Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Went out last week for a Thanksgiving marathon with Shangalang and Diggergirl (my wife). Her and I got to spend Thanksgiving together camping out at the dig site, and Shangalang came to visit and dig with us some. Along with lots of great finds for all of of us, little did I know that I'd leave the field with a Six Pound Turkey--and no, I'm not talking about the bird! Became swamped with work so I didn't get this posted until now. Glad to have everything cleaned and the cannonball in the tank :)

Here's the video:

The finds are too numerous to recount in a written form, so please watch the video I'll just show some photos from the field:

1848-O Seated Half Dime (beaten to death she's pretty to me)

IMG_1191.JPG IMG_1192.JPG

The center of a 3-piece button which (strangely enough) DiggerGirl found the rim of on a previous hunt. I think I'm gonna have it restored for her if possible. It's a University of the South (Sewanee) button! The center of it has a handshake and reads "Ecce Quam Bonum" in Latin. (Non-dug example pictured as well):

212_1465.JPG IMG_5711.JPG

A Civil War rivet from a Sword Belt rig:

212_1467.JPG

A silver Catholic medallion sticking out of the dirt:

212_1478.JPG

An Eagle "I" cuff button and a New York cuff button:

IMG_1187.JPG IMG_1188.JPG

Numerous old beads (Rosary, Mardi Gras, or Trade--but probably the first 2 options coming from this field). I got this nice big cobalt blue:

IMG_1190.JPG

An apothecary weight or coin weight:

IMG_1185.JPG IMG_1186.JPG

Diggergirl got a nice Spanish-style spur rowel and a Civil War era "pocket Saint" made out of lead that I'm pretty jealous of:

DGs finds1.JPG

I dug five old nickels, and for once all of them had dates :D 1870 Shield, 1916-D Buffalo, and 1901, 1904, and 1906 V Nickels.

IMG_1197.JPG IMG_1198.JPG IMG_1199.JPG IMG_1200.JPG IMG_1201.JPG

Numerous marbles, flat buttons, jeans buttons, glass buttons, baby doll legs and arms, some spur pieces and other interesting bits were dug.

I dug linked 1944 Philippine Occupation silver coins. We have found 3 others of these coins in this field and thought that they were perhaps souvenirs brought home from WWII--or buttons on a garment that was tossed out. This pair confirms that they were in fact a bracelet.

IMG_1196.JPG

And of course--my Six Pound baby which I flipped out of a deeep hole:

IMG_5623.JPG IMG_5625a.jpg

Here are some of DG and my finds. Missing are the iron finds, including the shell fragments I dug (which I think are Schenkl, but electrolysis will confirm).

DGs finds.JPG IMG_1183.JPG

I did have one wardrobe malfunction, which is par for the course for me. Luckily this time it was only a boot lace and not the butt of my pants.

:laughing7:

IMG_5627.JPG

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Cane Bandits.jpg

The CaneField Bandits

Last edited:
Upvote 47

Louisiana Ken

Sep 17, 2012
Lacombe, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excallibur II
Minelab E-Trac
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice finds!!!!!! Keep the vids coming!!!!!!!!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds as usual. Since you all find more half dimes than anybody else, I have to ask just how many do you have? Must be nice to hunt an area where silver was pretty much all that circulated in that time period. I wouldnt care if I ever dug another toasted copper from my fields

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds as usual. Since you all find more half dimes than anybody else, I have to ask just how many do you have? Must be nice to hunt an area where silver was pretty much all that circulated in that time period. I wouldnt care if I ever dug another toasted copper from my fields

It's interesting, we've actually dug more spanish silvers than seated. I think that's because seateds didn't circulate here much until the 1840s, and spanish silver continued to circulate until close to the Civil War. In six years, we've dug 51 Seated Half Dimes and 82 Half Reales. Seems like we always want to dig what we don't regularly find. I really want to dig a KG copper. Been wanting one for years and couldn't get my coil over one when I lived in the mountains of Virginia or KY.

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BuckleBoy you have to be in Louisiana too? Throw some of that luck my way and congratulations on your finds. With all your past finds you are quite impressive. Great job my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds wow Id be freakin really glad to find all that and a cannon ball. Thanks for posting em hope you find that copper soon Tommy

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the video and nice post. Exceptional finds as usual. You get some really nice old coins and relics. I’m really liking the pocket saint and Bennington marble. Congrats sir.

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet!!! What a great day and a cannonball as a topper. That is on the very tip-top of my bucket list. One of these days, hopefully. Thanks for sharing your finds.
Saftgeek-

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video and awesome finds! Love all the glass beads and the cannonball! The Saint and rowel are special pieces there! Way to go guys, keep it up!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congratulations! I haven't had a hunt anywhere near successful......yet. Post like this keep me motivated and inspired to get back out there, thanks!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
NICE DIGS! I found one of those Philippine's silvers back in the 80's. Grats!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt and amazing treasures. Keep those videos coming they are very contagious to
A positive attitude to keep going...”there is treasure out there in them fields...”

F2E37FF0-52CA-4FEE-9D94-DAC03B7D41E7.png D3FD39C0-EFBE-49FD-8D4A-78F2B5FCE8FB.png

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds wow Id be freakin really glad to find all that and a cannon ball. Thanks for posting em hope you find that copper soon Tommy

Thanks Tommy, I hope I can dig a KG soon too. Been forever since we've even dug a LC down here. I think they all hear us coming and burrow deeper in the ground :D

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the video and nice post. Exceptional finds as usual. You get some really nice old coins and relics. I’m really liking the pocket saint and Bennington marble. Congrats sir.

Thanks so much for your kind reply, Tom!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread