Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings All-
Felt a bad case of " diggeritis" coming on , so I called in sick at work yesterday and spent most of the day in the woods. Ended up with a nice variety of finds, including a no-date SLQ , IHP, a couple of wheaties, and a few buttons. I was happy to find the silver quarter, and am quite intrigued by one of the buttons that appears to have the Massachusetts state seal on it. Its small ( about 15 mm), and has writing around the rim. You can clearly see the work " Massachusetts", but not much else. It does not have a shank. I've attempted some preliminary research on the internet, but so far can't find anything like it. If any fellow Mass hunters have found a button like this before, I'd love to hear from you. Cheers, and HH.
004.JPG 006.JPG 012.JPG 018.JPG 019.JPG

Upvote 21

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I have to start using more of those. Almost did today before i remembered the high temp would be 27

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC07673.JPG DSC07674.JPG

I found these in NY, but just over the border from Massachusetts. I believe I came to the conclusion that they were 1820's militia buttons, but they don't have the writing around the edges like yours appears to. Maybe your button is an earlier variety?

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a feeling that button is going to turn out to be something special! Your key is awesome! I love those and that one is a nice one. You had a great hunt!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The button looks like a Massachusetts State Guard button which has a history dating back to it's formation in 1917.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice hunt. I am a skeleton key fancier, and that's a sweet one you found.

Nice coins and button too.

Sometimes I feel sick too, usually it's "rectal glaucoma"... I know this because, I just can't see my butt going to work that day!

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
We all need a little me time now and then. Glad you got some good finds out of it.

Sometimes I feel sick too, usually it's "rectal glaucoma"... I know this because, I just can't see my butt going to work that day!

HAHAHA[emoji23] How have I missed this meme until today?

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grats on the finds. I'm definitely intrigued by that button, being from Mass. Last year I found a Mass Copper....I bet it looked a lot like that coming out of the hole. Nice!

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds/ I seem to get the diggeritis a little bit more frequent prior to the start of the cold weather. I had a bad case last Friday. Proved to be very therapeutic. Congrats on the silver and you button.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for your comments. Special thanks to Against The Wind for ID'ing the Mass button! You got it exactly right. Good Luck All.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the finds!

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if your Boss catches you, tell him you are hunting Digitalis for your Diggeritis and the detector is for finding the right mineralized soil that it grows in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread