Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've officially found twice as many silver rings as I have silver coins. Not complaining! Baffled as to why I can't find a Merc!

20170719_210955.jpg
20170719_211227.jpg

The wheat penny is 1944.

Shotgun shell is Remington sureshot.

The other thing I have no idea.

Thanks for checking out my day!

Upvote 21

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool little ring. Congrats. -Lisa & John

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same thing happen with me. The wierd thing was I slowed my swing down alot it seems with my AT PRO any way that dimes were really easy to miss cause they were so small and I was swinging to fast ,which I didnt thimk I was but Ive been killin it on silver dimes lately. Just a thought!!!Tommy great ring by the way....

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twice as many silver rings than silver coins? Well-------- Not a bad thing I'll tell you what. I'd be just dandy with that. You're doing good.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that silver rings are better than mercs... but I prefer to find mercs, just something about silver coins.

You are doing well sir. Keep after it!

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the same thing happen with me. The wierd thing was I slowed my swing down alot it seems with my AT PRO any way that dimes were really easy to miss cause they were so small and I was swinging to fast ,which I didnt thimk I was but Ive been killin it on silver dimes lately. Just a thought!!!Tommy great ring by the way....

Seconded...slow it down

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful rind, Capone. It looks like it may be Native American or Mexican made. Any markings as such? Sub 8-)

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking ring. Your unknown item looks like it may be a screwdriver handle. Was there any metal on it that would have made your detector go off ? Is it all metal ? I have found handles like that, but its hard to tell from your pic.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm running a similar ratio of silver rings to coins.

Looks like you're having fun though!

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

...completely agree. I have found that if I decide what specific area I will search in...say an area 50 feet x 50 feet, and slowly go over I have found a lot of stuff previously missed. I will even go back over the same ground from a difference angle as the signal can be clearer based on the angle something is laying. Happy hunting...that Merc is out there somewhere patiently waiting for you.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i got started over ten years ago , i was finding a lot of silver rings because i was hitting city parks ,and nobody else was hunting them . These days I'm not as keen to hunt parks so my ring finds have slowed way down . Like you , i haven't yet found a particular coin - for me it's the Indian Head cent .

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that's a beautiful ring, I take what ever silver I can get and am happy but those older silver coins are pretty hard to beat. congrats

OP
OP
C

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This advice could be worth it's weight in.....silver. :p

Thank you everyone for the tips. This might be the key for me. I tend to swing and walk fast. Maybe I'm being condition Pavlog style, because when I hit a coin signal, I notice the AT reads higher when you sweep across the target faster. I've found tons of clad over the last few months, but maybe my initial swings are just too fast for small silver like a Merc. I've been chalking it up to public spots (silver hunted out) and silver that is just too deep to read.

Feedback is much appreciated.

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i got started over ten years ago , i was finding a lot of silver rings because i was hitting city parks ,and nobody else was hunting them . These days I'm not as keen to hunt parks so my ring finds have slowed way down . Like you , i haven't yet found a particular coin - for me it's the Indian Head cent .

I think we all have those items common for some (based on region) and impossible to find for others. An IHP is a common find for me but would be hard pressed to ever find anything from the civil war....or anything from the colonists.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions