Spanish Silver, and a colonial Apothecary weight! Wow!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
A quick post before I hit the sack. I went to an area I call Basstards of Brambles meadows. It's a place only me and the crew can go.

I found lots of buttons and such but they're soaking (not pictured)

A 1789 Spanish 1/2 reale (note the Carolous IV vs. Carolous IIII). Also, the double holing is killer. One was filled, only to have another put in it.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503020611.396732.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503020623.540104.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503020644.421655.jpg

It other keeper and a KILLER find was an apothecary weight, 3 Drachms. (Thanks Bill D. for the ID). Looks to be 18th century from my research.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503020793.173220.jpg

I went ahead and did a light zap in the electrolysis tank. I'm not a fan of zapping anything but iron, but I otherwise wouldn't have been able to make out the markings. Both sides are marked. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503020804.403088.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503020814.375135.jpg

An undug example

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503020949.899356.jpg

Curious about apothecary weights? Here's a tidbit:

https://www.britannica.com/science/apothecaries-weight

I'll post the buttons and bits tomorrow once cleaned.

UPDATED: some buttons incl. a nice folded colonial crosshatch, a winder, and some Indians including a roached 1871 and 1872

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503102805.825489.jpg

I'm glad I was able to add this picture before my post turned in to a pumpkin. Tnets 24 hour edit rule should GO!

Good digs and good luck

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 52

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What do you call someone who takes a photo from a site with a copyright , edits and then claims the photo to their citation ,? Thats exactly what you did. Your the one who trolled though large number of photos of apothecary weights until you found one you could use for your claim. Many weights on that site look like yours but you took the oldest one you could find and claimed WOW. Your one fine fellow . Good Bye

Tinpan could you possibly show me and the readership where in the link it says it's "copyrighted"?
Being a member of this club and viewing thousands of finds online, and in person over the past many years I have been lead to believe from the owner/ruler of this site/club that links are permissible as it only helps enhance the knowledge of the find, and the club.
To accuse the OP of this I have to wonder if "The kettle is indeed calling the pot black" in this case, as you yourself have post untold many photos in past threads/posts to enhance/embellish your finds.
So show me please where you are assured that "Copyrighted Material has been used without permission"
Here I'll give you the front page link of the site.
Findsindex

Sorry Scrappy for getting on the soap box and doing my rant on this subject, but it just peeves me to no end that this man from the down under has a problem with your great recoveries and a few other members on the forum lately. So I'll climb down now and crawl back also as I'm sure the rocks will be flying.:)

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Scrappy. That apothecary weight is really sweet. I might have not have recognized that as treasure. Nice save.

Best of luck to you buddy!

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve-- what awesome finds. We've never seen an apothecary weight. Very cool. -Lisa & John

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
sweet apothecary weight that double eagle is just around the corner

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tinpan could you possibly show me and the readership where in the link it says it's "copyrighted"?
Being a member of this club and viewing thousands of finds online, and in person over the past many years I have been lead to believe from the owner/ruler of this site/club that links are permissible as it only helps enhance the knowledge of the find, and the club.
To accuse the OP of this I have to wonder if "The kettle is indeed calling the pot black" in this case, as you yourself have post untold many photos in past threads/posts to enhance/embellish your finds.
So show me please where you are assured that "Copyrighted Material has been used without permission"
Here I'll give you the front page link of the site.
Findsindex

Sorry Scrappy for getting on the soap box and doing my rant on this subject, but it just peeves me to no end that this man from the down under has a problem with your great recoveries and a few other members on the forum lately. So I'll climb down now and crawl back also as I'm sure the rocks will be flying.:)

Hi Firstly the photo i am taking about is in the first thread and is the second photo used , the single apothecary weight with red back ground The photo came from a site called Apothecariesweights . com owned by David Coats and produced by Ben Nichols Copyright is in the bottom left corner. So how you thought i was talking about Colchester site got me. I regard to many of the black and white photos i use in posts come from old newspapers from the area . They are not subject to any copy right laws. So i have made all these remarks about many finds on treasurenet. How many hundreds or are just getting up. I have never used copyrighted materal from Canada or USA but theres different rules for other countries. This could have be resolved by a link to Apothocariesweights . Com. Go on go have look lots of apothecary weights to see even some which date to 1899 which resemble the find in question . Please read the research on the home page . I have never been afraid to post the whole history of the area i hunted and have also posted many hundreds of site pictures. For years many members of treasurenet did the same . No more only a handful do. Every thing some sort big secret these days. Just one other matter i been working on a project for 3 years and happen to to be reading the web site i have mentioned . Then saw the photo in question. By the nature of the way you just trashed me , i wonder how you would have reacted if you where in the position. I did try to tell several times in this post but you i was wasting my time. Some very self righteous folk on here. Tp One last question why was not link put in the first post?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Firstly the photo i am taking about is in the first thread and is the second photo used , the single apothecary weight with red back ground The photo came from a site called Apothecariesweights . com owned by David Coats and produced by Ben Nichols Copyright is in the bottom left corner. So how you thought i was talking about Colchester site got me. I regard to many of the black and white photos i use in posts come from old newspapers from the area . They are not subject to any copy right laws. So i have made all these remarks about many finds on treasurenet. How many hundreds or are just getting up. I have never used copyrighted materal from Canada or USA but theres different rules for other countries. This could have be resolved by a link to Apothocariesweights . Com. Go on go have look lots of apothecary weights to see even some which date to 1899 which resemble the find in question . Please read the research on the home page . I have never been afraid to post the whole history of the area i hunted and have also posted many hundreds of site pictures. For years many members of treasurenet did the same . No more only a handful do. Every thing some sort big secret these days. Just one other matter i been working on a project for 3 years and happen to to be reading the web site i have mentioned . Then saw the photo in question. By the nature of the way you just trashed me , i wonder how you would have reacted if you where in the position. I did try to tell several times in this post but you i was wasting my time. Some very self righteous folk on here. Tp One last question why was not link put in the first post?

Give it up bro. You're grasping and starting to look kind of ridiculous. Go write another essay saying "no you look ridiculous" in whiny 5-year old vernacular.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That weight (set) was probably very expensive when purchased. Hopefully it wasn't lost until after it was no longer in use. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions