Another first! 2¢

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Along with my other post, another first at a different site on a different day was a 2¢ piece....but in awful shape. I cannot read the date and I am still thrilled with it....and know it was only minted from 1864-1873.
View attachment 1483701 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502894633.073079.jpg
In the same area, I found an AT Cross pen with a name on it...Patrolman....(name). I could not find him, but I found who I think was his wife that passed 2 years ago at the age of 95 and she belonged to the FOPA.
A son was listed with the same name..Jr. so I looked up his address and mailed it to him in MA. I hope he will find it a pleasant surprise!

Upvote 27

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
even i don't find coins every hunt only relics

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the 2 cent find! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, everyone!

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
even i don't find coins every hunt only relics

I was lucky to find old coins on my recent hunts, but believe me...there is a lot of junk too..wishing you a heart throbbing find...

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I keep seeing all these 2 cent pieces, but have yet to find my own.. Hopefully someday soon.
Also, that was a very nice gesture to send that to his son. I hope he appreciates it.

I just recently saw a posting of an excellent 2¢ piece and wondered if I would ever come across one....and did! So all the best to you!
Thanks for the kind words. One of my first woods finds was a sheet metal tool with an engraved name on it...I found the owner had worked on our home over 25 years ago before he moved to FL. He was married to a schoolmate of mine. The tool was probably a half mile from our home. I like reconnecting items to owners. Fun stories. [emoji6]

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, toasted on not, I'd be thrilled. It's still on my list to find, and I'd love to have dug up yours. Congrats on that, and well done on serving the patrolman's family. Cheers to you! :occasion14:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool and beautifully designed coin. I am sure the 2 Cent Piece is highly rated as one of the more sought after bucket list coins. It was for me and fortunately I got a very nice one and have seen none since. Not giving advice but, I wonder if there is any safe way to remove some of that crud and reveal a bit more detail. I wouldn't want you to destroy the coin attempting to do so but, thought someone might know a gentle way to take off some of that yuck without trashing the coin. Any way you go you got your 2 Cent Piece. No one can take that away from you!:headbang:

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have it soaking in olive oil for now.

Clevelander

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2017
Rocky River, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aesome Story

Congrats on your great find. Try electrolysis to clean the coin. Did it to a cob I found and worked well. You tube it. You returning the item to his family is a great story.Thanks for posting it!

Along with my other post, another first at a different site on a different day was a 2¢ piece....but in awful shape. I cannot read the date and I am still thrilled with it....and know it was only minted from 1864-1873.
View attachment 1483701 View attachment 1483703
In the same area, I found an AT Cross pen with a name on it...Patrolman....(name). I could not find him, but I found who I think was his wife that passed 2 years ago at the age of 95 and she belonged to the FOPA.
A son was listed with the same name..Jr. so I looked up his address and mailed it to him in MA. I hope he will find it a pleasant surprise!

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, Clevelander...I have seen videos about this and it may work nicely if I gather the materials and courage to try it!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first 2 Cent piece. Somehow when its the first one, no matter how bad of shape its in, you will always see it as a great coin. My 2 Cent pieces here in Illinois have run the table on condition. When I'm hunting yards they come out real nice because of the soil. When I'm hunting in the fields they are a little rougher because of the chemicals and battering they may take from the plows. No matter, its a coin that you could at least identify !

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are right, Trezure...a first find is wonderful. I've only had one "second" find..and that was a large cent...and both were exciting...but the first more so! Why does our brain do that? There are so many wonderful things in life that we "get used to". I could get used to having great digs.

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View attachment 1483701 View attachment 1483703

Just a follow up. This A.T. Cross pen with a name on it did indeed reach the son of the owner. The family sent a lovely "thank you" note with a little information about the patrolman whose name was on the pen. They also sent a photo of the man. to man. In regards to receiving the pen, they said they "will treasure it."...[emoji173]️ ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505181033.789130.jpg
It was fun to find something, track down the family, and return it! Since it belonged to someone who was deceased, the family was glad to get it and to remember his life.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also like returning things that I find if I can. You never know what will happen, Just a great story or a great reward! 3 years ago I found some old photographs cleaning out an expired office lease for one of my clients. They were in an a large manilla envelope with a letterhead taped to the back that said please return the pictures when you are finished. The pictures were from the 30's to the 70's and were all hunting and fishing themed. I could tell that they were family adventures of the same persons getting older. SO I Goggled the guy and eventually found and mailed them. A week later I got the nicest phone call telling me that his wife was crying looking at photos of family that had passed on. After thanking me he had to ask what ever brought me to seek him out and return them. etc etc and we got to talking about hunting and how much I loved hunting and fishing like his family. He said he would be delighted to take me hunting. All I had to do was get myself to his state and he would fy me out to some of the best hunting I have ever experienced. He got my email and said we were going bird hunting in Argentina. I hung up the phone and told myself Yeah Right! But not 15 minutes later I received via email the entire itinerary who was going etc.. I did some more thorough googling and this guy was a president of a very large (like the biggest) stock trading company and founded a newer major trading company. He is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. PS It was the time of my life! I still have lunch with him when I get by his town. YOU NEVER KNOW
PPS The pictures had gone missing for 27years. He loaned them to a friend in Nashville to use in a hunting and fishing magazine article. His friend died suddenly of a heart attack before they could be returned and no-one could find them.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread