πŸ₯‡ BANNER CIVIL WAR HUT SITE w/buttons, glass, 249 BULLET DAY and more!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best day hunting in over a year! I stumbled upon a central Virginia Hut site, which is something I've ALWAYS wanted to dig. I HAVE to tell you the story of mostly dumb luck that led me to it. I had hunted this known camp for years, and this trip had yielded 10 bullets, a shell frag, bucks and some other stuff.

DSCN4013.jpg

I got another bullet signal, but on the way to the bullet I unearthed an obviously 19th century bottle neck. The bullet was an inch or so beneath. I thought to myself, "This deserves at least a little exploration." I got below the plow line, and immediately saw a layer of black ash from a very old campfire.

DSCN3995.jpg

Having found some nice stuff around campfires before, I widened and deepened the hole.

DSCN4024.jpg

At about two feet, the neck of a handblown milk bottle (I think) first made its appearance.

DSCN4011.jpg

It was broken, but as I retrieved the pieces, another 3-ringer fell out of the dirt wall.

DSCN4018.jpg

After some buttons, a broken projectile point (Maybe the soldier was a digger, too!), a clay pipe bowl, some leather, hog bones, ration cans, and a total of four broken bottles, I noticed "bands" of rusted metal in the soil. It took me a minute to realize that I was looking at the metal remains of the bands of a wooden nail keg (barrel)! Sitting straight up and down in the pit. All the wood was long gone of course. but it was easy to see the bands, all in the right place. I wondered what might be in the bottom of that keg. As I dug, I noticed the color of the soil began to change. It was the familiar white patina of lead, mixed with the black of black powder . . .

DSCN4027.jpg

I carefully pushed my shovel in below the discoloration and when I withdrew the shovel, there were EIGHT 3-ringers in it. From that point on, the bullets came out by the handful.

DSCN4020.jpg

DSCN4028.jpg

DSCN4021.jpg

DSCN4030.jpg

I stopped counting at one hundred.

DSCN4023.jpg

It was a moving experience to sit in that pit, which had become sizable, and view it much like it was, when its previous occupants abandoned it.

DSCN4010.jpg

Final results: 239 bullets, 3 Eagle coat buttons, 2 Eagle cuffs, partial fork, pieces of 4 bottles, hog bones, broken projectile point, a line of percussion caps STILL IN THE PAPER SLEEVE, 3 china shirt buttons, Nails, melted lead, suspender buckle, leather fragments, clay pipe bowl, a piece of wood and I saved some campfire ash and the metal bands from the nail keg. Had I known my day total would have been 249 bullets, I would have hunted into the night for just ONE more! I plan to dedicate a large display area for JUST the contents of this hut site. I welcome any insight or interpretation. It's my first hut.

DSCN4014.jpg

DSCN4016.jpg

DSCN4017.jpg

DSCN4018.jpg

DSCN4020.jpg

DSCN4021.jpg

DSCN4022.jpg

Upvote 121

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That is incredible. Very well done sir. Congrats for figuring it out and scoring such a horde.

I have yet to find a three ringer, so seeing 249 is just mind boggling.

Is this a banner find? I've not seen anything like this in my 4 years here. I believe it is a banner find, vote entered.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
sweet i'm voting banner

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer finds :occasion14:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner in my opinion. Congrats

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job ! Might of been a complete uniform :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a once in a lifetime hunt. Congrats on finding that pit. I agree it's Banner worthy. My votes in.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wild hunt, congrats! Let it be said that this lead is banner worthy.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this is not a banner, I don't know what is! That's an incredible find and a day you will never forget. Like you said, I can only imagine what a feeling you must have had setting in that pit. That alone would have been worth the work to me. Congratulations on a great hunt and thanks for sharing.

HH, RN

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pure Awesomeness!
Your post is perfectly laid out just like those 3 ringers!
Wow!

rickb2202

Jan 30, 2015
nuevo mexico
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find !!!. I can imagine the conversations in that hut about home and where we going next .....

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HOLY SMOKES! With finds like that you could open your own museum! That is an incredible find. Definitely banner worthy! Congrats and happy hunting.

cgdigger

Feb 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with all of the comments - fantastic! Just one note - that first bottle is not a milk. Probably a food/fruit bottle from what I could see of it.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most magnificent find..post..story. Banner in my book...congrats on a stellar day..Ddf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread