Day 3 at Cellar Hole: Silver, Copper, Buttons, Buckles and Civil War in 2 Hours!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I called my father and told him that I was going to the colonial cellar hole that I found. I was hoping for some buttons and maybe a coin if I was lucky. I went a few days ago for less than five minutes, found a button, but then got drenched by a severe downpour (and the rain was louder than my metal detector, which was more quiet from water around the speaker). Anyways, Dad went off the trail (a colonial road, abandoned around 1800, and used as a trail long after). I went next to the cellar hole. I pulled out a pewter button right after turning on the metal detector. Dad yells that he found a button with an anchor. Shortly after I found another button, and then another. My dad kept finding them too. Within half an hour we had a total of 5 buttons between us. I got a nice shallow signal, and dug up the chape from a shoe buckle. I also found a colonial trash pit, which I didn't have time to go through, which had a colonial iron spoon and butter knife. There was also a dandy button in it. I moved farther away from the cellar hole and found an interesting buckle, and an iron buckle. My dad came over yelling that he found a large cent on the trail, his first copper ever. Five minutes later he comes over again yelling that he found silver on the trail, an seated dime. I decided to go the other direction on the trail, and found a clad time and a shotgun shell. My dad's button is a Civil War navy button, the only military button found at any site I have been to. No battles were ever fought anywhere near where I was. Overall this was an extremely fun hunt, probably one of the most productive hunts ever.

DSC_0578.JPG DSC_0581.JPG DSC_0594.JPG DSC_0595.JPG DSC_0606.JPG DSC_0607.JPG DSC_0603.JPG DSC_0591.JPG DSC_0618.JPG DSC_0590.JPG DSC_0616.JPG DSC_0598.JPG

Upvote 43

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the info! The shoe buckle chape is older than I thought! At first I thought the site was abandoned closer to 1800, but now after finding newer things I am thinking 1850's. No maps, the oldest one being from the 1850's, show this road or homestead. I am guessing it was abandoned just prior to the map, perhaps the homestead a little bit before the road (1840's). There was a railroad right next to where I was detecting, I assume that the stuff from the late 1800's is from the railroad. I hope the stealth diggers don't get there, that would probably ruin my day :laughing7:. This is my second honeyhole since I began metal detecting, the first one lasted from 2014-2016 and produced around 100 buttons and 20 coppers. I hope this one is almost as good!

If you can find the drop off area where the railroad went through ,you could find some neat stuff ,like bail seals or tokens. If the railroad bed still has some ties,there could be spikes in them. Sometimes they're stamped,those can be collectable. Good luck out there

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cellar holes, the only one I'm going to find where I live, is if I dig one myself.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I looked at there Youtube page just now! Fun to watch, but being an NHer, I think that they might be hurting the hobby for everyone else in Western NH by cleaning out around 200 colonial cellar holes in the area. Most guys on here spend a lot of time just cleaning out one place, then moving on to the next. It seems like they clean a place in a day, and move to a new place the next day. I hope they don't do anything around here :laughing7:.

A place could never be cleared out in a day, much less even properly cherry picked on that time. I make regular work of sites that are considered "hammered". That said, it's tough to watch it happen so I completely understand the feeling. Just imagining what was at these sites can keep me up at night. Lol

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great hunt and a good time to remember hunting with your Dad! Thanks for sharing your interesting finds. I was surprised to see how clear the large cent was!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a very productive hunt for sure! Congrats on the finds! I hope it works well for you both!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some great finds! Great detail on that large cent!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread