Mind Blown in a Dirty Corn Field!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. The wind died down so out to the field after work for a quick hunt. First target screaming just beneath the surface was a totally twisted old brass spoon. Much character in the curves. Next good signal turned up the surprise perfume bottle. Nice. A scratchy yet solid signal turned up the old Rail Road Button. It has an iron back thus the scratchiness. I got the twisted old brass buckle that I managed to flatten out some. Having fun so far and my fingers aren't frozen off.

I was just working a few feet into the field from it's edge when I get a solid 25 VDI signal on my Makro Racer 2. I pinpoint the target and find a tiny zip lock bag that is torn in half. I check the little baggy and there is a ring in it! WHAT?!???? It looks like GOLD and not corroded. It had a four prong setting which was filled with dirt and missing the stone. Bummer I thought. At this point I am like what the heck is this baggy with a ring in it doing out in this corn field? I put the ring back into the ripped in half zip lock baggy and put it in my pouch.

As the sun was setting over the horizon I get a surface signal screaming PENNY! I pinpoint what I believe is a toasted Indian Head Cent. Not sure however in the bad lighting I was hoping for the Flying Eagle Cent I have been chasing for nine years. Well having found enough good targets and curious as to what my coin was I head home. I washed the coin off and grab my Optivisor 10X to get a better look at this old copper and sure enough I finally bagged my FIRST Flying Eagle Cent! She's a 1857 and I love the patina on it. I let out some serious shouts of Victory and Joy and then hit my knees and thank my Creator for allowing me to recover this super cool coin and the gold ring.

I checked the gold ring for a stamp mark and it's a 14K real deal gold ring. I kept the baggy along with my other finds in my sink as it was part of this recovery. As I was washing the baggy I notice a lump in the upper corner near the zipper part of the bag. NO WAY! YES WAY! I spied a nice sized diamond tucked up in the corner of this ripped in half zip lock baggy I found in a freshly ploughed corn field! I could not believe what had just occurred. Mind blown and about ready to hyper ventilate I call my best friend and tector buddy and share the amazing news.

As I write this post I am still feeling like I am in an episode of the Twilight Zone. So grateful for having the health to hunt and some pretty decent spots to find the good stuff. Thanks to ALL of my T-net buddies for so much encouragement to keep after it. If not for you I would probably have given up for the season. Now I have a full tank of gas and am ready for a few more goodies before freeze up. Thanks for stopping by. Ya'll ROCK! Kurios1

Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 001.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 002.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 003.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 006.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 010.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 012.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 011.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 013.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 015.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 028.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 029.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 016.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 017.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 026.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 027.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 019.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 020.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 023.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 024.JPG Gold & Diamond Flying Eagle WOW 025.JPG

Upvote 58
OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on TWO great finds! Amazing job. What did you 'wash' the penny with? Every time I put water on coppers I'm always disappointed. Glad yours came out great!

I have always used a tooth brush and tooth paste. Non fluoride.;D Hot water bath and perhaps a few I would soak in some type of vegetable oil. Grape seed oil of late. Many would choose to remove the patina from my old coin to reveal more detail but, I will leave it as is for now as I dig the aged patina on old stuff. It adds to the dating of the target and coolness factor for me personally.:hello:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATZ Mr. LUCKY!!!!! What's your plans with the ring? Testing, repair, giving to the Mrs?

No Mrs. to haggle with here. My mind is trying to play detective and locate the owner of this ring and diamond. I would love to return it to them. Always brings good fortune your way when doing the right thing. I have gained lots of farm land permissions through returning lost artifacts to the family. Can never have too much hunting ground. I know a jeweler I can take it to have it appraised and estimates for a reset and cleaning. Who knows where this find may lead me?:dontknow:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really shocking finds. Congrats on the Flying Eagle Penny. I feel bad for the farmer who had to tell his wife that he lost her ring. Unbelievable.
You have had a great December so far and who knows,, you just might get in a few more hunts before winter sets in. It's 16°F here, so the fat lady is getting ready to sing.
Congratulations on a great hunt.

I just talked to my neighbor who owns the field I found the ring in. He doesn't know of anyone in his family that has lost anything like this ring. I told him to ask around a bit about any lost items of significant and sentimental value. I didn't offer a detailed description of the ring due to the fact that some of his grand kids are a bit out there and may lay claim to anything of value I recovered. He hee! I ain't giving this thing to anyone but, the rightful owner. Adios and thanks mate.:hello:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATZ Mr. LUCKY!!!!! What's your plans with the ring? Testing, repair, giving to the Mrs?

Started inquiring about any lost items with the field owner and he doesn't know of anyone who claims to have lost anything. I told him to ask around the family. If this leads no where then I'll have the ring and rock cleaned and reset. I am "kurios" what this thing will appraise at. I may be my most valuable recovery as far as $$$ dollars goes. No Mrs., mistress, girl friends, gold diggers, etc here! If the rightful owner isn't located this diamond ring becomes PIRATE BOOTY!:blackbeard::skullflag::icon_pirat:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! Welcome to the FE club!

Thanks mate! Nine years into this treasure hunting thing and I am finally becoming more serious about notching off Bucket List coins, artifacts, relics, tokens, etc. This has been a good year recovering my first Shield Nickel and now my Flying Eagle Cent. I really want that little Seated Half Dime and will be looking for that and all other coins I have never dug yet.:hello:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding finds. Anyone of us would have tossed that bag without a second thought. Details.

I can only say the Lord was in this recovery from well before I hit this field. The fact that the ring and diamond remained in that mangled baggy is amazing in itself. Let alone that I had the presence of mind to put the ring back into the baggy and put it in my "safer" good finds pouch. I really need little containers for these better recoveries. Even a pill bottle would work better than my dirty hunting pouch. I could have lost the diamond very easily while dumping the dirt into the trash can as I do frequently. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you got the knack of field hunting down. Congrats on the ring and nice FE

I have been taking "notes" from some sage veteran treasure hunters the likes of yourself mate. I will be logging a lot of miles through the fields the rest of my days!:icon_salut:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the FE, the two found I couldn't even get a date off them. If you start putting inquiries out about a lost ring, only the person that lost it and maybe immediate family could describe it as being in a plastic bag with a lose stone.

Indeed my friend. I have contacted the field owner and he didn't loose it. I told him to ask around the family for any lost "items" of significant and sentimental value. NO specific details of the recovery were provided. Chances are very unlikely they are "lurking" on T-net and reading this post! If they rightful owner isn't found I won't have ANY problem with cleaning this ring and having it reset and appraised for a value. It has to be one of my more significant $$$ dollar value finds for sure. Only three or so gold rings recovered in my nine years hunting career. None this nice though.:thumbsup:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. Strange to find that in a cornfield. Your post title is just begging for a reply that uses a play on words but I just can't seem to come up with one that's family friendly. :laughing7: So, this being a family site I will rein it in and just say big congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Kurios... what can I say that already hasn't been said? Anybody that is out there, in the fields, when it's 20 to 30 degrees. Well, they are in need of a section 8 or on a serious mission. Judging by the story and pics, I'm going to say mission accomplished. Congrats to you Mister.

Unashamedly Section 8 material here mate!:tongue3: I do love the passion for getting things notched off the bucket list. This field has great potential in getting a few more of those firsts. I'll keep after it until freeze up. :thumbsup:

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started inquiring about any lost items with the field owner and he doesn't know of anyone who claims to have lost anything. I told him to ask around the family. If this leads no where then I'll have the ring and rock cleaned and reset. I am "kurios" what this thing will appraise at. I may be my most valuable recovery as far as $$$ dollars goes. No Mrs., mistress, girl friends, gold diggers, etc here! If the rightful owner isn't located this diamond ring becomes PIRATE BOOTY!:blackbeard::skullflag::icon_pirat:

You my friend are truly Mr.LUCKY!!!!!

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is nothing short of amazing. It would appear someone was going to get the stone reset and put them in the baggie? Congrats.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a couple of nice finds Kurios. That ring story is unreal, but I have to go with the Flying Eagle as my favorite. Guess I'm just a coin shooter by trade !

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some awesome finds!! Amazing ring and congratulations on the Flying Eagle!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds! Sure hope the diamond is real!:occasion14:

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some nice finds! Hard to imagine why the ring ended up in a bag, in a field.

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is nothing short of amazing. It would appear someone was going to get the stone reset and put them in the baggie? Congrats.

That would be my deduction. So far the field owner knows nothing of anyone reporting to have lost anything like this? I may put a notice of the find on the bulletin board in our local post office. Of course not describing the details of the find but, just something kind of vague. We'll see what comes of this.:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread