🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out last week after work a couple evenings and turned up some interesting relics as well as a KG and 1861 fatty IHP. Some interesting iron turned up as well and it just came out of the electrolysis tank today.

IMG_20170724_193942.jpg

This is the tail piece to a early musket trigger guard. I searched all over for the rest of it with no luck.

IMG_20170724_194446.jpg

This find made the hunt for me. It was a deep, faint signal and when I picked it up, I knew just what it was. This is a toy pewter teacup for a young girl. The handle is missing, but otherwise its in great condition.

IMG_20170724_194025.jpg

Here is the new teacup with another teacup, a bowl and plates that I've found at other sites. These were the iPhone's of their day :laughing7:

IMG_20170724_233754.jpg

This is one of my favorite dandy buttons and its a big one too. It has a tombac patina to it, but it looks brass where its flaking away. So I'm not really sure what this one if made of.

IMG_20170724_194133.jpg

I did a field wipe on this one and couldn't believe I was seeing a guy laying on top of an elephant. :icon_scratch: The backmark is "WADHAMS & CO. SUPERFINE" While google searching it, I came across an identical button posted on here http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/172844-elephant-button.html A big thank you to Cru (7 years ago) for all the info he posted on that thread. It appears to be circa 1847 or so.

IMG_20170724_194153.jpg

These were my 5th pair of complete scissors from early sites throughout the years. I have quite the collection of these things now and they never get old finding them. I'd imagine these were as important as the thimbles that we find all the time.

IMG_20170724_195514.jpg

Front and back.

IMG_20170724_195332.jpg

I believe this is a KG with a right facing bust... III maybe. There is some interesting design on the back, but this thing was worn pretty smooth when it was lost. I think I used up all my "copper karma" with the 1833LC in my last post. But a coppers, a copper and I'm always pleased to dig them.

IMG_20170724_194241.jpg

IMG_20170724_194010.jpg

A couple months ago I dug my first button with thread still on it. I have dug 100's or even upwards of a 1000 buttons and I finally found one with thread.... well, I forgot to mention, but I had another one in my last post. And here is my 3rd. Funny how that happens where you can't find something and then you get a flood of them.

IMG_20170724_194409.jpg

This hing pin is one of my favorites. I find these pretty frequently, but this is the first that the blacksmith put notches in. This was almost certainly made for masonry, so it could be set in mortar and the notches locked it in.

IMG_20170722_172103.jpg

Posted.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting everyone. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Upvote 33

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks a ton! And thank you for that contextual bit of info... very interesting. I just assumed they were for masonry... however I am sure they drilled pilot holes in the beams for these and those notches probably helped them lock into place. I have a clinched hinge pin somewhere that I cant find, however these notches would probably be just as efficient.

After reading your reply, you prompted me to grab a few of my pins from various displays... and in doing so, I noticed something on the far right (huge, broken) pin... the same notches. I guess I didn't notice it because I'm missing half of that pin.

View attachment 1476023

Here's an example of what I was referring to. Bad photo as the beam is laying on its side.

IMG_20170725_182604837.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super killer hunt... Looks like your on a "giving" spot.

Well done.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out last week after work a couple evenings and turned up some interesting relics as well as a KG and 1861 fatty IHP. Some interesting iron turned up as well and it just came out of the electrolysis tank today.

View attachment 1475940

This is the tail piece to a early musket trigger guard. I searched all over for the rest of it with no luck.

View attachment 1475947

This find made the hunt for me. It was a deep, faint signal and when I picked it up, I knew just what it was. This is a toy pewter teacup for a young girl. The handle is missing, but otherwise its in great condition.

View attachment 1475942

Here is the new teacup with another teacup, a bowl and plates that I've found at other sites. These were the iPhone's of their day :laughing7:

View attachment 1475950

This is one of my favorite dandy buttons and its a big one too. It has a tombac patina to it, but it looks brass where its flaking away. So I'm not really sure what this one if made of.

View attachment 1475943

I did a field wipe on this one and couldn't believe I was seeing a guy laying on top of an elephant. :icon_scratch: The backmark is "WADHAMS & CO. SUPERFINE" While google searching it, I came across an identical button posted on here http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/172844-elephant-button.html A big thank you to Cru (7 years ago) for all the info he posted on that thread. It appears to be circa 1847 or so.

View attachment 1475944

These were my 5th pair of complete scissors from early sites throughout the years. I have quite the collection of these things now and they never get old finding them. I'd imagine these were as important as the thimbles that we find all the time.

View attachment 1475949

Front and back.

View attachment 1475948

I believe this is a KG with a right facing bust... III maybe. There is some interesting design on the back, but this thing was worn pretty smooth when it was lost. I think I used up all my "copper karma" with the 1833LC in my last post. But a coppers, a copper and I'm always pleased to dig them.

View attachment 1475945

View attachment 1475941

A couple months ago I dug my first button with thread still on it. I have dug 100's or even upwards of a 1000 buttons and I finally found one with thread.... well, I forgot to mention, but I had another one in my last post. And here is my 3rd. Funny how that happens where you can't find something and then you get a flood of them.

View attachment 1475946

This hing pin is one of my favorites. I find these pretty frequently, but this is the first that the blacksmith put notches in. This was almost certainly made for masonry, so it could be set in mortar and the notches locked it in.

View attachment 1475939

View attachment 1475951

Thanks for looking and happy hunting everyone. :icon_thumright:
That hinge is cool! I found one similar awhile back and thought it was one of a kind. Must have been a common practice. Mine only has the notches on two of the four edges. Thanks for sharing.
3aefe232261f3300dee3d413248bee37.jpg
435f1930e31838b3af61d43fede98af0.jpg

HH, RN

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some amazing finds!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: One thing that I noticed was was that you found 2 drawer pulls and also a key hole escutcheon. (plate of brass that goes around a keyhole) These are of Batwing style, probably off a piece of furniture from the Queen Anne period (1760s) They could be off of the same piece of furniture. These are not a common find because most people could not afford a piece of furniture with fancy brass decorations. By the 1790's an oval back plate was used instead of a batwing style. Great pieces of colonial History!

Last edited:

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I love your explanation of all the items. Very interesting

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the comments! A lot of you seem to really like the elephant button :headbang: I thought it was very interesting and I'll have to try and find out more about it. The one post I linked to the same button has some good into... but now I wonder if it was a sportsman button, or a political button, or something else. Thank you all again for the comments.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's an example of what I was referring to. Bad photo as the beam is laying on its side.

View attachment 1476243

That's awesome to see it insitu like that. Strap hinges and hing pins are some of my favorites.

That hinge is cool! I found one similar awhile back and thought it was one of a kind. Must have been a common practice. Mine only has the notches on two of the four edges. Thanks for sharing.
3aefe232261f3300dee3d413248bee37.jpg
435f1930e31838b3af61d43fede98af0.jpg

HH, RN

Another great bit of into Relic Nut :occasion14: So it appears it was a more common practice than any of us thought. The direction of the notches would allow it to be hammered in, but not be pulled back out. Since they were building with trees they chopped, hewed and seasoned in the air, I bet there was a fair amount of shrinkage and expansion throughout the seasons. I'd imagine a loose door was a frustrating thing to put up with.

I really like seeing so many people appreciating and preserving stuff like these hinge pins. Awesome job guys :occasion14:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt! Great post and great restorations. Lots of history there for sure!! Love the designs on that dandy. Congrats

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey bud, guess I'm late to the party. I was just scratching my head wondering if you'd posted these finds after receiving pics...

The hinge pin is awesome. For me, anything that shows hand strikes (or working) on something really old is the best. Also great tail piece so GFY!

And those scissors are incredible. I have an almost complete one from "Bud's Place" but the top of both loops are gone.

Cheers and I'm stoked to see you on the old goodies buddy.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Notches in that hinge pin are definitely made to hold it into something for sure it may also have been pounded into wood

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread