Seated Quarter, Counterfeit 8 Reales, Seated Dime, Civil War!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Got out with Shangalang for a land hunt after my water adventure. Was hotter than hell at 95 degrees. Luckily the finds were hot too. Here's the video:

Shangamufugus dug a nice canteen spout and the 1842-O Seated Dime and I got a decent (although dented) Eagle CW button. Also eyeballed a nice early marble (hand made marble) along with a handful of other marbles and a paste "jewel" setting from a ring. Unfortunately eyeballed some killer bitters bottles (broken by the plow). Got a nice high reading and dug a discolored, silver dollar-sized disc. Even though it has no detail whatsoever, there is an edge design, and it is exactly the right diameter for an 8 Reales. After some baking soda and aluminum foil treatment to remove the corrosion, it was silver-colored (obviously made of some sort of debased silver alloy). I'm thrilled to have a counterfeit 8 in the collection. Seems like most of these coins were counterfeits unless cut wedges. Oh, and I found Jesus along the way. :laughing7: After lunch I got a solid 79 in the bottom of a cane row and popped out a beautiful 1856-O Seated Quarter (my 5th one ever). Then I scratched out a Mcclellan saddle piece (bent, but I straightened it--see display case photos below). Also walked up on a brass head staring up at me from the cane row!

IMG_4966a.jpg
Enjoy the pics and corny video. :laughing9:

Here's the big 8 fresh out of the ground, after cleaning, and a close-up of the circle/dash edge design visible. Diameter is 38mm and the weight is 25 grams.

IMG_3720a.jpg IMG_1135.JPG IMG_3724a.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG IMG_1139.JPG

Here's the Seated Quarter!

IMG_4956a.jpg IMG_4961a.jpg IMG_4964a.jpg

IMG_1136.JPG IMG_1137.JPG

And all my finds:

IMG_1130.JPG IMG_1133.JPG IMG_1134.JPG

Cheers,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 51

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Most excellent finds Buck. Great seated silver and the counterfeit 8 is a killer piece, and the makers went through great care to get the weight very close to a real 8. I've seen some made with cheaper pot metal that came in underweight due to the tin content. Yours is likely pure copper.

You rocked it, that is you and Shang rocked it...

Steve

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indiana Jones would be JEALOUS!:BangHead: Great score on that sweet detailed quarter and the face is over the top coolness for a relic find.8-) Great hunting mate.:icon_thumleft:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a marvellous hunt.
I like the counterfeit 8 Reale.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your finds make me wonder what am I doing. Your one hunt trumps my years of detecting Wow The person who made counterfit coins should be hunted down and punished!!!!!@

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your finds make me wonder what am I doing. Your one hunt trumps my years of detecting Wow The person who made counterfit coins should be hunted down and punished!!!!!@

One Great Site & you/me would want more. 'IMO'

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dangalang Y'all!

Another Great Hunt.
Even in the Heat.

I like all yr finds Marbles & all.:laughing7:

That Seated Q , was lost soon after production ,imo , Then many years of the Plow did its thing.

Ya Know... I like to buy Seated coins (Half Dimes , & Dimes ) are more in my price range , anyway I been using this 'Coin's' Magazine as my General reference when I go the the Shop ' I been using Sept 2016 , & when buying /shopping Seated's last week I noticed The Seated type has gone up in value example 1858 10c 9-2016 in g =$12 ; 8-2017 1858 in g= $22 . 'Retail of Course.
&
Say 10 c , 1840 O in G, 9-2016 = $ 18 ; Now in 8-2017 1840 O in G , $60 ......WOW!
This may be a Type -O .???

If not I been doing great buying Seated Dimes in the past few years , & yr 'Killing' it digging all those 'O' mint Coins.

You should make some $ in the far future if u ever have to sell. (Even Dug).:icon_thumleft:

Just checked yr 1858 O Quarter , in Good is up $10 in the same time period.
Heck the same Quarter in XF 40 went from $140 up to $275. 'Retail'

If not a type=O , people love these Seated Types.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done sir!

You and Shangrapod really did well, especially considering the heat.

That quarter is really sharp & sweet, as is the 8R counterfeit... I regret to admit that I like marbles, and you got clay ones, nice.

Thanks for sharing, and best of luck to you and your crew!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer hunt in the heat with awesome finds! I like the face best even with the counterfeit 8R....

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt...but are you sure it's a counterfeit? Looks like a well worn legit coin from this angle.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice going Buck with fighting off the heat to bring home some nice keepers, including the always desired big silver. Good luck at the beach ....

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Seated Quarter has managed to escape the swing of my coil. You had a sweet hunt.
Nice variety,, Congratulations

Was a long time before I dug my first one--which was around 2008 or 2009 as I recall. So that's a long time from when I started back in 1991. But the Barber Quarter took even longer for me to find my first--which was only a couple years ago.

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! I think that face is incredible, the little interesting things are my favorite! I love when a hunt starts off good and you just keep smiling:)

You're right--it totally takes the pressure off once a good find comes early in a hunt! I like the face too--and it's a bonus that it fits well in a display case. :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most excellent finds Buck. Great seated silver and the counterfeit 8 is a killer piece, and the makers went through great care to get the weight very close to a real 8. I've seen some made with cheaper pot metal that came in underweight due to the tin content. Yours is likely pure copper.

You rocked it, that is you and Shang rocked it...

Steve

Thanks so much, Steve! Detail or no detail, I'm very happy to have a "big 8" in the collection. Crazy that this one circulated until worn smooth. You'd think that it would've been found out as a counterfeit by then.

Regards,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another Great Hunt.
Even in the Heat.

I like all yr finds Marbles & all.:laughing7:

That Seated Q , was lost soon after production ,imo , Then many years of the Plow did its thing.

Ya Know... I like to buy Seated coins (Half Dimes , & Dimes ) are more in my price range , anyway I been using this 'Coin's' Magazine as my General reference when I go the the Shop ' I been using Sept 2016 , & when buying /shopping Seated's last week I noticed The Seated type has gone up in value example 1858 10c 9-2016 in g =$12 ; 8-2017 1858 in g= $22 . 'Retail of Course.
&
Say 10 c , 1840 O in G, 9-2016 = $ 18 ; Now in 8-2017 1840 O in G , $60 ......WOW!
This may be a Type -O .???

If not I been doing great buying Seated Dimes in the past few years , & yr 'Killing' it digging all those 'O' mint Coins.

You should make some $ in the far future if u ever have to sell. (Even Dug).:icon_thumleft:

Just checked yr 1858 O Quarter , in Good is up $10 in the same time period.
Heck the same Quarter in XF 40 went from $140 up to $275. 'Retail'

If not a type=O , people love these Seated Types.

Hello my friend! We find lots of marbles in that field, and two others. Seems like the old sites were contaminated by later time frames--and by marble-loosing ankle-biters :D When the fields are plowed every few years, all sorts of things turn up.

Nice to hear that the seated series is increasing in value! Seems like these used to be considered more boring to collectors--perhaps since all the coins of every denomination looked the same! LOL. At any rate, we find a lot of O mint coins here--so I'm hoping for a rare one at some point, like an 1860-O seated dime, or an 1842-O small date or 1849-O seated quarter (although an 1895-O Barber Dime would certainly be awesome!).

It's also a major goal to recover an 1815 Capped Quarter from Louisiana, given the history of that one year of quarter, and the infamous coin shortage. Basically, the reason that we have 25 cent coins (rather than 20 cent divisions of a dollar) was due to pressure from Louisiana banks during the coin shortages around the 1810-15 period. 70,000 1815 Capped Quarters were shipped to New Orleans above the ship "Big Free Ocean" to end the coin shortage. Would love to find one of those--because given the scarcity of Capped coinage in general, if one were to find that year down here it would have an amazing--and specific--story to tell!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done sir!

You and Shangrapod really did well, especially considering the heat.

That quarter is really sharp & sweet, as is the 8R counterfeit... I regret to admit that I like marbles, and you got clay ones, nice.

Thanks for sharing, and best of luck to you and your crew!

Thanks so much, my friend. It's not often that a hand made glass marble is found.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt...but are you sure it's a counterfeit? Looks like a well worn legit coin from this angle.

It was so unusually black, made me think counterfeit. I've never seen such stubborn tarnish on a coin unless recovered in salt water. BUT it is quite close to the weight of a legit 8R so the jury is out on that one!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my friend! We find lots of marbles in that field, and two others. Seems like the old sites were contaminated by later time frames--and by marble-loosing ankle-biters :D When the fields are plowed every few years, all sorts of things turn up.

Nice to hear that the seated series is increasing in value! Seems like these used to be considered more boring to collectors--perhaps since all the coins of every denomination looked the same! LOL. At any rate, we find a lot of O mint coins here--so I'm hoping for a rare one at some point, like an 1860-O seated dime, or an 1842-O small date or 1849-O seated quarter (although an 1895-O Barber Dime would certainly be awesome!).

It's also a major goal to recover an 1815 Capped Quarter from Louisiana, given the history of that one year of quarter, and the infamous coin shortage. Basically, the reason that we have 25 cent coins (rather than 20 cent divisions of a dollar) was due to pressure from Louisiana banks during the coin shortages around the 1810-15 period. 70,000 1815 Capped Quarters were shipped to New Orleans above the ship "Big Free Ocean" to end the coin shortage. Would love to find one of those--because given the scarcity of Capped coinage in general, if one were to find that year down here it would have an amazing--and specific--story to tell!

Some Day Soon.
You will get one Key or more, I know you are thorough on yr hunts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread