Mind Blown in a Dirty Corn Field!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. The wind died down so out to the field after work for a quick hunt. First target screaming just beneath the surface was a totally twisted old brass spoon. Much character in the curves. Next good signal turned up the surprise perfume bottle. Nice. A scratchy yet solid signal turned up the old Rail Road Button. It has an iron back thus the scratchiness. I got the twisted old brass buckle that I managed to flatten out some. Having fun so far and my fingers aren't frozen off.

I was just working a few feet into the field from it's edge when I get a solid 25 VDI signal on my Makro Racer 2. I pinpoint the target and find a tiny zip lock bag that is torn in half. I check the little baggy and there is a ring in it! WHAT?!???? It looks like GOLD and not corroded. It had a four prong setting which was filled with dirt and missing the stone. Bummer I thought. At this point I am like what the heck is this baggy with a ring in it doing out in this corn field? I put the ring back into the ripped in half zip lock baggy and put it in my pouch.

As the sun was setting over the horizon I get a surface signal screaming PENNY! I pinpoint what I believe is a toasted Indian Head Cent. Not sure however in the bad lighting I was hoping for the Flying Eagle Cent I have been chasing for nine years. Well having found enough good targets and curious as to what my coin was I head home. I washed the coin off and grab my Optivisor 10X to get a better look at this old copper and sure enough I finally bagged my FIRST Flying Eagle Cent! She's a 1857 and I love the patina on it. I let out some serious shouts of Victory and Joy and then hit my knees and thank my Creator for allowing me to recover this super cool coin and the gold ring.

I checked the gold ring for a stamp mark and it's a 14K real deal gold ring. I kept the baggy along with my other finds in my sink as it was part of this recovery. As I was washing the baggy I notice a lump in the upper corner near the zipper part of the bag. NO WAY! YES WAY! I spied a nice sized diamond tucked up in the corner of this ripped in half zip lock baggy I found in a freshly ploughed corn field! I could not believe what had just occurred. Mind blown and about ready to hyper ventilate I call my best friend and tector buddy and share the amazing news.

As I write this post I am still feeling like I am in an episode of the Twilight Zone. So grateful for having the health to hunt and some pretty decent spots to find the good stuff. Thanks to ALL of my T-net buddies for so much encouragement to keep after it. If not for you I would probably have given up for the season. Now I have a full tank of gas and am ready for a few more goodies before freeze up. Thanks for stopping by. Ya'll ROCK! Kurios1

Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 001.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 002.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 003.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 006.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 010.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 012.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 011.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 013.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 015.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 028.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 029.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 016.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 017.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 026.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 027.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 019.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 020.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 023.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 024.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 025.JPG

Upvote 58
OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have been so easy to lose that rock without even knowing you had it.
Congrats on your luck and skill as a badass detectorist.

WOO HOO! I'm a bad ass treasure hunter! LOL! Thanks Dave. Honestly I can barely take credit for this one. I'm leaning toward some spiritual intervention or angelic assistance. Not one to get all religious over such things but, one who has experienced some real miracles or else I would most certainly be dead. Whatever the case may be I got me a gold ring and a rock from a ripped open baggy in a freshly ploughed corn field. Whoda' thunk it?:dontknow::icon_scratch:???

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That field sure grows some nice treasures! Congratulations on the ring and nice flying eagle. I sure like the design of that coin!!

When I saw the ground was tilled I almost started drooling. This field is very close to where I dug three civil war Eagle buttons this year. I figured there has to be some old coinage in this field. Hope the weather holds out a bit longer so I can get a few more keepers from this spot. Thanks mate!:hello:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Frickin' awesome there Kevin! Got your coin and a nice gold ring with a rock! Really, what the heck was it doing out there:icon_scratch:. Congrats man, a nice way to finish up the season, but I know you'll be back out there!:occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Triple congrats of a hunt Kevin WTG!
Not only did you strike off the FE off the bucket list you got another couple of keepers.
The odds of getting a diamond ring as the one you recovered in a corn field is off the charts. A real head scratched for sure on the why's it was there and why it stayed in the baggie.
It was ment to be, congrats on the great hunt once again.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kevin
That`s is a great post to go along with a very fine hunt Gold Ring in a baggie in a corn field ...wild !
Gary

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool beans, I love that the diamond was still in the bag!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy Smokes! Amazing find. Do you think the farmer's wife lost the ring? Sounds like it was on its way to the jewelers to be repaired when it was dropped (also sounds like something I'd do... Geez, Hon, I had it right here in my pocket. I don't know what could have happened to it!). I bet someone is in big trouble. Great bunch of finds.
HH
dts

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool beans..I scored almost the same ring in a community garden Thursday.

DSCN5566.JPG

GOD Bless

Chris

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K1, Now THAT is a great hunt with very interesting finds, congratulations! Sub 8-)

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on TWO great finds! Amazing job. What did you 'wash' the penny with? Every time I put water on coppers I'm always disappointed. Glad yours came out great!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really shocking finds. Congrats on the Flying Eagle Penny. I feel bad for the farmer who had to tell his wife that he lost her ring. Unbelievable.
You have had a great December so far and who knows,, you just might get in a few more hunts before winter sets in. It's 16°F here, so the fat lady is getting ready to sing.
Congratulations on a great hunt.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATZ Mr. LUCKY!!!!! What's your plans with the ring? Testing, repair, giving to the Mrs?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding finds. Anyone of us would have tossed that bag without a second thought. Details.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a cool turn of events.
Ring turns into a diamond ring
and coin turns into a flying eagle.
Congrats

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great finds!!

-- Jeff --

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the FE, the two found I couldn't even get a date off them. If you start putting inquiries out about a lost ring, only the person that lost it and maybe immediate family could describe it as being in a plastic bag with a lose stone.

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Kurios... what can I say that already hasn't been said? Anybody that is out there, in the fields, when it's 20 to 30 degrees. Well, they are in need of a section 8 or on a serious mission. Judging by the story and pics, I'm going to say mission accomplished. Congrats to you Mister.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions