ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a few hours after chores yesterday and decided to maximize my hunting time. There is a strip of grass next to the community pool in my neighborhood. It is about 25 yards wide and 200 yards long. The POA holds a 4th of July party there every year, with inflatables and climbing walls for the kids, grilled goodies for all and adult beverages for those that care to imbibe. To me, that is the recipe for lost items. It is a very picturesque area and wedding ceremonies are held there also. Again, more drinking, dancing, and general cavorting.

I have hunted this strip a couple of times before and found a small amount of clad, some lead sinkers (the strip of grass juts into a lake) and lots of scrap aluminum. So, I pick up at the spot I stopped hunting last time I was there and the finds are few and far between. I am averaging one item per trip across the strip. After 2+ hours of hunting with the sun going down and three memorials to show for my effort, I get a weak signal that is barely repeatable. I am almost done with what I determine my last trip across the peninsula and decide "What the hell?...Might as well dig it." I pinpoint it with my machine, squat down, and break out my pinpointer. It is then that I notice there is a hole where the signal is coming from. It looks like a very large tent stake had been driven into the ground at that point (a clump of grass was covering the hole). I stick the pinpointed into the hole and figure out the item is almost 8 inches down. A couple attempts to dig the item out and I have a signal in my hand. I see this tiny piece of aluminum in my hand with some kind of writing on it. I figure its a button lost off of a kids clothing item or something like that. I noticed writing on both sides, not a button. I am a bit far sighted and in the fading light it takes me a while to recognize the pattern on one side. "Holy Sh__!" It looks like writing on the back of a Seated Liberty Dime. I just about soiled myself.

My mind is racing on the walk back to my truck and on the drive home. Where did it come from? My neighborhood is about 40 years old. My best guess is that the coin arrived in fill dirt that was brought in to make the strip of land I was standing on.

I get home and run the coin under some cold water and brush the dirt off with a soft bristle tooth brush. It cleans up nicely. Break out a magnifying glass and look at the date. Another "Holy Sh__!" 1845!!!! The oldest coin I have found by 122 years! Previous best was a 1967 Kennedy Half that I found in June. Flip the coin over and I get another surprise. The print on the back reads "Half Dime". That explains why it is so small.

1845 Half Dime in beautiful shape. 172 years old. Bucket Lister for sure. My wife asked me "Are you gonna sell it?"

I kept looking at it and discovered a small nick in the reeded edge on one side. I'm not sure if I hit it with my Lesche or someone hit it with the tent stake, but either way it is still beautiful.

Only my second silver and it is a keeper for sure.

I guess my new motto is "Metal Detecting is like a box of chocolates....You never know what you are gonna get."

Thanks for looking and HH!

1845 Half Dime Front2.jpg 1845 Half Dime Back2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 59

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your tenacity to dig that low target dense area. :occasion14: Wow that's a great find, a bucket list find for sure. :headbang: I'm still looking for my 1st seated half dime. Welcome to the seated club. :notworthy: I pulled my 1st seated from and old yard that had been hit by 5 others before me (according to the owner). Mine was pulled from near the house where shrubs had been recently removed. It was an 1875 dime.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your oldest silver, and a beautiful looking Half Dime. Always expect the unexpected in this hobby. I was once hunting a very small beach at a local beach club. 2 or 3 people came along, and informed me that there are always others in there with metal detectors. I'm figuring its a wasted outing but kept on about my detecting. Imagine my surprise when I pulled 4 Merc dimes and 2 silver Washingtons from the sand ! These should have easily been found by the others. It turns out, that I was talking to another man at the end of my outing and he said they had just hauled new sand in for the beach the day before. Guess some of it is all about timing ! Always press on.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on getting your oldest silver.
Ah the ol' familiar sounding phrase "Are you going to sell it" goes with " I have or had a Half Dime" when talking about the finds or collection years down the road.

OP
OP
L

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
L

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting your oldest silver.
Ah the ol' familiar sounding phrase "Are you going to sell it" goes with " I have or had a Half Dime" when talking about the finds or collection years down the road.

Not gonna sell it. Considering getting it slabbed. Not sure if it is worth it, monetarily speaking. Definitely worth it, sentimentally.

OP
OP
L

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your tenacity to dig that low target dense area. :occasion14: Wow that's a great find, a bucket list find for sure. :headbang: I'm still looking for my 1st seated half dime. Welcome to the seated club. :notworthy: I pulled my 1st seated from and old yard that had been hit by 5 others before me (according to the owner). Mine was pulled from near the house where shrubs had been recently removed. It was an 1875 dime.

Thanks a lot for the Seated Club Membership. Now I guess I have to go for full membership and get one of each seated coin type. Looks like I am going to have to start all over and dig some of those intermittent signals that I passed on.

OP
OP
L

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your oldest silver, and a beautiful looking Half Dime. Always expect the unexpected in this hobby. I was once hunting a very small beach at a local beach club. 2 or 3 people came along, and informed me that there are always others in there with metal detectors. I'm figuring its a wasted outing but kept on about my detecting. Imagine my surprise when I pulled 4 Merc dimes and 2 silver Washingtons from the sand ! These should have easily been found by the others. It turns out, that I was talking to another man at the end of my outing and he said they had just hauled new sand in for the beach the day before. Guess some of it is all about timing ! Always press on.

Thank you. It just seems SOOOO out of place. That area has produced no mercs, wheaties, buffaloes, GW, or anything of value other than a few dollars worth of modern clad. It has got my head spinning with possibilities.

OP
OP
L

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous Seated Liberty Half Dime and YES I am jealous as HECK! Been searching nine years for this coin. You are blessed to have one trucked in perhaps to your neighborhood. LOL! I have traveled 1000's of miles looking for mine! Ha Ha! Great score mate.:headbang:

Thank you, but I am sure you have some finds that would make me want to quit my job and metal detect full time.

OP
OP
L

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a whole bunch of Half Dimes being found.
Congratulations on one sweet silver.

Thank you. I didn't even know there was such a thing. I had seen dimes and quarters on TNET, but my knowledge was more focused on coins from the 1900's. I never even dreamed that I would find a coin from the 1800's.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks a lot for the Seated Club Membership. Now I guess I have to go for full membership and get one of each seated coin type. Looks like I am going to have to start all over and dig some of those intermittent signals that I passed on.

Good luck with that, I dug that seated dime a few months into the hobby back in 2014 and finally pulled my 2nd seated a few weeks ago. They are as scarce as hen's teeth in many areas.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on an awesome find! :occasion14:
Great story. Ya never know till you dig it. Still looking for a seated... someday.

OP
OP
L

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love your story, and especially your use of the word " cavorting"... Congrats on one beautiful half dime! That is some sweet old silver!

Thanks! I envision characters like those in the movie "Wedding Crashers" when I think about the receptions held there.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't how I missed this post, but that's one sweet little coin you got there!

Note: I have NO seated coins... got capped & Spanish, but no seated.

You are killing me.

Best to you sir.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome coin
Congrats

OP
OP
L

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't how I missed this post, but that's one sweet little coin you got there!

Note: I have NO seated coins... got capped & Spanish, but no seated.

You are killing me.

Best to you sir.

I only have 2 silver coins in my finds pouch. You, on the other hand, usually find two getting out of bed every day. lol. Silver Coin Fiend is an apt moniker.

Any seated coins in the hunt on November 4?

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I only have 2 silver coins in my finds pouch. You, on the other hand, usually find two getting out of bed every day. lol. Silver Coin Fiend is an apt moniker.

Any seated coins in the hunt on November 4?[/QUO

I do know that there is at least one half dime getting put out... the guy that got the coins bought fewer in quantity and better quality and variety.

I only have a few silvers, but I talk about them a lot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions