1795 Silver Button found with Hogge

Digginitrtb2

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg Button was found yesterday. Have been a member as "digginitrtb" for years. Had to change to digginitrtb2., as I forgot password.LOL. As in hogge posting..... help is needed on this. We think it has something to do with Freemasons. Nice early relic.

Upvote 33

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
That is the best colonial period button that I've seen posted. I hope our highly skilled members here can research the history and meaning of it. You should see if the moderators can reset your password for your original username. This find is clearly banner worthy and it would be a shame if it didn't make the banner on a minor technicality about new members not qualifying.

OP
OP
D

Digginitrtb2

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a few silver buttons over the years but I knew it had it be special at one time as so as I dug it up. As for being a new member I'm not but over time I've got a new email address and don't remember the one I used for this site. For years I've been a member as diggingitrtb. Thanks

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said on the other post, I believe it was made from a blank silver coin.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Special special find! When I see a fun and the first thing that comes to mind is something along these lines...."I haven't seen one of those before and likely won't see another for a very very long time" I know it's a killer find. I am in love with old hand etched silver. It's normally cufflinks but this button is gorgeous and the inscription is perfect. It's an easy BANNER bot from me. That's quite a site you fellas have found. I hope the great finds keep coming for you both

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your stellar find.

Hope you can work with admin to integrate your old ID, and maybe migrate the info from Hogge's post into this.

Looking forward to supporting your find with a banner vote once things are sorted.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly a BANNER find. As other's have mentioned let's hope the admins & mods can get your old account reactivated so you can get this extremely rare button up top on the BANNER where it so righteously belongs. Keep that button stashed away as there might be some Jesuit assassins looking for it!:o::)

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This find is totally out of this world! Absolutely amazing and banner worthy. The quality of the item and the mystery surrounding the etching is incredible.
I believe those letters also represent ancient Greek numerals 500 - 30 - 200

Could also be graduation button for Foreign Literature Studies (Phi, Lambda and Sigma).

In any case...what a find! Big congratulations!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theta Alpha Sigma? if they read left to right. man, that is an incredibly sweet find. congrats!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one seriously cool button, banner for sure!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THAT AINT NO DANG BUTTON .THATS ONE HELLUVA BUTTON ,ID SAY.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a lot of sharp people on this site. We are hoping someone can pinpoint exactly what this could have been for. Although we may never know. Some great insight already! Keep goin' guys! Trying to research but not coming up with anything other than what has been posted.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a lot of sharp people on this site. We are hoping someone can pinpoint exactly what this could have been for. Although we may never know. Some great insight already! Keep goin' guys! Trying to research but not coming up with anything other than what has been posted.
This 'one off' or maybe part of a set, was made out of a blank silver disc, & not in the usual way a button is done. If its not a smooth coin, which would be the easiest method & one I have seen before which includes polishing it off before inscribing it, then its still an amateur attempt. A very interesting & historic one, but not one you will pin to a maker. So, the letter & date combination is your best avenue of research but it's a long shot, which I hope someone pulls off. Good luck.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Very intriguing. I have little knowledge on a possible link to an early fraternity. I would certainly pursue a lot research on this particular find and recommend you contact Robert Silverstein via his website on early buttons - GWI, early patriotic, diplomatic, military, etc. He had expanded his website considerably and his cataloguing is very impressive. Perhaps he can be of assistance on possible significance of this unusual find. Regardless of what is determined, you have a quality find. Congrats. :hello2: I hope they everybody could get on one thread to follow the search for information on your button. We all need to be on the same sheet of music.

http://http://www.georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com/

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Very intriguing. I have little knowledge on a possible link to an early fraternity. I would certainly pursue a lot research on this particular find and recommend you contact Robert Silverstein via his website on early buttons - GWI, early patriotic, diplomatic, military, etc. He had expanded his website considerably and his cataloguing is very impressive. Perhaps he can be of assistance on possible significance of this unusual find. Regardless of what is determined, you have a quality find. Congrats. :hello2: I hope they everybody could get on one thread to follow the search for information on your button. We all need to be on the same sheet of music.

http://http://www.georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com/
sent him a message with pics. We'll see what he says. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions