ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a few hours after chores yesterday and decided to maximize my hunting time. There is a strip of grass next to the community pool in my neighborhood. It is about 25 yards wide and 200 yards long. The POA holds a 4th of July party there every year, with inflatables and climbing walls for the kids, grilled goodies for all and adult beverages for those that care to imbibe. To me, that is the recipe for lost items. It is a very picturesque area and wedding ceremonies are held there also. Again, more drinking, dancing, and general cavorting.

I have hunted this strip a couple of times before and found a small amount of clad, some lead sinkers (the strip of grass juts into a lake) and lots of scrap aluminum. So, I pick up at the spot I stopped hunting last time I was there and the finds are few and far between. I am averaging one item per trip across the strip. After 2+ hours of hunting with the sun going down and three memorials to show for my effort, I get a weak signal that is barely repeatable. I am almost done with what I determine my last trip across the peninsula and decide "What the hell?...Might as well dig it." I pinpoint it with my machine, squat down, and break out my pinpointer. It is then that I notice there is a hole where the signal is coming from. It looks like a very large tent stake had been driven into the ground at that point (a clump of grass was covering the hole). I stick the pinpointed into the hole and figure out the item is almost 8 inches down. A couple attempts to dig the item out and I have a signal in my hand. I see this tiny piece of aluminum in my hand with some kind of writing on it. I figure its a button lost off of a kids clothing item or something like that. I noticed writing on both sides, not a button. I am a bit far sighted and in the fading light it takes me a while to recognize the pattern on one side. "Holy Sh__!" It looks like writing on the back of a Seated Liberty Dime. I just about soiled myself.

My mind is racing on the walk back to my truck and on the drive home. Where did it come from? My neighborhood is about 40 years old. My best guess is that the coin arrived in fill dirt that was brought in to make the strip of land I was standing on.

I get home and run the coin under some cold water and brush the dirt off with a soft bristle tooth brush. It cleans up nicely. Break out a magnifying glass and look at the date. Another "Holy Sh__!" 1845!!!! The oldest coin I have found by 122 years! Previous best was a 1967 Kennedy Half that I found in June. Flip the coin over and I get another surprise. The print on the back reads "Half Dime". That explains why it is so small.

1845 Half Dime in beautiful shape. 172 years old. Bucket Lister for sure. My wife asked me "Are you gonna sell it?"

I kept looking at it and discovered a small nick in the reeded edge on one side. I'm not sure if I hit it with my Lesche or someone hit it with the tent stake, but either way it is still beautiful.

Only my second silver and it is a keeper for sure.

I guess my new motto is "Metal Detecting is like a box of chocolates....You never know what you are gonna get."

Thanks for looking and HH!

1845 Half Dime Front2.jpg 1845 Half Dime Back2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 59

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice congrats

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, that is awesome! Congrats on a great save!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on the beautiful seated half dime. A keeper for sure. Mrs. Gump was absolutely right.,

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beauty , even with the nick on the rim.
Usually if it's more shiny than the rest of the coin, 'it's a recent mark'.

Either way it's always fun figuring how it got there , imo it was only in circulation a couple /few years before being lost ; if that.
WTG Banner in my Book.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I SAID THE SAME THING WHEN I GOT MARRIED. NICE FINDS

OP
OP
L

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beauty , even with the nick on the rim.
Usually if it's more shiny than the rest of the coin, 'it's a recent mark'.

Either way it's always fun figuring how it got there , imo it was only in circulation a couple /few years before being lost ; if that.
WTG Banner in my Book.

The nick is shiny, but it is also tiny.

I was thinking it may have been brought in with fill dirt to build that peninsula. But there are also a number of Civil War graves within a 10 mile radius, so maybe that could be a source. Either way, it is a fun exercise to think of all the ways it could have ended up there.

Thank you for the banner nomination. Making the banner would be awesome!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love your story, and especially your use of the word " cavorting"... Congrats on one beautiful half dime! That is some sweet old silver!

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gorgeous coin. Well done, Sir.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread