Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: CIVIL WAR HUT SITE w/buttons, glass, 249 BULLET DAY and more!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2010
    Greenwood, S.C.
    White's XLT, MXT, TDI Fisher F75 Garrett AT Pro Minelab GPX 5000, Explorer SE Shadow X5
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    It would have been nice if you could have sifted the spoils pile. If time permits that's what I always do on a good pit / hut as you have found. MY opinion is the bullets got wet and they just threw them away and buried them so the other side could not retrieve them and re-melt them down to their caliper of gun they had. Could it have been a trash pit instead? With all the various finds in the one hole makes a person think. I would defiantly spend more time in that area with a probe or just dig some random test holes to the depth that you started to see ash.
    Great finds and certainly worth a banner title.
    The Rebel likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2009
    1281 times
    Im curious about what else is around. Hoping there are more banner finds from the area.

de
    Aug 2014
    Bavaria, Germany
    Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
    420 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Congrats on the killer find. Nice determination

Mar 2007
    Jefferson City, MO
    Minelab CTX, GPX 4500, XP Deus, and an ACE 250 for my friends...
    145 times
    Killer save! That is a day you'll never forget...
    Forgiveness is twice as easy to get as permission...

us
    Feb 2013
    Virginia
    Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s) Metrotech (In the 70s) Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
    2096 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem / South Carolina View Post
    It would have been nice if you could have sifted the spoils pile. If time permits that's what I always do on a good pit / hut as you have found. MY opinion is the bullets got wet and they just threw them away and buried them so the other side could not retrieve them and re-melt them down to their caliper of gun they had. Could it have been a trash pit instead? With all the various finds in the one hole makes a person think. I would defiantly spend more time in that area with a probe or just dig some random test holes to the depth that you started to see ash.
    Great finds and certainly worth a banner title.
    I've been out of the loop for a while, and was surprised and honored when I logged in, and saw it on the top. Thanks guys.

Clem - YES! Wish I could have sifted.More about that in a sec. Yes, I wondered about hut site or trash pit. Still don't know. Just didn't seem to ENOUGH trash for that. Seemed to be about one or two men's refuse, you know? I cleaned up the leather and figured out it was a shoe. The reason I didn't sift, and the thing that's going to make the search for more SO much more difficult, is that I have permission (almost exclusive) on this entire site, I only get one day a year on this field!! The farmer is VERY efficient and the land never lies fallow. Every fall, he cuts his beans or corn and I get ONE DAY before he follows with a cover-crop, which I'm not allowed to hunt in. In the spring, his next crop of beans or corn goes right on top of the cover crop, so it's ONE DAY every fall. (In the fields anyway). I guess the one good thing about that, is that I'll have a fall day to look forward to every year until I croak.

Escape - Thanks for the good wishes. I hope so too, but going to be tough for the reasons listed above!
    The Rebel and Davers like this.

Charter Member

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    4522 times
    Prospecting
    Absolutely incredible finds, congratulations!!

All the best,

Lanny
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

us
    Sep 2011
    Southwest, CT
    Spectra V3i with wireless headphones, Bounty Hunter 505, 8" & 10.25" Coils,
    1136 times

WTG on an epic hunt!

Perhaps the army was moving out of winter quarters and was burning any non-usable items. I'm sure the ammo was no good as no one in their right mind would have tossed usable ammo.Try explaining that to your 1st Sgt! I'd check the Official records to see what was going on in your area.
    Davers likes this.
    SPECTRA V3i, BH 505, Pro-Pointer. Lesche Digger Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver 1663 1-Reale Cob.

Charter Member

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    4522 times
    Prospecting
    Booyahh!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links