🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSCN3998.jpg

In the interest of honesty and full-disclosure - I was NOT present for the hunt, but Digging Buddy is not on T-Net, and I thought you guys would enjoy this. He's been hunting an area that has been heavily developed, lots of topsoil moved around over the years - but was home to some heavy bombardment back in the CW. The above Reed shell was one of two found 20 feet apart, but they were different. This one has a wooden and paper fuse, and of course, will be diffused.

DSCN3996.jpg

DSCN3997.jpg

Next was a ground burst Braun shell. For those unfamiliar, a ground burst is when a fuse burned too long, the shell or cannonball hit the ground and buried itself, and THEN it exploded. Often you can find most or even all of the pieces. This Braun was recovered, and glued back together with everything but the base being found.

DSCN3989.jpg

DSCN3987.jpg

DSCN3988.jpg

But the last one is the one that blows my mind! This was a 150 or 200 pound mortar. It too, was a ground-burst. Look at the SIZE of these frags!

DSCN3991.jpg

It was wooden-fused, and he has cleaned the three frags around the fuse. he plans to attempt to put this one back together as well, but he estimates he only has about 50% of the ball.

DSCN3990.jpg

Again, NOT MY FIND but sure inspiring . . . !

Upvote 12

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1505268

In the interest of honesty and full-disclosure - I was NOT present for the hunt, but Digging Buddy is not on T-Net, and I thought you guys would enjoy this. He's been hunting an area that has been heavily developed, lots of topsoil moved around over the years - but was home to some heavy bombardment back in the CW. The above Reed shell was one of two found 20 feet apart, but they were different. This one has a wooden and paper fuse, and of course, will be diffused.

View attachment 1505283

View attachment 1505284

Next was a ground burst Braun shell. For those unfamiliar, a ground burst is when a fuse burned too long, the shell or cannonball hit the ground and buried itself, and THEN it exploded. Often you can find most or even all of the pieces. This Braun was recovered, and glued back together with everything but the base being found.

View attachment 1505290

View attachment 1505291

View attachment 1505293

But the last one is the one that blows my mind! This was a 150 or 200 pound mortar. It too, was a ground-burst. Look at the SIZE of these frags!

View attachment 1505294

It was wooden-fused, and he has cleaned the three frags around the fuse. he plans to attempt to put this one back together as well, but he estimates he only has about 50% of the ball.

View attachment 1505295

Again, NOT MY FIND but sure inspiring . . . !

Very Cool parsonwalker, that 'mortar' is the Bomb.
a nice put together of the GB.

The other Complete shells are beautiful (in their own way), Surprised the Wood looks that good.
Thanks for posting.
Davers

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great work! Give him my congratulations, and sign him up to t-net.
A guy like that should be a member.

HH, RN

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No matter who found it....Thanks for sharing! Very cool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread