1662 Oak Tree Twopence - Needs restoration work, but I'm happy to have it!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appeared as though 2017 would be a sparse year for older silver coins, but an outing last week has made all the difference. :hello2: Until last week, my oldest silver coin found over the past 11 months was an 1898 Barber dime. Living in New England affords wonderful opportunities for finding Colonial Period silver coins, but there are no guarantees. Last week I was at “Old Faithful” ::) — a farm so named for its past offerings over many years — a 1652 Oak Tree shilling (my avatar), a 1693 Arabian silver coin connected to Red Sea piracy, Spanish silver cobs, coppers, latten spoon fragments, spur buckles, etc.

The site’s only disadvantage is a minimum number of fields subject to seasonal plowing. This obstacle proved ever more challenging on my most recent trip, as I noticed that one often plowed field was now planted with a multi-year crop, i.e., no more plowing. :sad7: It was a well located field that had produced some good finds over several years of plowing — a good number of coppers and a pristine Liberty Seated half-dime, but I never pulled any Colonial Period silver from this choice location. This most recent plowing of the soil however, this one last tilling of the soil for years to come, had finally pulled up a prized coin from a depth beyond the capabilities of my detector and all my prior searching. I walked the edge of the field on my way to another area and noticed a wide border of bare dirt that permitted some fast sweeping. My walking slowed down to a slower pace and sweep as I dug a small piece of lead, a hot rock, and a third signal. I initially suspected another hot rock but noticed its numbers ran too high and consistent. After a bit of shoveling, my pinpointer located a small clod of dirt that yielded a tiny bent disc of metal dark gray in color with highpoints of bright silver.

127.jpg

128.jpg

Upon close examination, I noticed a beaded circle design on this apparent coin — a sure sign that I had just recovered a Massachusetts silver coin. :icon_cheers: I rinsed the coin with a bottle of water as well as I could manage. During the first few moments, I figured that I could have the coin straightened by a jeweler perhaps, but I was getting ahead of myself. In attempting to determine the coin’s denomination - a two-pence or a three-pence — I blew the last clod of dirt right through the coin. “Oh God — I ruined the coin! :icon_pale: No — Keep calm! It was holed long ago. Breathe. Inhale. Exhale.”

The coin is a 1662 Oak Tree twopence, Noe-32 variety. About 1/3 the weight of a modern US dime, it’s smaller and much thinner.

PB160004.JPG

PB160002.JPG

The method of punching a hole in this coin is odd. It appears that the coin was holed over an uneven surface and the coin was bent in the process.

PB160018.JPG

In most holed coins, the displaced silver is absorbed around the outside of the hole resulting in bead of raised silver. The displaced silver on this twopence is splayed out in sections extending away from the coin. There is also a small crevice in the coin further out from the center. The oddly-shaped hole is a bit interesting, although I would certainly prefer having avoided the matter entirely with the recovery of an unmarred coin. Excluding a cut piece of a shilling from a few years back, it’s been 11 years since I recovered my first Mass Silver coin, so I’m glad to have another coin in any condition.

So what to do with the coin’s current appearance? ??? A highly-skilled silversmith is willing to straighten the coin. While he can possibly close the perforation as well, he will not fill and doctor the hole, which is to be expected. Should I have the splayed silver from the puncture folded back into place? It may result in a better view of the coin’s details (date), but I’m more inclined to leave the hole as I found it and preserve the coin’s history of use. I’ve read that collectors are more forgiving of holed coins from the Colonial Period, of which Spanish cobs and Mass Silver are best known for their rustic charm. The silversmith believes that the coin can perhaps be straightened without annealing. It would be better to not expose the coin to a torch as part of the annealing process, but will there be a greater risk of snapping the coin? I’ve seen video from England in which annealing hammered coins appears to be a standard practice. I appreciate any suggestions or opinions on how to best restore this coin, so please weigh-in with your own two-cents (or two-pence :laughing7:) of advice if you wish.

And what of my remaining search of the property? I phoned the farmer, who I’ve known for many years, about the twopence, and he gave me permission to search the planted field. The up and down contour of the ground made for difficult hunting, but I managed one more early find, a partial latten spoon. It was likely a seal handle variety dating from the 17th century to early 18th century. The maker’s mark on the spoon is too far gone with surface corrosion to identify. In an adjacent field, I also found a spur buckle fragment, dating to the 1680s with decorative rosettes. Three finds over the course of several hours of searching, but what the site lacked in quantity was made up ten-fold in quality.

PB160022.JPG

Sorry for the long details on this recovery, but it’s not like I’ll be posting such finds anytime soon — then again, who knows? Let’s stay positive and see what happens! I wanted to post some information of the whole subject of putting holes in coins. For those of us searching for old colonial coins, it seems like such a horrendous practice. Perhaps the topic can be discussed in this thread?

Finally, I mentioned the earlier recovery of a 1693 Arabian silver coin from the same site that produced the two-pence. I posted it back in 2014 when it made the banner. I recently authored a 43-page article on this coin and other similar Arabian coins all recovered in Southern New England and all connected to piracy on the Red Sea at the close of the 17th Century. The article was published in the Colonial Newsletter, a research journal published by the American Numismatic Society. With the recovery of this latest Mass Silver, it would seem an appropriate time for a long overdue update of the thread titled “1693 Hammered Silver — A Pirate’s Coin.” Keep a look out for this thread if interested. My published research connects these Arabian coins found by New England detectorists, including some posted here on T-Net, to one of the greatest piracies in history — the plundering of the Mughal treasure ship, Gunsway, by Captain Henry Every of the Fancy in 1695! :skullflag::skullflag::skullflag:

Good Hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 56
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story, photos and coin recovery...congratulations! :occasion14:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing find man. And everything surrounding it in the last pic fits the puzzle perfectly. Congrats and certainly a banner find!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and wonderful story, thanks for sharing!!!

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! I would leave it as is. It has a story behind it.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice recovery and story! I love reading about the history of pirates who plundered the Islamic ships of the Arabian seas and then splurged their plunder here in the North East. I believe the one I am most familiar with is the pirate Captain Thomas Tew who plundered the Sultan's treasure ship that was carrying the vast dowry for his daughter's marriage. Captain Tew returned to Rhode Island the wealthiest man and all his crew were wealthy as well. So the men went out for several months of hardcore partying - tossing the Sultan's treasure to every bar and saloon they could visit. The plunder was so enormous it likely entered circulation and likely more than a few drunk pirate crew members lost a few coins. SO when someone with a metal detector finds a late-17th-century Islamic coin they are most likely part of Captain Tew's pirate plunder from the Sultan's treasure ship that he captured in the Red Sea in 1693. The funny thing about Tew was he was not content with the king's ransom he had plundered (as he likely lived for adventure more than wealth) so he went on another voyage and in 1695 he took a direct hit by a cannon ball that literally tore him in two. Poor guy, hard to believe this all happened it's so fantastical. :laughing7::skullflag:

ClovisOak

Jul 11, 2012
Chicagoland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Bounty Hunter, Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great banner find and great read. Thanks for sharing. On your previous pirate themed coin maybe this coin was nailed to a mast and in a hurry someone stole it, prying it off giving the weird shape. The thief brought it to shore and lost it as he/she was being chased. Imagination gone wild... Would explain the metal displaced out of the hole and weird bending. I would leave as is with the story it could tell.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice post and wow for the coin.
Congrats

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find - Banner ! I'm guessing that in its current condition ( holed ,and folded up as such ) the coin might have to be heated to 900 -1100 degrees farenheight (annealing temp ) in order to bring it to a flat disc without stress fracturing it . The problem is that in so doing , any original patina will be consumed. Maybe get some expert consultation on this by comunicating with conservators at P.C.G.S. or other early numismatic experts .

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post That find is freakin awesome no matter what condition!!!!!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Banner! A shame that they had to punch a hole in it, but still, who knows if it would have been dropped and you would have found it otherwise. Congrats on the find of a lifetime or two!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your forest of tree coins is growing. Gotta love that. Awesome find. :notworthy:

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver Tree - huge congratulations on finding the tuppence! The detail is so crisp I would have a hard time not attempting restoration, but they can’t restore the tree so I don’t know. I remember your Arabian coin post too. The history is just too fascinating to fully wrap one’s mind around the fact that this stuff happened and your coin was on the scene at the time. Great stuff.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post buddy! I personally would leave that baby as is and display it proudly. Whatever was done to it is part of that coins story. To a collector that may not mean anything but to a history loving colonial treasure hunter it means everything. Whichever way you go I wish you the best of luck. I’m really happy to see that you salvaged the year with such a fantastic find. I will place a BANNER vote for this coin but the BANNER seems as though it may be allergic to rare and early colonial coinage.

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an amazing banner find. I would love to see what it looks like restored. Go for it!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find - Banner ! I'm guessing that in its current condition ( holed ,and folded up as such ) the coin might have to be heated to 900 -1100 degrees farenheight (annealing temp ) in order to bring it to a flat disc without stress fracturing it . The problem is that in so doing , any original patina will be consumed. Maybe get some expert consultation on this by comunicating with conservators at P.C.G.S. or other early numismatic experts .

Congrats on the recovery of the silver and the great write up.

I agree on the what happens when it's annealed, having a few hammered straightened though when brought back from the annealed heated look the silver does for some reason does have bit of the original look of toning. It's a hard one to decide on, having the original look isn't the greatest given the quality of the strike. I would be siding on having it straightened but with a mellower heating of the silver, have heard of guys just heating the silver to half of what a torch would be doing, but still it is high enough to make the silver workable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread