Mushrooms and men.

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Not been out for a few weeks, but had the urge this afternoon. Frustratingly, fields are now being ploughed, but none I'm interested in. So I decided to once again try the Deus in programme P5, on an old pasture field, that I have hammered over the years. The only find of note was a late medieval bronze thimble. Food wise though a different story. Last Tuesday it rained heavily for over 24 hours non stop. This rain, caused these super sized mushrooms to sprout on the pasture field. I cut them in to steaks and fry them in butter, they taste great. So all in all, a good afternoon. Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_9206.JPG
    IMG_9206.JPG
    788.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_9203.JPG
    IMG_9203.JPG
    815.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_9207.JPG
    IMG_9207.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 100
Upvote 39

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHOA! There's a fungus amongstus! That's one HUGE shroom. Does it have a "name"? Never seen an edible mushroom like that. Looks like it would feed a family of four quite well. Nice old thimble BTW.:headbang:

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
WHOA! There's a fungus amongstus! That's one HUGE shroom. Does it have a "name"? Never seen an edible mushroom like that. Looks like it would feed a family of four quite well. Nice old thimble BTW.:headbang:
It's called a Giant Puff ball, usually when there this size there full of maggots . This one is as clean as a whistle.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey robfinds!! WOW WHOPPERS!! No worries, the maggots just add protein to the meal when saute'd and fried!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you got to that fungi just in time! Yes, Bacon is necessary -

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We used to have those puff balls come up in our front yard and I would get as many as I could, and just like you fry them in butter. Delicious! Ours were not that big, usually the size of baseballs or a little larger.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your time & field will come soon & with it all your usual finds. Tons of hammered.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on dinner choices. One has to be on top in getting the puffballs before the worms start having their meal. Best of luck on the next outing Rob, may the hammered come plenty.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the giant puffballs. My Grandpa had his picture in the small town paper several times for the huge ones he used to find. I like to batter them and fry them like eggplant.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have them here in Illinois Kurious. They are called Puff Balls. After a week or two, when they start to dry up if you kick them they will explode with a brown dust. (That's when you know its not good to eat) ! They are excellent tasting if you pick them at the right time as Rob seems to have done. Congrats on your food find Rob !

Lookit

Feb 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Puffballs, awesome! I love them and can rarely find them in this area! Did find a sack of chanterelles last weekend though!

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice thimble....you can keep the shrooms...yuk.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
make a hole in it and have a giant stuffed mushroom!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread