Colonial Era Flat Button - Design? And How to Clean it?

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

My buddy found this flat button over at the same old 1600's farmhouse where I got my draped bust large cent. I told him not to clean or rub it because I wasn't sure how best to do that, so I'm coming here for some advice.

Here's a pic of it, still dirty. It looks almost like I can see the letter 'A' on it, but that could just be dirt.

Thanks in advance for the help!

IMG_7384.JPG 20170629_071926.jpg 20170629_072017.jpg

Upvote 5

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best way to clean is using a tooth pick to gently clean. If needed soak in DISTILLED water only(never tap water) over night and try using tooth pick or very soft tooth brush to lightly clean. Then repeat soaking and cleaning until you are satisfied. Some times it can take a week of light brushing and soaking. This is the safest way for most brass/bronze/copper relics and coins. After your done soaking you can bake it at no more than 250F to drive off excess water. Then next step is preference on if you want to use a high grade microcrystaline wax to seal it while still warm from baking out water.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(never tap water) over g until you are satisfied. Some times it This is the safest way for most brass/bronze/copper relics and coins. After your done soaking you can bake it at no more than 250F to drive off excess water. Then next step is preference on if you want to use a high grade microcrystaline wax to seal it while still warm from baking out water.
Where can I get some microcrystalline wax??

OP
OP
Shakakka

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where can I get some microcrystalline wax??

Go on amazon and look up 'Renaissance wax'. One small bottle will last you the rest of your life.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its plain with scratches. No need to worry about using a nail brush & hot soapy water on that one. Circa 1750-80.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions