A Visit to Tacoma with My Brother

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey all!

Hope you've had a great weekend. My brother and I made the hour journey to Tacoma to check out a few older homes today in search of silver. My friend buys, renovates and sells houses for a living and gave us the green light to check a couple of his houses out.

The first was built in 1905 so we had high hopes. On my first dig I noticed the plastic webbing that goes with sod which was ominous. We spent 30 minutes there hitting the yard, sidewalk strips and median and couldn't turn up even a wheatie. We went to a nearby park and ruled that out after 15 minutes as well. We had noticed an old house with a big lot a couple blocks from where we were so I knocked to ask permission and no one answered. Oh well.

Onto the next house. This one was built in 1943. First dig, more plastic webbing. We spent 30 minutes here before giving up. We hit McDonald's to recuperate and my friend sent me a couple more addresses.

The first house didn't have a yard but the second house looked promising. It was built in 1950 so not too old but at least there is a possibility of finding one of those elusive Washington silvers. My brother got started right away and his second dig was a wheat penny. "Right on" we thought, "there's still hope for the day yet". Well, we posted up there for a few hours and most of my finds from today came from there. My best finds were:

-2 wheats (42-D, 53-D)
-An old lock with a symbol of crossing cannons that reads "Ordinance Department U.S.A.".
-This tag with the name Frances Zehnder and a Tacoma address. Does anyone know what this is? It is not the address that I was at when I found it. My brother found the exact same tag with a different name.
-What looks like a little case for a personal mirror. It had some broken shards of what looked like glass in it when I unearthed it.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505090199.019918.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505090211.347995.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505090221.448671.jpg

That brings me to my favorite find of the day. A month ago I got an "88" signal on my detector that is usually a telltale sign for a silver quarter. Problem is that it was basically in the rootball of a big tree. I spent probably 30 minutes on it when I first found it and couldn't dig around to get it.

I went back with a sawzall a couple weeks ago, woke up the whole neighborhood, spent 45 minutes cutting and still couldn't get it.

So, it was time to get serious. I bought a hatchet and went back. 20 minutes of chopping rewarded me with a surprise. My hands went numb and I got plenty of weird looks, but I found this old military button! My best guess is that it's an army button off a coat from WWI. Can anyone confirm that? I believe the back says "Scoville LTD Co Waterbury".

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505090456.726682.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505090466.012080.jpg

Here's the scene of the crime:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505090538.504429.jpg

That's it for me folks. Happy hunting out there!

-Washingtonian

Upvote 10

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta' say you are darned persistent!:icon_thumleft: Nice button for your labors. Cool old lock. I reckon you can track down the person on the tag. I may be weird but, the little "baby" is creepy to me!:o:laughing7:

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those address tags are an early form of credit card

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grand hunt!

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt...I think a military button is a scarce find for Washington State, I'd sure like to know more about it.
That is definitely a Washington State patina on the button too. I'd would clean that sparingly! So cool...

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some nice finds.
I'm the same way. If I get a nice signal under a tree root,, I have to find out what it is. I have gone back with the right tool on numerous occasions.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I gotta' say you are darned persistent!:icon_thumleft: Nice button for your labors. Cool old lock. I reckon you can track down the person on the tag. I may be weird but, the little "baby" is creepy to me!:o:laughing7:

The baby is creepy for sure. I found that the woman on the tag passed away 14 years ago but still has some descendents in my area. I'm going to try and track them down.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Great hunt...I think a military button is a scarce find for Washington State, I'd sure like to know more about it.
That is definitely a Washington State patina on the button too. I'd would clean that sparingly! So cool...

Thanks highnam! I love the support from the local folks. Hope you're doing well!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread