Broke into the 1800s in a big way!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks,

Well, I had a free evening so I lined up some time to hit a few sites on my list. I struck out at the first 3 sites I tried. After an hour and a half of hitting a community center, a church, and a construction site I had no old coins and hardly any modern ones either.

I was legitimately close to calling it quits for the day but grabbed some dinner and recouped. I chatted with the neighbors and they said I'd be welcome to do a second pass of their little yard (where I found a merc and a few Wheaties last week).

While I was killing time waiting for them to open their back gate, I decided to take another spin around my own yard. I got a funky signal that was borderline penny and decided to dig. Well, I got down about 3" where it said it was and hadn't pulled it up yet. I figured it was just a big piece of copper junk which is why I was a little careless when digging down another couple inches.

I was shocked when this big green disk came out of the hole. I was thinking Token or something until I saw the bust on it. I kept wiping the dirt away and noticed it said "Queen Victoria" on the front and "One Cent" on the back. I did a little research and found that she only lived until 1901. "Cool!" I thought to myself, I found an 1800s Canadian large cent.

Only problem was, the back didn't match the back of Canadian large cents from that era. I kept wiping dirt away and finally got the date...1881! Wow! I've never found a single coin from the 1800s so that's a big leap back into the 19th century.

Well, the only other thing I could make out was "KON" on the back so I decided to let it sit in some lemon juice while I continued detecting. After letting it sit and cleaning it a bit I could finally make it all out "HONG KONG". "Holy Smokes!" I'm thinking to myself, always thought my first 1800s coin would be an Indian Head, this was quite the shock.

I hit my neighbors' yard for a while and it looks like the only decent thing I missed was a 1930-S wheatie. The junk jewelry came from their yard too.

I did a little more swinging in my own yard to round out the night and found this interesting button. Anyone ever see something like it? Looks like an Air Force button from WWII to me.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503028859.502973.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503028873.418119.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503028883.294506.jpg

Well, that's our hobby for you folks. A bad day can turn into a great day with one hole.

Happy hunting out there!

-Washingtonian

Last edited:
Upvote 20

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, and that is a US Army Air Corps collar disk, I think. Probably from World War II. Cool find. The coin is great too, it probably came over the border a long time ago. I love old finds like these.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your find of the day is that AAF collar disc, WWII, congrats on that and your other finds!

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing your finds and the inspiring story! Your Queen Vic coin is a terrific find and I know it must have been very exciting. Congrats to you! :occasion14:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck on breaking into the 1700's, 1600's, and 1500's :laughing9:. If only that coin could talk, and say how it got all the way over there. Congrats! :occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice hunt! :occasion14:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting