Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably should have titled this, check out your finds right away, dummy. But I wander away from the point. I went to the beach...again...went over some of the old places I normally detect...again...I watch where the crowds go, where the "events" are held, etc. and then go behind them to see what they lose.

Well, this was a pretty usual day. The sweeper had been there but after the 3rd sinker or so and the 3rd or so pulltab, finally started finding individual coins. Most of the coins were older, you can tell by the pics, and by older I mean they were corroded. Did find a recently dropped 1939 Lincoln. Interesting. Weather was perfect, so I figured I'd go down to the FAR end of the beach where I only go once or twice a year.

As I was starting down to that point, I found a coin spill, or something similar. About 8 coins in a 10' x 10' area, mostly new drops. And found a golden colored arcade token, the kind with eagle on it. It was with two shiny pennies and a quarter in the scoop so I didn't take a second glance at the "token" until I had gotten home.

In the meantime, In the pouch with the "token", go the sinkers, fishhooks, pulltabs, bottle caps, and a total of 35 coins, sunglasses, ad nauseum.

Late in the hunt, I decided to "tune up" the Deus to "kill" mode. I was detecting "dry beach" at a frequency of 14.4 and bumped it to 28.8. Picked up some tiny split shot and broken barrell swivels. All go in the pouch with the POS golden "token".

About 50 feet later I got a decent but deep signal. I dig it, and the dumb thing slips through the holes in the scoop. It was the top half of a 14k gold ring. Half? Come on already! Well, here's the picture. IMG_0463.JPG

I now go back to where the fishermen spend a lot of time, and sinker heaven awaits me. Yes, the meat of the story is coming! I found more sinkers and HALF of a man's tungsten ring! Come on! Half! It's on the left top of this picture. Also pictured is my loose screw. View attachment IMG_0466.jpg

So I keep digging but the cat's getting tired. Here's some of the stuff. IMG_0467.jpg IMG_0465.jpg

So, on the way back I dig out the 14k ring and drop it at the jewelers. It is 14k, not worth much of anything but I'm having it restored JUST BECAUSE. Having a red garnet set in it. I'll have it back in about two weeks. They must have thought I was nuts, but did learn one thing - tungsten rings, while tough, are brittle and will easily break in half.

THEN, I finally get home and start sorting. I set aside the driftwood and the seaglass, and chuck out the aluminum cans, the plastic lures, the sunglasses, the swimming goggles and dump out, actually, unceremoniously dump out the coins and the "golden token".

Then I got my glasses out. Note to self: do not assume you have an arcade token when you detect a gold colored coin, and TAKE YOUR GLASSES WITH YOU WHEN YOU DETECT. The token DID feel kind of heavy. Not corroded either. So, FINALLY with the glasses on I actually LOOK at the thing. It is a 1905 $5 US gold coin. I think I almost needed to change my clothes. And it looks like it was lost YESTERDAY, IF that long ago. And on the beach?

At this point I'm having a fit. THE BEACH? Now it is scratched up quite a bit, has it's share of dings and scratched and worn flat spots on it. But the BEACH?????

Best assumption is someone had this in a screw closure pendant and the thing came out. Very recently, or I or someone else would have found it last weekend when there were several of us detecting that stretch of beach.

So I had a cow. A BIG cow. Upon close examination I can see some damage around the rim, like it was clamped in one of those little screw coin clamps.

I am still playing with it. While this is my first US gold coin, it is my third gold coin found since 2013. I dig a LOT.

First gold coin was a 1774 English Gold Guinea found at Coin Beach, Delaware after Hurricane Sandy in 2013. It was ON TOP of the sand.

Second was the ugliest thing ever. A 1945 Mexican coin found on another beach in 2016.

I think you're supposed to find gold coins in the DIRT. I do dig a lot of historic sites, but can't seem to find many coins there with the exception of English and early American coppers, but no state coppers except one Virginia Halfpenny found a very, very long time ago. Well, for me, it's a sandy kind of deal.

I'm not excited but almost forgot to post the picture of the coin! The thing is in amazing condition. I don't think the picture shows it well, but there are worn high spots, especially on the face, looks like someone liked to rub it, best guess. IMG_0460.jpg View attachment IMG_0459.jpg

Upvote 155
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all. I have no idea of the value, however, I can assure you if my kids don't get it, the thing will next be available at my estate sale, whenever that is. I don't sell my stuff, now, if I found a rare whatever, worth a zillion, that, I might sell. I have purchased two gold coins over the years, figured I'd never find one, but both i purchased were already slabbed, as I don't know squat about them, and didn't want to get ripped off. Now finding stuff on the BEACH, I dig the dry sand and am so hard headed I just get stuff. Most guys around here are in the water. They have been leaving a lot for me.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ministerially speaking, that did not suck....

Great story, and GREAT FIND!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it didn't suck, but that Deus on frequency of 28.8 sure does.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always pays to take a look at your finds twice, even what you might think of as trash. Your "golden token" is a perfect example. Happy for you in finding the awesome gold coin.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you thought you had a "token"....:laughing7:
What a surprise!!! Great find for sure...congratulations!!!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, She is a beauty!!!! Big Congrats!!!!!!!:occasion14:

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's amazing,stunning,fantastic you seem to be having an outstanding year congratulations,Gold coin holy crap

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Gold coin...Congrats and enjoy the hunt for years to come...very nice keeper..wow!!!

Banner !!

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting gear. Reading glasses, can't see a thing up close without 'em. Great find Smokey, I am STILL waiting for a gold coin, but it's only been 30 years detecting.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I just voted BANNER myself. It's not up top yet at this point, but deserves to be.

Congratulations!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright smokey !!!! Great work getting a great coin. Wow ! One day ill get my first gold coin.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
That is a wonderful find ! It is the kind of treasure we all look for, but very few of us find. If you are convinced it is a recent drop, then what "dirtdigginfool" suggested would be most likely. You could shop for a gold bezel and chain and wear that beutiful half eagle as jewelry. You might have to spend some bucks to get that ring restored. It looked like originally it was a nice heavy gold ring that got mower whacked. I'd like to know what the band repair would cost, if you would care to tell about it. The reason I am asking is that I have a couple of nice old rings from the family that need restored. I don't mind paying a fair price for services rendered, but it seems like " they see me coming ". I usually end up paying too much. It gets a little tiring.
I'd like to see that coin up on the Banner Finds scroll, so my vote is in for that. You have had a very productive year Smokey. I hope your good luck continues !

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning Wagbert. I'm off to work soon, but the repair for the gold ring is over $300. The ring is not worth that much, but I like "fixing" stuff. I could buy a new ring cheaper but what fun would that be. I'll post a pic when it's complete. Might put it in its own thread with the before and after. Once upon a time ago I could have done the work myself, but the fumes get me now, can't see as well and really think it would look like a 2 year old would have done the repair IF I didn't melt it in the first place.

I am definitely NOT putting a bezel on it and wearing it. Somebody ELSE may get it that way. I wear a nice, heavy school ring, and when I get out of the truck to detect, it stays IN the truck!

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first gold coin. I'm glad it wasnt a token for your sake !

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other