Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: First for me; 1787 Connecticut copper!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Max

Aug 2016
    Upstate, NY
    993 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

First for me; 1787 Connecticut copper!

I thought it was a KGII when it came out of the ground, but it looked to be in decent shape so I didn't do any field cleaning and just popped it in the holder for safekeeping. Good thing I did; after a light rinse it was clear the lettering was wrong for a King George and instead goes to an 1787 Connecticut copper! This is my first verified one, but I have a toasted disk that could theoretically be a Conn copper too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02915.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	4.07 MB 
ID:	1494070Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02918.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	1494071Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02920.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	1494072

All things considered the obverse is in decent shape with the majority of the lettering legible and some of the details intact. The reverse is in much worse shape, but the date is there so not a total loss.

I could use your help on nailing down the variety; I poked through the image database for this year and Miller 46-BB looked the closest due to the four-pointed stars and the size/positioning of the lettering, but that's a rare variety so I don't want to get my hopes up. Any experts please chime in!

This was the third hole dug and oddly this was the only old piece to come out of the yard today; the next oldest find was a 1955 wheat! Funny how those things go sometimes.

us
    Kim

Jul 2017
    RI
    White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pinpointer, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
    997 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Wowie! That's wonderful! Congratulations.
    The detector is my stethoscope to the earth, discovering the heartbeat of the past, to breathe new life into artifacts for us and the future.....

wow, totally awesome! congrats on the wonderful first! really cool too, something that a guy like me has no hope of ever finding but I am very happy for you
    Kurios1 and paleomaxx like this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

ca
    Feb 2017
    XP DEUS X terra 705 Fisher F2
    1010 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Doesn't get better than that.
    Congrats
    To Dig or not to Dig

us
    Max

Aug 2016
    Upstate, NY
    993 times
    Thank you so much! Even if it's a common variety; state copper coins are always near the top of the wish list when I flip over a plug!

May 2016
    vermont
    fisher gold bug at pro
    710 times
    Congrats on a first

Charter Member
    us
    Kevin

Feb 2017
    FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
    Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
    5040 times
    Well done on scoring a first Connecticut Copper! So cool to get those old coins out east. Hoping you got the unique variety.
    “This Is My Creed I believe first in God, the same God in which my ancestors believed. I believe in Jesus Christ and that he is my saviour. Second, I believe in the Constitution of the Republic of the United States of America, without interpretation, as it was written and meant to work. I have given my sacred oath “to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies foreign and domestic.” I intend to fulfill that oath. Third, I believe in the family unit and, in particular, my family unit. I have sworn that I will give my life, if it is required, in defense of God, the Constitution, or my family. Fourth, I believe that any man without principles that he is ready and willing to die for at any given moment is already dead and is of no use or consequence whatsoever. William Cooper August 3, 1990”
    ― Milton William Cooper, Behold a Pale Horse

I think you are right on variety, only it's very rare, and not rare. The one way to sort of proof check it is if you can find a pic of Miller 56-BB. It's the only coin that shares an obverse, and I assume you could quickly rule it out as not being yours by the reverse. The reason it's sort of a check is because it would be hard to imagine there would be another CT besides it that could be such an accurate match for your coin. So I think it looks good you have a very rare find.

us
    Dec 2006
    NEPA
    Tejon, Cibola, T2
    497 times
    It does appear to be a 46 BB which is I believe a rarity 5. Pretty nice detail as well for a dug coin.
    Z.K. likes this.

us
    Do not forget me 24601

Oct 2011
    Indiana
    Bounty Hunter Mark IV Garrett Ace 350 Garrett Carrot
    2716 times
    Metal Detecting
    Happy day.

Feb 2009
    5669 times
    Congrats on the Conn. copper its beauty. Hope IP is correct in the ID as well and it's a very rare one.

us
    Mar 2003
    Illinois / Oklahoma
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro - Fisher CZ 5
    4717 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Congrats on a great old copper.

Charter Member
    us
    art

Dec 2015
    Maryland's eastern shore
    whites MXTPro whites MXSport
    12355 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Congrats on the nice old copper
    Growing old is not for sissies I thought it would take longer to get old.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    1672 times
    awesome old coin!

us
    Max

Aug 2016
    Upstate, NY
    993 times
    I think you are right on variety, only it's very rare, and not rare. The one way to sort of proof check it is if you can find a pic of Miller 56-BB. It's the only coin that shares an obverse, and I assume you could quickly rule it out as not being yours by the reverse. The reason it's sort of a check is because it would be hard to imagine there would be another CT besides it that could be such an accurate match for your coin. So I think it looks good you have a very rare find.
    That's great to hear! I've been poking around google looking for an image of a 56-BB, but no luck so far. It's crazy to think there might be only 13-30 of these floating around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links