had dug another one when I realized that it was a token. Oklahoma consumers tax token 5 on one side and For Old Age Assistance on the back side, pretty cool. the two yale keys were in one hole. I did make one mistake, I put my hand down on a small fire ant hill while digging a hole, they lit me up pretty good.

Attachments

• CIMG1742.JPG
    CIMG1742.JPG
    691.9 KB · Views: 84
  • CIMG1746.JPG
    CIMG1746.JPG
    315 KB · Views: 75
  • CIMG1753.JPG
    CIMG1753.JPG
    284.6 KB · Views: 78
  • CIMG1757.JPG
    CIMG1757.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 14

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn good hunt you and the beloved enjoyed together today. Looks like you are on a great spot. Sorry but, I had to laugh about them fire ants lighting you up a bit. Been there and learned that lesson as well.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
We were back at our new permission and my wife found the first good find, her second toasted pocket knife. A little bit later, I found a 1911 wheatie among overall buckle parts. I found a spill of 30-06 brass that kept me busy for a little bit with another wheatie or two thrown in. my wife was trying hard to avoid the poison oak so I went in where she was avoiding and began digging pull rings and tabs here and there. I had just dug a tab and moved about a foot when I dug what I though was going to be another tab when I realized that it was a nickle. As I lightly wiped it, I realized that my Buff drought was over as I looked at the buffalo. The back was toasted and no date was there but it is still a buff! About a foot from the buff, I hit another target that I thought might be a penny. 1916 merc! second merc on the property! My wife got really excited now and decided to help me in my spot. She got her third wheatie, 1943 and I got another one, 1942. I got a no date toasted wheatie and she got what I think is a lipstick tube. I had dug five or six shotgun brass headstamps and though that I had dug another one when I realized that it was a token. Oklahoma consumers tax token 5 on one side and For Old Age Assistance on the back side, pretty cool. the two yale keys were in one hole. I did make one mistake, I put my hand down on a small fire ant hill while digging a hole, they lit me up pretty good.

You might want to recheck that 1943 wheat. A steel one would rust. If you have a copper one and it is for sure a 1943, you are looking at a 60 thousand dollar coin.

Congrats on the silver and wheats

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You might want to recheck that 1943 wheat. A steel one would rust. If you have a copper one and it is for sure a 1943, you are looking at a 60 thousand dollar coin.

Congrats on the silver and wheats

it probably isn't a 43, it is questionable on the 3, could be an 8.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Darn good hunt you and the beloved enjoyed together today. Looks like you are on a great spot. Sorry but, I had to laugh about them fire ants lighting you up a bit. Been there and learned that lesson as well.

actually I got into the fire ants twice, they seem to be everywhere. I stepped onto a hill (wearing crocs) and they ate my feet up and then I put my hand onto that smaller hill while digging. yep, got about a hundred bites on both feet and my my right hand. the good thing is that they don't affect me like some people. I will get a little puss pac at each bite and after I drain them, they go away. My son-n-law carries the shot around with him, he reacts poorly to their bites.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
neither merc pulled from this site has had a great silver signal, I am pretty sure both were on edge but also believe that the soil content had a lot to do with it. had to ground balance the pin pointer several times on both. I really thought that I was digging something else.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great finds! Can't tell from the pic- any MM on the back of that 16 Merc?

-- Jeff --

Trapper340

Aug 21, 2016
Lebanon missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know about them ants and they are not fun. Congratulations on the fine hunt.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the great finds! Can't tell from the pic- any MM on the back of that 16 Merc?

-- Jeff --

I couldn't find the mark but this is only my second merc in like less than a week

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions