A nice hunt in Virginia with 18 Wheats and 3 silver dimes

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to get a hunt in while we vacationed in Virginia for 4 days. The friends we stayed with built a home on a lot bought off of a farm and the owner of the farm gave me permission to hunt around the 125 year old farmhouse. It did not appear to have been hunted before as I dug 18 Wheats from the 50's and 40's, and three silver dimes, 51 Rosie, 37 Merc, 43 Merc. I also dug a crucifix that appears to have been gold plated over copper. IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0006.JPG The hunt only took about 3 1/2 hours and because of time restraints I kind of cherry picked. If I would have had more time I would have dug many of the iffy signals. Still I am very happy with the results. Maybe another trip down will be in order in the future. I also found a pile of clad and included the pile of junk dug to show the reality of digging. The Wheats were shown as dug, but then the dimes were shown before and after cleaning. Happy hunting and thanks for looking. IMG_0001.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 18

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was 3 1/3 hours well spent, Congrats on pulling the 3 silvers & other keepers.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was 3 1/3 hours well spent, Congrats on pulling the 3 silvers & other keepers.

It was refreshing to have a hunt that hasn't been pounded to death before. There is a lot of potential in the location we were at with friends in Virginia. Our friends said they have never seen anyone detecting around their location. I saw a lot of old abandoned homes and old buildings driving through there.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had to cherry pick due to time constraints. What a site you had there......awesome haul of coins!!
Great hunt...I know it had to have been a lot of fun.:icon_thumright:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt! Looks like you got through one layer of history. I'd bet there's a whole other century of coins in there too!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would have used a crow bar to get me away from that site. lol
Really sweet hunt,, congratulations on the Silver.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done sir, congrats.

It's always nice to detect on vacation, and even better when you find something!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions